eBay fees now 3.5% for pedals too?

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Are eBay fees for pedals 3.5% now? I know that they cut fees for guitars to 3.5% but other musical gear fees were lower than 10% but still greater than 3.5% (e.g. 7.5% or so).

I just checked and it looks like eBay cut fees further to 3.5%.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
It looked like they cut it all to 3.5% but that is different than a few days ago (!??).

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Reverb must've been noticeably cutting into their margins. Impressive to see a startup manipulate eBay's markets and pricing structure give how long they've controlled the secondary sales market for literally everything.

Edited to add: this also shows how much $$$$$ is in guitar and gear sales these days. eBay wouldn't change its pricing policy if losing the biz didn't hurt its bottom line.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
I seem to recall getting an email from Ebay about fee reductions for (certain categories of?) music kit.

But I also seem to recall that is was temporary. But I might well be mistaken about that.

Squatch57

Still 9.9% final value fees in Australia, they obviously aren't concerned with the smaller markets
We always get ripped off here anyway, with the bogus 'exchange rates' and Global Shipping, the biggest rort ever conceived

Squatch57

Nothing to stop OS sellers listing on the US site, then the US rates apply
A bit more fiddly, but if you use Turbo Lister etc it's a doddle. One way of saving 6.4%

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
Reverb was kicking there ass on musical gear, and when they asked musicians why, they were told the greed had become to much and the fees to high.
They used to have a sliding scale that went according to the value, once they made it a flat rate, paying 10% ebay and 3% PPL (Which ebay owns) was just to much on high dollar items, your talking $260 in fees on a 2k guitar transaction, and then shipping n top of that.

I can personally say, they lost out on earning $ from me buy pushing it to far.

groovington

Who cares if they lowered their fees... How long do they take to actually give you the money? On Reverb, items sell and the money goes straight to your PP account instead of waiting for the item to be received and whatever else holds up eBay from giving you your money.

Squatch57

Who cares if they lowered their fees... How long do they take to actually give you the money? On Reverb, items sell and the money goes straight to your PP account instead of waiting for the item to be received and whatever else holds up eBay from giving you your money.
it's the same really, my received Paypal from eBay goes into my account straight away
Where it does differ is when you're a newbie with no feedback
Paypal holds funds longer in some cases because too many newbies were rorting the system and not posting items

Able Grip

eBay is the corporatization of the flea market, garage sale and old school classified ads. They have tried to shoehorn in on every deal ever made. Hope they choke on it.

groovington

it's the same really, my received Paypal from eBay goes into my account straight away
Where it does differ is when you're a newbie with no feedback
Paypal holds funds longer in some cases because too many newbies were rorting the system and not posting items
Ah, I see. I guess I was still a newb even though I bought about 20+ things and sold maybe a half dozen and had 100% positive feedback. Much happier with Reverb anyway.

Kennyscrown

No sign of lowered fees in the U.K. Obviously the competition i.e. Reverb haven't got a foothold here yet.

I rarely sell anything of value unless there is an eBay offer on - sell for £1, 50% off final value fee etc.

However, the idea of being able to list an item on the US site is attractive - is that easy?

wildschwein

Still 9.9% final value fees in Australia, they obviously aren't concerned with the smaller markets
We always get ripped off here anyway, with the bogus 'exchange rates' and Global Shipping, the biggest rort ever conceived
Yeah -- it's almost not worth selling on there now. Big ticket items really sting you with the fees and then if you transfer the money out of Paypal you pay more fees.

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
Don't forget they also take 10% of the postage paid..which seems illegal to me
That's to keep people from getting around the fee by charging outrageous shipping. Oh, you want this original 5E3? $1! But $3000 shipping...

Not standing up for eBay, just saying that taking whatever fee off the total price including shipping is necessary to make sure people don't game the system. Charging a PP fee when you own PP is a completely different story...

songtalk

That's to keep people from getting around the fee by charging outrageous shipping. Oh, you want this original 5E3? $1! But $3000 shipping...

Not standing up for eBay, just saying that taking whatever fee off the total price including shipping is necessary to make sure people don't game the system. Charging a PP fee when you own PP is a completely different story...
No measures were taken to protect people from inflated shipping! Ebay just wanted to profit off of the dishonest selling practices and it is totally shady. I sell everything on Reverb. Ebay would have to send me a check for all the fees they charged me back when I sold on there to get me to even consider selling there again and even then I'd probably still abstain.

Reverb is just so much more patently awesome.

I reported someone who took my money and ran to Reverb personnel and my money was back in my paypal account and they gave me a bunch of free bumps for my active sales. The guilty account got banned instantly all items still for sale removed.

That's service.

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
No measures were taken to protect people from inflated shipping! Ebay just wanted to profit off of the dishonest selling practices and it is totally shady. I sell everything on Reverb. Ebay would have to send me a check for all the fees they charged me back when I sold on there to get me to even consider selling there again and even then I'd probably still abstain.

Reverb is just so much more patently awesome.

I reported someone who took my money and ran to Reverb personnel and my money was back in my paypal account and they gave me a bunch of free bumps for my active sales. The guilty account got banned instantly all items still for sale removed.

That's service.
No measures are taken on Reverb to protect against inflated shipping either. I never said it was to protect the consumer. It's how eBay (and Reverb) protect themselves from not getting fees due to people under charging on items and over charging on shipping.

Trending Topics