eBay Global Shipping seems pretty cool...Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MollyPolly, Jan 20, 2015.

1. MollyPolly

MollyPolly Senior Member

I just sold a snare drum on eBay to a guy from Canada.

It was a best offer transaction, and in my final message to him, I told him that shipping was going to be $85 or so.

So I accepted his offer, and he proceeded to pay via PayPal, but used the Global Shipping option instead of sending me the $85.

At first I was furious, until I realized that I had inadvertently offered this as an option in the listing. After some further research, I think it actually might have been a blessing in disguise.

Evidently all shipments through this program go through Pittney Bowes in KY, so you collect shipping charges for the first leg of the trip--in this case $15 or so--and the buyer handles the rest of the shipping and customs charges between KY and the final destination on their end.

Anyone have any experience/issues with this program? Seems like a an obvious profit center for eBay, but seemingly at the expense of the buyer.

Also, if this guy wants to return the item after paying customs, how does that work?

2. Clyde Billt

Clyde Billt Member

Before the US isolationists weigh in.......

As a buyer it works well for me.
    The tax is worked out before the end of the auction and I can figure that into my budget. No nasty surprises from Her Majesty's Robbing Customs.
    Once I've paid all I have to do is wait for delivery.

I realise that it's on by default and not all sellers are aware so I usually message them before bidding because if you want to sell to some people but not others then that is your prerogative.

3. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

I'm not an isolationist, and don't have a problem selling to responsible international buyers -- but this program can and has backfired for sellers. There have been multiple cases where the item gets delivered safely to the shipping center, and is subsequently delayed or damaged. If that happens, eBay will still hold the seller responsible.

I won't use it.

4. JackJordan

JackJordan Member

I've sold using the Global Shipping program three times and it worked very well for me. As a matter of fact, the last three things I sold were quickly bought by international buyers instead of U.S. buyers. I didn't mind at all, as I was able to treat them as though they were U.S. buyers and Ebay handled the rest. The upside is that I was able to advertise to a broader audience.

I haven't thought of a downside to the Global Shipping program yet, though I'm sure someone wit more experience might be able to weigh in on what those might be.

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I've only used it once but it was smooth. I sold a guitar to a guy in Australia, the package was routed there from a Fed Ex facility in Kentucky I believe, then to Australia. The tracking # worked great and it only took about a week to get there from Minnesota.

6. MollyPolly

MollyPolly Senior Member

I'm really curious about the returns. Not to sound like a dick, but if returns are more of a PITA for international buyers, I'll choose the international offers every time.

In other words, if the transaction in just as easy, but the international buyer stands to get clobbered by customs and shipping charges if they change their mind, returns seem like they would be less likely.

7. teledude55

teledude55 Member

yeah, I sold a pedal that I listed for U.S. buyers only but it got bought by some dude in Italy through the Global Shipping program. It all worked out well but I was annoyed a bit since I didn't know about the program before hand. I typically don't use the received Paypal funds until the shipment is confirmed received, so I had to wait a week longer for it to get to Italy.

8. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

NOT COOL.AVOID

Here is my horror story-

I sold two items, one to Italy and one to Canada. Both were shipped on the same day in Priority Mail boxes to the eBay Global Shipping hub in Kentucky. The hub mixed up the packages, and sent them to the wrong buyers.....guy in Italy gets the package for Canada, vice versa. So, both of these people open return claims against me, as prompted by eBay. I tell them to remove the label and take a picture of the label underneath that I filled out properly. They include that in the claim, so there is now evidence that I did not screw up. EBay still decides in their favor, with no explanation, and refunds them out of my account. I now have no money and no items, and have to deal with calling eBay and Paypal to attempt to get my money back. The kicker? This is the second time they've done this. Unbelievable. I am closing my account as soon as this is over.

smiert spionam likes this.
  9. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    GSP charges tax from the 1rst penny, the PO does not. One can cross the border and by up to a certain dollar amount and not be taxed on return to Canada. It's a scam! I won't buy if a seller is using it.

10. Serdontos

Serdontos Member

My experience

I've used it many times to ship guitars and amps from USA to Europe, Asia and Australia.

Never an issue for me or the buyers.

It just takes a lot of the hassle out of shipping international.

11. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

The hassle comes when there is a problem. Use it enough, and it will happen. Believe me, I used to think it was nice and easy. Screw that and screw eBay/Paypal. They are thieves and liars.

12. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Doesn't help that they "automatically enroll you", and it's a pain to opt out.

Purchased an A.P.C. overcoat from the U.K., paid almost $150 shipping and "Customs".
    Buy from the U.K regularly, rarely pay duties/customs (let alone near 30-40%).

Thievery, plain and simple.

13. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

I'm never using it again.

I sent a pedal out to the States, guy said he thought it was a different version, we sorted a deal to compensate him as the hassle of waiting and getting it back was too long, he receives it and says it's damaged. I know when it went out that it was not.

So now my Paypal is in the negative for the next 3 weeks till I get it back, I'm either going to get it back damaged, or hopefully in the same condition because he just wants the refund, which I suspect is the case, and then I've got to refund the guy regardless and relist it, but I'm still down £100.

I rarely have issues like this with eBay/PayPal, but the wait is ridiculous.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Matt L and smiert spionam like this.
  14. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I sold an EBMM Axis to a guy in Singapore and was pretty chapped about it, since the listing said lower 48 only. I didn't know about the GSP. The buyer didn't understand it too well either, but insisted he had paid extra for the GSP and wanted me to ship directly to him in Singapore. I said I was shipping to the address in KY PayPal had sent me. He got it in a week and I never heard about it again. I'd probably be nervous about using it again for a big ticket item.