1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ebay Is Loaded With Axe-Fx Units

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by BSHARP, May 24, 2011.

1. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

Seventeen at last count. It is really strange, but not unexpected to see that many Axe-Fx units flood the market. Many of these sellers will be without the Axe II for a while.

2. KJR321

KJR321 Member

Has there been any word lately about when the axe-fx II will be available? Sorry if this has already been answered. Don't want to offend anyone with my question.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Two weeks ago, the word was "two weeks, hopefully". Another week or two would be my guess.

4. Ben R

Ben R Member

It's not surprising to me. Up until the time of the Axe FX II announcement, they were incredibly hard to find. People held onto them. The Axe FX II has now been announced and it looks even better than the first one. Many people who want an Axe FX II don't feel the need to keep their Axe FX standard/Ultra as a backup and could use the money from selling it to lower the cost of the Axe FX II.

As cool as the original Axe FX still is, the new version offers even more. People want them.

5. musoleum

musoleum Member

I wouldn't exactly call 17 units a "flood" lol! Just guys who have the Ax, love it, and want money towards the next obvious purchase for them.

Others who wanted, but maybe could not afford a full price unit will now get an Ax for a more realistic price..sold my Ultra & MFC last week for $3100 so i did well!

6. Ben R

Ben R Member

Why would anyone be offended by you asking that?

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Don't know much, but 17 Ultras for sale isn't much of a 'flood'. It's more than you'd have usually seen, yes, but the hyperbole is far from a 'Ebay is Loaded..' or 'flood the market' event. :D

Also the wait probably won't be as extreme as made out to be; Liam has been posting at the Fractal Forum:

The pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note - made in the USA.

About quantities for the initial shipping date, he posted this:
    The pics from that post:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pic from that post:
    [​IMG]

8. Count_Chocolat

Count_Chocolat Member

17 units is not flooding the market by any stretch. Also, based on a quick glance, no one is really dumping their units...they still seem to be selling at a decent price. FWIW, I consider anything above 60 % of new a very good price for the seller.

9. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

Anyone know about many standard's and ultra's are out there?...several hundred of each? a thousand?:dunno

17 doesn't seem like a lot

10. solo-act

solo-act Member

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but in that photo with the long ponytail blonde, There there's about 15 holding trays with axe-fx II boards in them. 19 trays are visible, but some are empty and some are holding a smaller circuit board.

Each holding tray can hold 20 boards. They're not all full, but there's gotta be a reason there's that many 20-slot holding trays.

Just a guess, but a full axe-fx board "order" may be 200-400 units, and that could be only one run of a HUGE order of 500-1000.

We're definitely looking at potential production capability of 500 boards a month or more, and I'm guessing they've been at it for a couple months.

So maybe a Eurpean run of 250-500, and a US run of 500-1000, and they're probably finishing that run in the next two weeks.

This is all wild speculation of course, but pictures provide a little data to work with.

11. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

People want the latest of anything, so it shouldn't come as a surprise some people are making room for the new device. I am sure people who have one of the "old" axes also have other gear to keep them busy until the new ones come out.

12. Ben R

Ben R Member

It's probably well over 1,000 total. I'd be stunned to learn that it wasn't at least several hundred.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  13. Ben R

Ben R Member

Scott, which thread at the Fractal forums did you get those quotes and pictures from? I can't see the pics in your reply here. I want to check them out. (Why haven't I seen that yet, over there?)

14. Scott Peterson

15. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Yea...some are available...from what I've seen though, they are all selling in the $1200+ range, which blows the old, "digital gear has no resale value" argument we've all read here 10000000000 times all to hell.

16. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

eBay is a worldwide market and there are 17? Hardly an epic "flood". I wouldn't be shocked if a substantial portion of those sellers are people own two units and are selling the backup unit to fund an Axe2. There are tons of guys who have two Axe1's, etc, on the Fractal forum who will almost certainly buy an Axe II immediately. If I were single I would already be on the waiting list.

I'd expect the flow of used Axe1's to re-stabilize after the Axe2 hype settles to a sane level (this'll probably take 18 months or so I'd guess) and people start to realize the Axe1's are still incredible sounding units, and always will be, because good tone == good tone.

So now, they'll probably no longer be in the "impossible to find used" category indefinitely but I don't think you'll ever see an honest to God glut. There just aren't that many physical units.

17. Scott Peterson

That statement right there is signature worthy.

18. cob666

cob666 Member

Unfortunately, there is no 'waiting list' for the US, units will be sold on a first come first serve basis or I would already be on that list.

19. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

yep. I've said that a 1000 times.

The technology is irrelevant; good tone is NEVER obsolete.

20. Ben R

Ben R Member