Ebay observation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 37Hauser, Jun 25, 2008.

1. 37Hauser

37Hauser Member

I've been looking into picking up an early SF champ (or vibro-champ) and have been monitoring quite a few on ebay for the past couple months or so. I can't seem to figure out the reasons for the huge range in price that they seem to be going for. I've seen the same amps, more or less, (stock, same year, same condition) go from $225 - $540. I can't figure out why theses prices are all over the place. At any time there are about 10 - 20 of these amps listed so it's not like they're hard to find. The only thing that seems to be common with some of the higher priced ones is that the seller is willing to ship internationally, but even so, i've seen domestic ones go just as high from time to time.

Any thoughts?

2. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Ebay is weird, better yet people are weird. That being said I've noticed many of the things selling at higher prices do seem to be going overseas.

3. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Lots of overseas buying going on right now with the value of the dollar so low. I've had trouble picking up amps or guitars when I've come across them on ebay because overseas bidders are willing to go 3-500 more than what I consider top value to be. :puh

4. mbratch

mbratch Member

eBay, or any auction based/bidding sale, will always have wide price fluctuations. It all depends upon who's looking that week, how many people are bidding, how much money they have in their pocket at the time (which has its own factors like time of year (tax time? Christmas? etc)), how desperately they want the product, etc.

But you can use that to your advantage if you're patient. If you're in a hurry, you might pay a lot. If you're patient, keep watching and be careful about bidding and you can get a good deal.

5. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

I recently shopped for a BF Vibro champ and there wasn't too much fluctuation on the good-great condition pieces - there is probably a bit more with the SF Champs. I suspect there are a lot of people looking to buy as investments (music stores that repair & re-sell) and they have a keen eye. I know a few stores in NY that have people sitting behind computer screens bidding at the last minute on vintage gear. I also noticed the visual condition & the description have a lot to do with the amount of bids. I got mine for $435 plus shipping, which was not too bad at all. But the reason was that it looked very dirty and I had to gamble a little as to what kind of condition the amp was really in. I was lucky that it was actually in excellent condition inside and all original (and was stuffed with NOS tubes :)). The tolex just had some tough stains (wouldn't come off with warm water) on it that the seller did not to mess with. For this reason I think this amp was being overlooked, although the last second bids did run the price up. I spent an afternoon cleaning it with simple green (organic cleaner) and could probably relist it and get another $200 because it looks great now. I'm going to have a cap job done and keep it as player though!!

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Lots of things effect final sale price. Time of day for the auction end is huge... as is what day. If you put a high reserve or high starting price... many fewer will bid. This typically translates to a low sale price. Starting the price at .99 nearly always end in a higher sell price - for those with the cajones to do it.

7. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

yeah, it's weird. i watch Champs, Vibro Champs, Bassmans, Bandmasters, Showmans and a whole host of fender amps on ebay on a daily basis. prices have been ALL OVER the place in the last few months (this year, really).

just a few minutes ago a very clean '64 champ went for $387 (albeit with replacement kendrick). that's a great price, IMO--someone got a nice amp for a real nice price. i paid $380 for my pristine '66 last december.

and earlier today a beat to hell '68 bassman head went for $340. it was untested, but i thought about pulling the trigger.

i've concluded that this is a good time to buy old fender amps on ebay, provided you hit the right auction.

cheers,
    wade

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Ebay prices are always eratic. Could be based on location (pick up potential as opposed to shipping?) buyers entering and leaving the market (the guy who would pay any price just to have an item is suddenly out of the market as soon as he buys one), the dollar is cheap so even if an item doesn't sell to an international buyer, they will push the price up, etc. etc.

Original speakers or upgrades (tubes?) can factor in, etc. etc.

9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

For me it's always best to do the research via watching ebay and the emporium and then set the price that I'm willing to pay for the features I'm looking for in an amp or guitar. It's the only way to stay sane, you'll buy something and then the next day a similar item will go for much cheaper. You'll sell something and then the next day something like it will sell for much more... :puh
    Now seems like a great time to buy! And a ****** time to sell :BITCH

10. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

Right now theres a 10% off coupon for invited ebayers. Also if you go to live.com you can get cash back on paypal but it now items, between 10 and 20%.
    That's basically at least 20% off.
    So if you need something go score it, and while you are there look for my tweed deluxes.

11. mbratch

mbratch Member

Over the last year or so on eBay, I've seen BFVC's in excellent or better condition go for anywhere from $450 to over $1,000. Most of them go for between $500 and $600.

12. mike80

mike80 Member

Right now seems like a really bad time for pricing something on eBay. It seems like there used to be only one or two items in the completed items listing that went for considerably more or less than the average.

Now the prices are totally unpredictable. I sold a Digitech Valve FX on there a few months ago, and it went for something rediculous like $55. The very next week, one similar went for over $200. IIRC, the average from a few years ago was around $120.

I've spotted a few steals on there lately, but I'm poor and didn't have the cash for them. If I would have pulled the trigger, I would be poor and single.

13. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

I know to me the seller's feedback rating and how long they have been with eBay makes a big difference in whether or not I will buy an item. Also, how many transactions is a consideration.

Sorry sdvintage, I was not aware of your tweed deluxes, so.........

In regard to the 10% and 20% deals, I purchased a Richter 5E3 from Sara yesterday on eBay and received a discount of 30% (262.50) and with the free shipping Sara was offering, I am pretty stoked with the deal It was shipped this morning and should arrive Friday. :)