eBay Seller Cancelled Sale After I Paid

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GAD, Mar 3, 2015.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I bought something on eBay that had a great price. I paid within seconds of the BIN, as I always do.

The next morning, the seller had cancelled the sale with the reason of "Out of Stock", and my money was refunded. He sent a message saying "Clearly this was listed at the wrong price" I looked and the item is now listed at twice the price.

To be fair, I just jumped on the item because it was such a good price, and i didn't even read the ad. The text of the ad shows the doubled price, so it could very well be an error on his part.

We all make mistakes, and normally I'd just walk away, but the way this went down really bugs me. He lied about the item being out of stock because that's the only way a seller can end an auction without the approval of the buyer. A Polite "Hey, I messed up, can we cancel this sale?" would have resulted in an instant yes from me, but this just seems underhanded.

The auction is loaded with all sorts of "bad buyers will be reported", and "You agree to the terms of the sale" language that clearly doesn't apply to him.

I can't report the item because it's ended.
    I can't report the sale because it's been refunded.
    There appears to be no way to report the seller.

Additionally, it now shows up on the top of "My Ebay" as an unpaid item - an item that I'd be happy to pay for (and have), but I can't. That's eBay's fault, not the seller's - it's just annoying.

I sent a message to the seller politely voicing my disappointment and requesting that the terms of the original sale be honored. No response. It seems the only thing I can do is leave negative feedback. That seems harsh, but this just bugs me. I've been on eBay since 1998, and I've left negative feedback once in hundreds of transactions.

Part of me says "walk away", and part of me thinks that this is exactly the kind of thing that negative feedback is for.

BTW, the difference in price is $15 vs $30, so we're not talking a '59 'burst or anything.

I seek judgement from the TGP cognoscenti. May you be merciful and just.

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

3. NormH3

NormH3 Member

For $15, he should have taken the hit. As far as what's next, think about it for a day, then decide.

4. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

He should honor the sale. You should let it go.

Which is more likely to happen?

5. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

eBay's feedback system is designed to inform other buyers of seller issues and/or misconduct. Whether seller's actions were malicious or an honest mistake, if OP chooses to let this one go, seller gets a free pass to do the same thing at a later date. Give 'em the neg.

6. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

Another vote for let it go.

Only because the ad had a different price.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

What's in it for the seller to list an item with a BIN he won't accept? Makes no sense. Sounds like a mistake. If it were me, I would have eaten the $15, but this isn't something a seller would make a habit of as it offers no benefit to them.

8. 65DuoSonic

65DuoSonic Member

Leave negative feedback and move on. That's what it's for, since you can't open a non-performing seller case or whatever. These type of sellers really make ebay the *****; there's little to no consequences for their shenanigans.

9. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

This.

10. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

If it was indeed a mistake, what's to say the seller doesn't make the same mistake again? A ding on the seller's record won't have an appreciable effect on his ability to sell, but it might remind him to be a little more careful with the prices he offers.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Doesn't seem neg worthy to me. Negatives are for sellers who clearly intend to deceive and rip you off. The buyer didn't lose anything here. It's not like the seller kept the money and didn't ship or shipped a box of rocks. The seller gets no benefit from this and isn't likely to do it on purpose or do it often.

12. wallinbb

wallinbb Member

Call eBay at 866-540-3229

Explain the situation. See if they can help.

13. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

IMHO, way too low-budget an item to spend another moment of your life on.

go outside and look at the sky.

14. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I am not sure you can leave a negative feedback for a transaction that is canceled.

As a seller, I would have just taken my lumps, followed through with the sale, and moved on.

As the buyer, it's a hassle but you suffered no loss, so just let it go.

15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i think we'd be friends if i knew you

16. svenhoek

svenhoek Supporting Member

Ignoring your email isn't good customer service. It's rude. Poor communication warrants appropriate feedback, whatever you deem that to be.

17. 335guy

335guy Member

I bought some tires on Ebay, and the seller never shipped them or contacted me. I opened a case after the seller hadn't replied to my messages. I got a refund after a few days with no explanation. I just assumed the seller didn't actually have the tires he was advertising, and that it was a mistake on his part.

What's the point you ask? I left a neutral feedback with an explanation, rather than a negative. I think negative feedback is reserved for those who break Ebay rules and etiquette. These sellers simply made a mistake and rectified it by refunding the purchase price.

18. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

For a $15 difference, he should have just honored the sale.

For a $15 difference, you shouldn't let it get to you.

19. S1Player

S1Player Member

I'd leave negative feedback. Seller should have followed through and taken the $15 difference as a loss.

20. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

I've heard of people listing and selling fake items, collecting the money, shipping nothing since they dont' actually have the item, using the money to purchase other completely unrelated smaller items for resale, then refunding the original money once they've made their sales and profits (of completely unrelated items). Interesting and shady way to finance a business!