Ebay seller charges bogus shipping fees, again!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RvChevron, Feb 4, 2008.

1. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

How much do 4 6v6 tubes weigh? Even if you overpack it?

I check online with USPS a 5lbs package shipped via express int'l to Hong Kong costs $40.48.

This ebay seller charges me $67.75 for just priority int'l mail, which should cost only $36.10 for a 5lb package!

:BITCH:BITCH:BITCH:BITCH:BITCH:BITCH

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Call him on it. If he threatens negative feedback, inform eBay that he is raking you over the coals.

3. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

Sounds like he shipped it Global Express. I think it's the only service that provides delivery confirmation.

Still, thats a a lot of coin for shipping something that small.

4. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

wow! i got about 11 tubes delivered from tennassee to new zealand, shipping charge was 29.95 usdollars for priority international shipping.

sounds a bit out of line?

5. Flux

Flux Member

Refuse to pay. It's the only way to stop the assholes. If it means negative feedback... any reasonable person will see that you are honorable and that he's a thief.

6. BurnoutBright

BurnoutBright Member

Did you contact the seller? I was bidding on an item earlier and the shipping for an 8lbs guitar to my area was being listed at $167. The item was in NY and I am in CA. I contacted the seller and he told me that he accidentally put down the wrong weight when he listed the item. He couldn't correct the weight because there was already a bid on the item and there was no way to change it. So he offered to refund me part of the shipping charges if I won the auction. I think it might be worth your time just to send him a message and see if he really meant to charge that much for shipping.

7. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Thanks guys for putting up with my rant!

I've contacted the seller about it and I'm waiting for his reply.

Fingers crossed.

8. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Exactly. I just calculated $69 for 5 pounds Global Express to Hong Kong, which is what I would prefer to use shipping overseas, if not FedEx or UPS, specifically for the tracking and insurance.

Didn't you ask or understand the shipping/handling charges before you bid? If you instead demand the lower Express rate and the package gets lost, you may have no recourse with USPS Priority. They don't track once it leaves the US. Always establish shipping fees before bidding....otherwise it really is your fault, not the sellers.

9. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

I think some sellers jack up shipping rates to save on ebay fees.
    Ebay charges a final value fee on the selling price not the price + shipping.
    I tried to buy some stuff onces with out realizing the punk was charging $20 for a .5 pound item. He left me neutral feedback when I didn't pay.

10. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

No offense, but you should have gotten a negative for being a deadbeat bidder......:(

It's the buyer's responsibility to ask questions and know the total cost prior to bidding, not after bidding.

11. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

+1 International shipping can sometime be very expensive, especially if you want any kind of tracking. Also, when in doubt, have him send you a copy of the receipt.

12. jowe

jowe Member

I hate sellers who insist on calculating the shipping AFTER bidding is done.

13. Trout

Trout Member

my.02
    Agreed there are a lot of sellers on ebay ripping people off on shipping, But there are reasons for using the more expensive trackable services.

Without acceptable tracking under ebays seller protection policy, as soon as a buyer says he never received the item, it is basically an automatic refund whether you as a seller like it or not.

The lower tier (cheaper) services offered do not have acceptable tracking so your left using the expensive service or risking the loss.

To ship a single pair of 12AX7's international from Chicago is not cheap.
    1-2lbs
    US $25.30 Australia USPS Priority Mail InternationalTM
    US $22.80 New Zealand USPS Priority Mail InternationalTM

I have a $1.00 handling fee on all my listings and I also have a postage calculator in EVERY listing so the buyer has no excuse for complaining about the actual cost of shipping.
    On international I offer 2 services to choose from, Expensive, and Obscene.
    If you read the seller protection policy on ebay, on international items you really have very limited safe options as a seller.

Trout

14. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

A seller can only do what is requested of him. So then, you should also hate buyers who fail to ask for a shipping estimate PRIOR to the end of bidding.

15. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

Did the seller post on his listing in advance the shipping charge?
    either by flat rate or shipping calculator?
    also, is the shipment being insured? did you include that in the quote?

16. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

If you don't know the shipping cost before the auction ends, just don't do it. I've got an amp listed right now on ebay with shipping at $120. Since I don't have it packed, I don't know exact shipping, so I make sure I am covered. I know the shipping is higher than it will cost me to ship, but I do warn buyers of the price up front. It isn't to skirt ebay fees, but it is b/c I'm retarded and don't get ebay all the info. for shipping estimates. I'd probably fetch higher prices for the auction.

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

If the seller doesn't post a shipping rate and you don't ask for one before you bid, you really don't have any room to complain IMHO. I would never bid on an item unless I knew exactly what my final cost was going to be.

18. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Unless it's a full stack, that's way high. You're probably going to scare off a lot of bidders who think you're trying to gouge them on shipping that way.

19. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

work out shipping especially international ahead of time....

20. 10-top

10-top Supporting Member

did you know the shipping charge befroe you bid?? if not you shouldve asked