Ebay Tale of Woe, Question About Return

slider

My Digitech multi-effects, RP 155, had a power supply that started acting up. I went on Ebay and saw that a company two towns over was selling a replacement. Thought, this should arrive quickly, though it's a few bucks more than others listed, I'll get it. Did not arrive quickly, was shipped from another town, hundreds of miles away.
Stupid thing doesn't fit. How hard is it to send the right power supply? Contacted the seller, got a reply telling me to take pictures of the tip that doesn't fit next to a ruler, as well as a picture of the label. Sent pictures. Twice. Asked, what's up? Silence.
So initiated a return. Well turns out the seller is in the UK! Return address on the box says, 'shipper not seller'. Return process says 'buy a label from your preferred shipper'. I thought you were supposed to get a pre-paid return label.
So what should I do, go out of pocket to ship this back to the UK? Don't want to take a 27 dollar loss. Warning: after market power supplies can be tricky. Had another one that was bad, the company said just keep it, we'll refund your money.

slider

I'm relatively new to this game, I guess you guys have bought a lot of stuff on Ebay and know the deal.
Recently bought a 12 pack of strings for a good price. One pack arrived, wrong gauge. Contacted seller, he said, oh I sell a lot of stuff quickly, cutting and pasting, must have missed something. Got my money back and got to keep the wrong gauge strings.
So I guess someone runs a biz from the UK, and has a shipper in Commerce, Ca... odd how things are sold these days.

vintage66

If they listed as a fit for what you are using it for than it is “not as described” and the should pay shipping. If they just gave specs but didn’t mention that it’s good for your specific pedal than you might be sol. Depends on the listing.

7thString

no they are obligated to send you a return label if the item wasn't as described. just contact ebay if you need more help

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Do you still have the old power supply? Do you have a cheap old soldering iron (or the $7 to buy one)?

1. Cut the adapter off of the old power supply leaving some cable (at least a couple of inches)
2. Cut the adapter off of the new power supply
3. Strip and tin the ends of the wires from the old adapter and the new power supply
4. Get some shrink wrap and thread 2 short pieces on the wires on one side, and one large piece on both wires. If this is hard to conceptualize, let me know.
5. Solder the ends together being careful to get the polarity right (+ to +, - to -)
6. Use a hair dryer set on high to shrink wrap each individual join, then over both for duability

A little work and a little time, but you learn something and you save fighting with return shipping...

twisty571

Silver Supporting Member
Did you file a dispute with eBay? They side with a buyer 99% of the time. I had a memorabilia store on there for a long time starting in 2003, been dealing with them for years. Ebay will make the seller send you a return label or if he doesn't reply they will either issue you a label or refund and take it directly from his account.

slider

There was no place to say, not as described. It just says, go to the carrier of your choice and buy a label.
I gotta dig around on the Ebay site and figure out how to file a dispute. Thanks for all the info.

slider

Do you still have the old power supply? Do you have a cheap old soldering iron (or the $7 to buy one)?

1. Cut the adapter off of the old power supply leaving some cable (at least a couple of inches)
2. Cut the adapter off of the new power supply
3. Strip and tin the ends of the wires from the old adapter and the new power supply
4. Get some shrink wrap and thread 2 short pieces on the wires on one side, and one large piece on both wires. If this is hard to conceptualize, let me know.
5. Solder the ends together being careful to get the polarity right (+ to +, - to -)
6. Use a hair dryer set on high to shrink wrap each individual join, then over both for duability

A little work and a little time, but you learn something and you save fighting with return shipping...
Wow, thanks for this. I got no experience with this sort of thing... a little worried about burning the house down. I guess twisting the wires together and using electrical tape wouldn't work?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Electric tape will work for a while. In two or three years it'll be a sticky, gunky mess. But that's OK if by then you've learned to solder!

oildrops

Not as described in two ways, first the thing itself and also the buyer location. They should issue a full refund and tell you to keep it.

slider

Starting to think this guy is a skilled scammer. When I try to file a dispute and put in his screen name, it says name invalid. Meanwhile, he sends me emails playing dumb, like saying, 'Can you please let us know if the tip is matching the device socket, it looks like you are missing a converter. ' Already told him several times it doesn't fit. Maybe he knows how to game the system. Like maybe he's stalling me 'til it's too late. Have thought of going out of pocket to send it back to the UK, on the theory that it's better to get something rather than nothing.

slider

So the Ebay dispute didn't work out, took it to Paypal. The seller was just stalling and BSing me, hoping I'd just give up. He gave me the same routine through Paypal messaging, I messaged with a Paypal person, and they granted me a refund, no return necessary. Just gotta stick with it, scammers count on you giving up. Took almost a month, tons of messages, lots of frustration, but it worked out.

MrSage

So the Ebay dispute didn't work out, took it to Paypal. The seller was just stalling and BSing me, hoping I'd just give up. He gave me the same routine through Paypal messaging, I messaged with a Paypal person, and they granted me a refund, no return necessary. Just gotta stick with it, scammers count on you giving up. Took almost a month, tons of messages, lots of frustration, but it worked out.
Sounds like seller got booted from eBay and flagged by PayPal for fraud.

Trending Topics