1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ebay watchers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by monte, Jan 13, 2008.

1. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

Does anybody ever run an auction that gets alot of watchers and emails and then no bids?

I just had one end with 35 watchers and 14 emails. My other one is almost over and has 10 watchers and lots of emails but no bids.

Just an observation...not a complaint.

2. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I get this frequently.

The watchers could be considering selling a similar item, and want to see how much your auction fetches.

3. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I had my Martin OM on ebay for a week, with over 25 watchers at one point. Didn't get any bids until the last 5-6 hours. Most of the time it's people with the same item looking to get a feel for how much they can expect to sell theirs for.

4. 900

900 Member

Sometimes it's hard to tell. I've sold my old car a couple of months ago. Zero watchers, zero emails. One dude just hit the button 10 seconds before the auction's end.

5. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I just got through with a Hamer 25 watches and no bidders, then an asshole with 3 buys in 4 years as a member told me to lower the price.

6. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

I often hit "watch this item" so that I can see if the purchase was a potential impulse buy for me. If I get the reminder 3 days later and I'm disinterested, then it was good not to hit the BIN button. I assume there are others out there just like me so the number of watchers doesn't mean anything significant to me. As we speak, I have 30 watchers on 6 items and I'm assuming the items won't sell if they haven't sold yet...

7. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Monte -

I have to apologize..I was one of those watchers, I even sent you an email, almost called you at work, and I was probably personally responsible for at least 100 views on it :p and when it ended I was secretly happy because it gave me at least a few more hours to figure out how the heck I can pull off buying that guitar from you ;)

Steve E

8. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

I've found usually less than .3% of watchers and viewers are actually serious bidders. Even bidders aren't serious sometimes. Of those, less than a handful of people that bid out of let's say a 1000 views, probably 1 or 2 have the money and/or qualify for the guidelines of the auction. As my non-musician buddy who's ebay account I used to share once said "Musicians are cheap, dreamer-flakes." I was only slightly offended as I pretty much agreed.

9. Facemelt

Facemelt Member

Somewhere south of hell & north of Mexico
    Sometimes I start watching auctions well before I intend on buying something to see what the average is going to be. Sometimes it is pure curiosity. Sometimes I ask a question and then don't bid because the bidding actually goes over the amount I had set in my head.

10. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

I've found that 25 or more watchers usually = at least one bid the way I set my auctions up.

I set my starting bids at the minimum I'm willing to get for the item. I've never had the balls to do a low starting bid in the hope people get into a bidding war.

As a seller I hate people who bid at the last minute, as a buyer I hate people who bid early and drive the price up. So I'm kinda hypocritical about ebay lol.

11. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

I watch a lot of auctions because I'm curious to see what the final price is. 99% of the time I have no interest in buying.

Hey, I'm just being honest.

12. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I sometimes watch an auction so that I can see if it doesn't sell and get re-listed at a lower price.

13. devinb

devinb Member

A lot of times when I do a completed auction search I see things that seem to have sold on the cheap...I watch auctions in hopes of catching a great deal, with no intention to pay market value...

14. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I get that often - lots of window shoppers out there. I wonder if they consider how time consuming they can be?

15. Kappy

Kappy Member

It's happened to me. I also do plenty of watching for any number of reasons (in many cases I'm not interested in buying, just in observing the outcome, or keeping tabs on the item).

I had a guy who was selling a guitar on ebay and we were negotiating outside of ebay. He was selling me on how many people were watching the auction -- as if it were money in the bank. I laughed, knowing that the price was too high for me (and the going rate). Sure enough the auction ended without a single bid. That was a real Nelson Muntz moment for me. ;)

16. dognmoon

I think I've actually done this before. I've had people offer to negotiate outside of ebay and normally I'm fine with it. But when an item is listed for $1k and someone makes me an offer to buy the item outside of ebay for $500, I'm willing to take my chances with the relist (x3) if there are people actually watching.

That's not to assume that you were trying to lowball anyone, but that's the only time that the number of watchers would be pertinent info for me as a seller.

17. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

On that note, I really wish people on ebay were more apt to deal outside of ebay. It seems like people are willing to make less money on their item just so they can go through the ebay process (and get charged out the butt for fees of course). I actually wish ebay allowed me to put in my description "email me here to discuss deals outside of this auction."

18. dognmoon

Ebay DOES deliver a fair amount of protection, though, which is becoming more and more necessary. I agree that the extra fees suck.

19. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

I usually watch an auction to see if there are no bids or just one or two low bids -- hoping for a steal. Once the price gets above whatever price I'm willing to pay for a steal, I drop out. The only other time I watch is when I'm curious what the current value is of some piece of gear that I've got or am interested in eventually acquiring. For example, I'm really tuned in to the market for original Coricidin bottles -- I track those auctions like a hawk.

20. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

I have been selling on ebay for a long time. I used to think the watcher thing was money in the bank. It can be if you have lots of watchers, but there is no sure fire way of knowing. I will say that at least some watchers are interested. I have had things sell with as little as 2 watches and not sell with as many as 50. For fun, I have an auction up now that we can watch. It is an interesting guitar that I figured would get a lot of interest. I put it on 22 hours ago and it already has 35 watchers. Some readers here may be watching. The reason it has so many right now is that I started the bidding at $1 to get the bidding going. It is still cheap right now which is why lots are watching. I do have a reserve on it. I have already received lots of emails. I sometimes post the responses on the listing but not all of them. If you sell, you know you get a lot of folks in other countries wanting to bid. That takes up lots of time (if you answer them). Anyway here is the item number 120210136987 .