• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

eBay's new "protection" vs. old paypal thing.

dieselJosh

If you visit eBay's site now (today, 10/05/2010), they're promoting the "new" "eBay buyer protection". In the details, it's said to supersede the old paypal stuff.

I bought a (direct quote) "mint mint mint" guitar recently on eBay, payed with paypal, and videotaped it's arrival with some fear as more than 1/2 of the maple fretboard's fret ends showed finish cracks, the neck pocket appears to have been screwed with, and the guitar didn't arrive with the paperwork promised.

I want not only my money back, but also the shipping costs both ways. Seller is only offering me the purchase price and shipping one way. So essentially, if I accept the terms I'm getting screwed out of $40 for what is clearly an error on the part of the seller. Does eBay and/or Paypal no longer protect buyers from this type of gouging?

The sale occurred September 26th. Instrument was shipped via UPS.

I opened a dispute with eBay; what else might/should I do?

I thought videotaping the opening of boxes would totally protect me, but is that no longer the case?

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
PP + prepaid shipping back is a standard refund procedure. It's the risk you take buying online. Lesson learned.

dieselJosh

I don't understand what "PP" means.

Are you two saying you believe a person in such a situation is screwed out of the shipping expense?

SLBlues

The buyer has to pay the return shipping costs even if the buyer wins the dispute. I just went through this with a speaker that was improperly packaged and damaged when I received it. Of course to package it properly so it would not receive further damage cost me more for the return shipping than it cost the seller to ship it to me. I don't know what would happen if I had returned it half-assed packaged like it was sent to me and it was further damaged..........:FM:FM

TedShred

Are you two saying you believe a person in such a situation is screwed out of the shipping expense?
I think they mean purchase price and yes. Kinda unfortunate but that's pretty much the standard practice.

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
The other posters are right; if you get a money-back offer, you will have to pay to ship it back, you might ask for a shipping label to be sent to you if it isn't a private individual selling. I'd get my money back and just absorb the shipping cost.
Ebay does not always protect the buyer though, as someone suggested above. I've been screwed by a seller on two occasions with zero help from Ebay.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member

Ted is right, it means "purchase price".

You aren't screwed. You should familiarize yourself with the concept of "allocation of risk". By buying online, and sight unseen, you run the risk that the condition is not as advertised or exaggerated (or that you will get ripped off). You balanced that with a judgment as to what was represented. Your insurance was a refund of purchase price and return shipping covered. That is the reality of the situation.

As others have concurred with me, consider yourself lucky. In many cases, you'd be out return shipping as well, or worse, left with no refund at all.

Return the guitar, take your money back, learn a valuable lesson about dealing online.

daddyo

I'm no spokesman for eBay but with most warrantee/guarantee situations it's up to the person making the claim to pay for shipping - whether that's to the original seller, or a warranty depot, or to the manufacturer. Sucks I know.

Just be glad you're not stuck with the damn guitar! I think buyer paying shipping to return has always been the standard on ebay if i'm not mistaken. Knock on wood, i've never been in that situation. Sorry,man.

dieselJosh

It can't be legal to, for instance, place an auction listing for something such as a 4x12 cabinet, have the shipping cost be $200, and then for the seller to send a 4x10 cabinet instead, and have the buyer be stuck with footing the return shipping costs.

One could register a fraud complaint with Paypal, and also one's bank if the payment method given to paypal was via credit card.

travisvwright

It can't be legal to, for instance, place an auction listing for something such as a 4x12 cabinet, have the shipping cost be $200, and then for the seller to send a 4x10 cabinet instead, and have the buyer be stuck with footing the return shipping costs.

One could register a fraud complaint with Paypal, and also one's bank if the payment method given to paypal was via credit card.
And PayPal (Your CC) would refund you 100% of the money you payed through them as soon as it is confirmed returned. However to pay for the return you can't use Paypal so they have nothing to do with it. Also note the seller is out $200 as well so it's not like they did this just for the fun of it, or maliciously.

dieselJosh

It is if, for example, instead of sending a 4 x 12 cabinet, they sent a 4" x 12" mini replica that cost them $15 to mail, and they pocketed the extra shipping charges.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom