EBMM Axis Super Sport.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AllmanFan, Jan 30, 2012.

1. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

I have been looking into one of these for awhile now and they just seem awesome. Ive listened to some reviews on the tube and they just seem so versatile. I play mainly stratocasters with humbuggies. I love les pauls but the neck just doesnt fit with my hands. Any experience with these? Im really looking for a good prog rock/hard rock guitar with a faster neck. By fast I mean something similar to a strat. Opinions? Thanks for the Wisdom.

2. eliot1025

eliot1025 Supporting Member

I had one. They're good guitars - well built, good sustain, stayed in tune, good fretwork etc. I bought it for the neck, mainly. But it wasn't the tone I wanted -I didn't like the pups on it. I changed pups and still wasn't getting what I wanted so I sold it.

They are versatile in that the SS wiring allows for 5 positions. They have a Fender scale, a maple neck (usually) and it's a two humbucker model - like what you're already playing. The body wood is different, of course. I don't know if they would give you much variation from what you've already got.

Maybe you could find a builder who makes something closer to a LP but with a smaller neck. My first thought is Sweetwood Guitars - they have necks that I love, they use different woods, they make excellent guitars and they're not high priced. The luthier is super nice and is open to special requests.

3. Sweetwood

Sweetwood Member

What scale are you looking for? Eliot mentioned our guitars (thanks man). Our necks are "Progressive Asymmetric" - Rounder by the nut and gets more asym as you move towards the heel. It's pretty subtle change and unless I told you, you wouldn't have noticed anything more than the neck being very comfy and fast. We have gotten excellent reviews on it so far. It sounds right up your alley. EBMM necks are asym, but straight from neck to heel. They are probably my fav production neck of any company. Great stuff. The Albert Lee model is the coolest ever! They have more of a traditional feel than our necks.

(We also have a few more models than are on the site. Our new bolt-on stuff was a hit at NAMM. We have that in S, T and J types...and a Fastercaster/Superstrat type in the works. I need to update the site in a bad way, but the T is up.)

4. Church2224

Church2224 Member

Very well built guitars imho. My local Guitar Center had three or four of them in stock last time I want and I could not fault any of them. They neck reminds me of a more strat styled neck. The necks are also unfinished and feel great.

5. jmb27

jmb27 Member

Axis Super Sport

I've had three of 'em at one point and I kept one - maple neck, dual humbucker with trem. Fast neck a la Stratocaster? Yes. Hard rock/prog/jazz/country/etc? Wide range of styles and tones possible imho :)

While I've been playin' more Gibson and PRS guitars as of late, I think the Super Sport is a lot of fun .... give one a try.

cheers always,

Joel

6. c_mac

c_mac Member

I've three and really liked all three of them. I liked the MM90 equipped ones more than the humbuckers ones but then again, I play more country style guitar than rock.

7. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Its my number one....over my Les Paul Custom, Peavey Wolfgang, American Fender Strat, Charvel So-Cal, it just works for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]