EBMM BFRs Dropped Today - 80s Superstrat Style

Stephan Perets

Supporting Member
I actually really like those! Maybe not as "BFR" guitars because the price becomes pretty high due to that designation, but it's a nice refresher from just inserting a nicely flamed top and stain on an otherwise stock model. If that was a standard model released at $1,800 or so, I'm sure they'd sell like hot cakes.

Phil3

That's cool. I like them. Too bad they are a limited run, for that price I'm getting an Ibanez J Custom, or just saving the money and getting an RG 550.

Space Jazzer

I love EBMM, and these guitars are really cool. I really like that style, I've always had a soft spot for performance oriented super strats. But at $2800, alas, it's a hard pass.

Sweat

Silver Supporting Member
While I am a EBMM fan this BFR offering does anything for me, especially the Cutlass offering. I do agree with the comments on price, way too high. EBMM has been pricing themselves out of the market recently.

When the Stingray and Cutlass hit the market 5/6 years ago they were priced very affordable but have been climbing rapidly up and the BFR's can be cool though always over priced

John C

Silver Supporting Member
While I am a EBMM fan this BFR offering does anything for me, especially the Cutlass offering. I do agree with the comments on price, way too high. EBMM has been pricing themselves out of the market recently.

When the Stingray and Cutlass hit the market 5/6 years ago they were priced very affordable but have been climbing rapidly up and the BFR's can be cool though always over priced
Agreed - when they switched the Cutlass and StingRay to the roasted necks in 2018 there was a pretty hefty price jump.

Suhrtainly!

I've felt for a long time now, and even more so since they've raised their prices, that they are extremely overrated and remind me of imitators. It seems to me they want the respect and admiration so badly that other guitar manufacturers get such as Suhr, Tom Anderson, PRS, ....just to name a few, yet they fall short in so many areas. Straight-up wannabes...that’s how I take them. They have some nice quality aspects to their products, but as a whole, they either fall short in their concepts or just simply can't compete with the builds of the companies I’ve already mentioned.

If people dig them, more power to them. I’ve owned many of their guitars myself in the past, and was always underwhelmed in the end and sometimes just plain disappointed. I think it stems from their leadership. Either way, I just believe their prices are incredibly inflated.

Angstwulf

Dear Abby:

I consider myself to be a modestly conventional blues jamming single coil strat lover. I've only ever owned the one strat and I always thought that was enough for me. A nice sunburst is plenty stylish, yesirree.

But after looking at these BFRs, I began to feel uncomfortable urges. That green one makes me feel kind of funny in a way that I haven't since a young lad. I keep looking at my strat and thought to myself: what would it look like with pyramids instead of dot fret markers. Could I love a Floyd Rose? Should I take a router to it and carve out a grip hole?

Then last night my wife caught me in the basement huddled over a copy of Guitar Player from 1993, playing long sensuous solo lines in Locrian mode. I was ashamed but I agreed to therapy.

My counselor thinks I may be Vai-curious. What should I do?

Signed,
Angstwulf

Mr.db

"Ugly and Overpriced - The Music Man Story"

I'm kind of joking, they have some cool guitars that aren't too unreasonably priced, but they seem to excel at making stupid looking designs that cost way too much.

sedawkgrep

Silver Supporting Member
Dear Abby:

My counselor thinks I may be Vai-curious. What should I do?

Signed,
Angstwulf
That made me lol.

These are cool AF especially coming from MM. But BFR? NFW. Sorry but that price means rosewood necks or flamey tops.

Toffo

The thing is, EBMM have a small but extremely loyal group of repeat customers who will probably buy at this price. I don't think I've seen this to the same extent with any brand the size of EBMM or smaller.

Check the EBMM forums and you'll see people have like 10+ JP6/Majesties etc.

As for me? I wish I was part of that group :)

Trending Topics