EBMM, Fantastic Guitars But......

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by progholio, Jul 12, 2018.

1. progholio

progholio Supporting Member

I have come to the conclusion that Ernie Ball / Music Man guitars are probably among the finest production line guitars available that are a great value for the quality and craftsmanship that you get but there is one small nagging detail that prevents me from being 100% devoted to them and that is the nut width across the board on virtually all of their bolt-on models is 1 5/8".

If they would offer a 1 11/16" option they would be absolutely perfect (at least for me).
    I am shocked that with all of the signature models all of their artist are completely fine with the narrower nut width.

It's crazy what a difference the extra 1/16" makes in playing 1st position chords.

I've noticed a lot of people commented on how small the necks feel, I think the odball headstock throws off the perception a little bit for people used to the traditional "F" type, there is plenty of heft throughout the neck, it just seems narrow at the nut.

If there is a model out there with a wider nut that i've overlooked please let me know.

PBGas, mixn4him, pelle31 and 2 others like this.
  2. panther_king

panther_king Member

All of the John Petrucci line and the Armada are 1 11/16".

That said, there are plenty of players who play them BECAUSE of the necks, or are 'only' completely fine with the nut width. There are just as many people, if not more, who don't care at all about 1/16 of an inch at the nut. Alot of the complaints with EBMM necks are 'EBMM necks are too narrow!', but should really be phrased as 'EBMM necks are to narrow for me, personally'.

3. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

+1000.

Love so much about them. But despite my small hands, I do like a wider nut and it does frustrate me that most EMMM models are only available 1 5/8. (I've considered a Petrucci but it's just not my thang). That kinda bugged me about the Grosh Electrajet also... Don does all kinds of nut widths but finding an EJ with 1 11/16" was like the search for the grail. I guess it's probably saved me some money though so all is good.

4. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Supporting Member

Superb guitars. Sorry you don’t get on with the width. I have large hands and never had a problem with their necks.

5. Tri7/5

Tri7/5 Supporting Member

No difference than the tons of other brands/that use a 1 5/8". There's nothing unique going on here and never understood the perception specifically raised at EBMM. How many tele/fender/jag/general F styles and others use the exact same? A vast majority.

6. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Yep -- EB/MM use utterly normal neck widths. They may feel smaller because some models have very slim necks, giving you less of a handful in the first position, but they're not skinny necks. And yes, they put most other makers to shame in terms of quality of neck wood, stability, and playability -- assuming you choose a model that is right for you. The original JP model is (IMO) the best playing and most versatile guitar I have ever put my hands on -- not just a shredder by any stretch. And when Steve Morse, Steve Lukather, Albert Lee, and others (EVH in the past, Annie Clark recently) play EB/MM, that's a real statement. And these babies are made by good people in beautiful San Luis Obispo, CA, in the good old U S of A.

7. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Hah, I knew from the title that this thread would be about the nut width. I love it, personally. It's the classic Fender nut width and I love it on my EBMM St. Vincent and as well as on my Strats and Tele, too.

8. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

The OP is not alone. It's kept me from buying a couple of them. Love the guitars, love the hardware, can't get on with the nut width. Happy for those who can.

Teleman, mixn4him and buddaman71 like this.
  9. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Honestly, I thought the same thing when I bought my luke3 BFR. BUT I will say that after playing it a month or so I don’t even notice it and find it easier to play than other guitars with “normal” but width. I can play stuff on my music man that I never could on a Gibson or PRS or fender or whatever else I’ve owned.

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Great guitars/Tiny necks.

Bazaboy33, Anacharsis and jetydosa like this.
  11. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I have had over a dozen JP's, and are always intertwined with my LP. Strat, Tele, etc. . . The Maj is craziest tone box you will ever play. It will cover every territory. . .

12. TAG1

TAG1 Member

I like tiny necks.

13. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I can't make chords on an EBMM in the first position without touching adjacent strings. My fat, log-like fingers need more space. I'd be fine with 1 3/4 as a matter of fact and all of my acoustics are just that.

Anacharsis likes this.
  14. ieso

ieso Member

I get along with most necks....the two EBMM I have are JP models (I'm not even much of a JP fan) with the slightly wider nut width. The Majesty ltd ed I recently bought is a ridiculously great guitar.

Anacharsis likes this.
  15. jetydosa

jetydosa Supporting Member

This threads pop up regularly.

Personally I am fine with the nut width - its the pencil thin depth that writes them off for me, and thats a shame bc they are great guitars and their necks feel incredible from a texture perspective.

Anacharsis likes this.
  16. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

I have a JP Majesty and it's got 1 11/16" neck, I'm normally a 1.65" nut guy but I'll make an exception to an exceptional guitar.

Friggin love it!! Amazing quality and tone

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    ieso and Anthony Newcomb like this.
  17. Crunchtime

Crunchtime Member

I did not know that. I actually had a JP and let it go because the neck felt tiny all the way around.

Mr Fingers likes this.
  18. Dashface

Dashface Member

I agree so much. I really like their guitars but I can't do it either because of the little necks. Never played one where the neck didn't feel teeny. If I could get a James Valentine with a neck like my R4 I would've bought one already.

19. MrX

MrX Member

EBMM, Fantastic Guitars But......

......there's no custom shop! :(

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  20. 21Hemispheres12

21Hemispheres12 Supporting Member

My JP6 was a beautiful guitar and absolutely flawless with a full rosewood neck and mystic dream finish, but I just could not get along with the extremely skinny neck. I can usually adjust to any neck shape but that one I just couldn't get used to. Still excellent guitars though and I wouldn't mind a Cutlass someday if I can get along with the narrow nut width.