EBMM LUKE - is it really that good ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jim friar, Jan 26, 2012.

1. jim friar

jim friar Member

I've had lots of guitars over the years - Les Pauls / Strats / Teles/ PRS etc. I've always been satisfied - but something was missing. Recently I have been playing a brand new LUKE model at the local store - and it's really knocking me out. It feels great ( I have owned an AXIS before - andlike this much more) - sounds great thru any amp I have tried and appears to be very well built. Can anyone chime in with some thoughts that have owned one ? The neck feelsperfect to me ( I have small hands ) and I like a tone with lots of gain ( also looking at a Blackstar amp ). If I can't generate anyt negatives - I'm going to go out and drop a load of cash tomorrow on one :omg

2. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I really like the MM gtr build quality. Their build quality is out standing especially the fret work. I found the Luke neck to be too small feeling for my hands and I own 2 other MM gtrs. The trem system is great too. I just cant live with the EMG p/ups. Mainly because the 2 and 4 positions just dont sound quacky enough for my liking.

MM is releasing a new Luke III model with passive DiMarzios and a 12 db clean boost on board. That looks interesting but Im guessing the neck dimensions are the same as the older models.

3. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I really like it. Feels very refined, well made, and sounds great!
    It does not sound like passive pickups...but neither does lukather... ;)

4. Darkness

Darkness Member

Luke's EMG's are very nice pups. I've got the loaded Luke pickguard on a carvin bolt kit. Lots of sweet tones to choose from. I bet that MM Luke is awesome. Go for it.

5. toocommercial

toocommercial Member

Luke's a friend of mine, and he recently told me that MM is planning to release a Luke model with passive pickups and a few more stripped-down elements. Not sure when this guitar is supposed to materialize, but I got the impression that it was going to be sooner than later. I will check with him again and see if he knows when it might be arriving on the market.

6. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I owned one for a couple of years. I loved the EMG's in mine. They had such beautiful clarity both clean and overdriven, and when you strum a chord the strings ring for longer I think than with regular pick-ups because of the reduced string pull of the EMG's. That said they are a more Hi-fi sound than regular singles and some people don't like that sound and the fact that they have less sparkle (and noise) than regular singles.

I liked the neck, but had the frets replaced with 6100 jumbos. It was a very fast feeling neck to me. But in the end it was too small for my hands. If you like the neck and can live with the Floyd Rose system (mine had it, don't know whether current models do?) then they really are a top quality guitar.

7. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

MM showed off the new Luke (LIII) at NAMM. There's some chatter over at the Music Man forum, and a youtube vid or two. Passive pickups, slightly larger body, all rosewood neck...

Edit: It also sounds like the current Luke will continue to be available alongside the LIII.

8. cranqued

By the way, if anyone has a Luke and a caliper, I'd love to hear what the dimensions are at the first and 12th frets. Really want to try one of these, and while I love v necks (soft, sharp, whatever...), I'm wondering how thin the necks run.

9. fsmith

fsmith Silver Supporting Member

I love mine, I keep hearing people bash them for their necks, but I'm 6'3" and have big hands and it's just not a problem for me.

It's sounds great with every amp I've tried and currently have a Tweaker 15 and NOS Blues Jr. I love the EBMM trem, it stays in tune. I have it set up to float like it comes from the factory on non-piezo models.

I tried to find one when they originally offered it in True Gold but couldn't locate one, so I found one with a killer birdseye neck in Luke Blue and had it refinished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cranqued

^ Wow. Nice-looking refinish! I like the original, too. Either way, you win!

11. fsmith

Hillbillysims brother Patrick of Sims Custom Shop did the refinish. Incredible job and very reasonable too...

12. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

I have 2 main guitars, a 2005 Luke and a 2007 Tyler, they are both killer, the Tyler has a way bigger neck that I love.. and as everyone knows the Luke has a smaller neck.. I have no problem with both these guitars and in some cases the Luke actually works better for certain tones and situations..

I love the quality of EBMM guitars and would not hesitate for a moment if you find a guitar that speaks to you.. they are great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

wow surprised you missed the True Gold offering last year there were only 200 made...looking forward to my LIII's should ship in May.

14. fsmith

They released the limited edition version about 2 months after I had mine refinished... they were nice since they had the solid rosewood neck, but I have one of the HH AL's with the solid rosewood neck so I'm still happy.

15. adjeff2706

adjeff2706 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

The quality of MM guitars is excellent - I've owned a few Luke's, a few Steve Morse's, Albert Lee HH and a 25th Annversary - all great guitars. The Luke s probably my favorite MM.

16. scolfax

scolfax Member

That Luke III in the video is HOT. If I hadn't just bought a used PRS that black one would be in my top 5 to get.

How big are the frets on these?

17. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

I absolutely love mine. One of the best necks I've played - the perfect carve and feel for me. The EMGs have really grown on me too - I like the neck and neck+mid sounds a lot.

I did miss the Strat bridge+mid sound though so I had an EMG 89 put in, which is basically an 85 and an SA in one switchable pickup. I don't think it's been wired correctly because I'm still not getting the quack in position 2. It sounds like the pickups are wired in series rather than in parallel but I have no idea how to fix it. :huh

Anyhow, here it is...

[​IMG]

18. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Incredible guitars ... 1 5/8 nut with the 12 radius and slight V neck ...
    Wonderful feel ... great tones on tap ... can be super clean or kickass nasty at any given moment ...

19. cranqued

Hmm, none of my local stores have a Luke II (or any Luke) in stock. Bumping on the off chance that someone has caliper measurements for the neck depth at the first and 12th frets.