EBMM Silhouette Special or Steve Morse?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rushhead, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Rushhead

Rushhead Member

The middle of nowhere, Northern Ontario, Canada
    I have had a silhouette special for many years. Lovely playing guitar, maybe my nicest playing guitar, but I never loved the tone. Always seemed to be a bit too soft/muffled for my tastes, even when pickups changed. single coil settings lacked presence and Humbucker lacked "grind".

I have the opportunity to trade for a Steve Morse model, which I have never played. While I have huge respect for SM, I have never really been a fan of his tone on solo albums I have heard, either. However, this guitar is billed as a kind of tonal jackknife by many. Pickups have received mixed reviews from what I have seen.

Any comments from those who have played both, or even just the SM model? Do you think I would be happier w the trade, or should I just plain sell the silo and steer clear of the SM?

For reference, I'm currently enjoying a stock baja tele, strat w fat 50's for single coil tones and stock EBMM axis, stock R7 and Yamaha Pacifica w dimarzio super distortion for Humbucker tones.

Thanks!

2. scolfax

scolfax Member

I could have written that. However, I did end up selling mine and regretted it. Sure you can't just keep looking for the right pickups?

3. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I've found the exact same thing with the Silo Special. Plays great but always sounded small to my ear, and I've tried different pickups in both. I think it's a result of the small body.

The SM seems really nice, normal size, but you'd have to be okay with the 12" radius and different body feel.

4. Rushhead

Rushhead Member

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. It's such an awesome player I just kept waiting to love hearing it but it never happened. Anybody have experience comparing with a Steve Morse model?

5. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I like the Single Coil pickups in the Silhouette Special. I didn't care for the bridge though, and swapped it out for a Dimarzio Air Zone. It's a little beefier now. Definitely love the playability of the SS.

The Morse sounds great, it does sound different than the SS. There are two models, the Y2D is probably a more Rock focused guitar. My only issue with the Morse guitar is the lack of a forearm contour, I definitely prefer one. But if you are good with a Telecaster, the Morse shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I'd love either frankly.
    Probably edge to the morse for it's shape and the way it sits on the body. Sort of tele like.

7. djlynch

djlynch Supporting Member

Morse for sure.

8. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

Morse Darklord is the best thing ever made by EBMM!
    Second being the Albert Lee MM-90

9. custom53

custom53 Member

I have never played a Morse but I have never played any EBMM guitar that wasn't great.

My Silhouette.. 24 fret with Floyd.. I did change out the bridge pickup to a Suhr/Aldrich though..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. scolfax

scolfax Member

^^^ That's really sweet!

11. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

I love everything about my Silo Special SSS. Bone stock and a keeper for life.

12. Russ73

Russ73 Member

Ive had both and I still have 2 silo specials, the lack of contours on the morse made me let it go, also the necks are quite different, the morse neck is thinner in the first position ( frets 1 to 5) but still nice, I too changed out all the pups on my 2 silos, and they are fat as hell now, one has a Duncan distortion in the bridge and the other I set up with the dimarzio transition set, not as meaty as the Duncan but more articulate...plus I like a trem and the morse either comes hardtail or with Floyd and I despise floyds!! have you looked into maybe a HH albert lee?? has the same pups as the axis in a mahogany guitar with a rosewood neck...

13. Rushhead

Rushhead Member

Thanks to all who replied. I ended up making the trade. I would have liked to have posted before and after pics, but I actually can't figure out how to attach pictures to this message....

14. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Load pics onto another site like photobucket.com and then link them here

15. Rushhead

Rushhead Member

After plugging in the SM model, I can honestly say that I much prefer its tones, both humbucking and single coil. Much more presence all around, with the exception of the neck HB, which is very round/jazzy sounding. It sounds "bigger" unplugged as well. Only complaint is that I dislike the position of the toggle switch that's immediately underneath the strings. Gets in the way. I also think the neck on the silo was more comfortable, especially towards the nut, but both necks are outstanding overall. Thanks again for the advice.

16. BallisticGuitars

BallisticGuitars Supporting Member

I know you've already done the deed, but in my experience the "silent circuit" that EBMM uses in the Silo Specials kills most of the dynamics of the single pickups. I had one and completely rewired it (sans the silent circuit) with a new 36th Ann in the bridge and it was night and day.

17. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

You'll get used to this very soon! It's my main guitar!