Ebow sounding pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by outoftune, Jun 14, 2006.

1. outoftune

outoftune Member

I just learned about the boss df-2 and i was wondering if there are any pedals similar to it that give a sound similar to that of an ebow. I have an ebow but its somewhat of a hassel to use if you're switching back and forth, so a pedal would be much easier. Thanks!

2. Tapp

Tapp Member

The only thing that you may could do is use something like a compressor ahead of a Big Muff or clone. I'm not using a compressor right now, but my ICBM has a ton of sustain and can sound Ebowish if set right.

There is another device (sustainiac maybe?) that is another option.

Tapp

3. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

it depends what you want. I use my volume pedal and a compress and overdrive. then a swell the volume until i can just hear the sound then back off to 0. so that "softens" the attact of the pedals, giving a smooth sound.

4. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

fernandes sustainer pickup?

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

That or use the ebow. Pedals won't give you the control offered by these two.

6. outoftune

outoftune Member

i do have yet to get a volume pedal and probably should do that... i just found that old boss pedal to be interesting and was curious if there are any others like it

7. fatback

fatback Member

An Ebow is pretty unique and can be used several different ways. It's tone will go from clean to nuke depending on how close you are to the pickups. I'd say, keep at it and the hand-offs shouldn't be any more trouble than finding the right pedal and stomping it.

A couple of tips:

-A short leash on the Ebow can save a disasterous $70. spill if you are constantly switch back and forth, (I tie mine to my strap.)

-Two small thin pieces of felt, or simular material, put into the guide-grooves of the Ebow with help get rid of the common accidental "Ping" noises when placing the Ebow into postision.

cheers.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

you may want to take a look at the sweep settings on the line 6 delays

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

and the EHX guitar micro synth can also imitate the ebow sound

10. fatback

fatback Member

:AOK (I should of said...for most folks )

Great point! That hunk of solid plastic can also double as a make-shift slide.

I first heard, the slide-bounce/skidding-up-into-the-stratosphere sound from you (d.t.) on "Cloud About Mercury" cool!

11. outoftune

outoftune Member

thanks for the help, tying it to the strap is a good idea. the ehx micro syth looks pretty cool, unfortunately i cant justify the money right now for that. maybe someday though....

12. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

I'd say maybe a Guyatone Slow Volume, for the "in & out" effect, but obviously it won't do the endless sustain...

13. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I thought that until I borrowed one. When it had to go back I bought one the same day...

It's a brilliant pedal, it can do a lot of different things, and it works extremely well in a band context. Amazing really, for 30-year-old monophonic analog technology, but it tracks more naturally, responds to guitar technique/control more and just plain flat-out sounds better than any of the modern digital synth/modeling things I've tried.

The reason I had the other one on loan was because I was fitting it with an expression pedal jack for the owner (for the Stop Frequency, the most useful one), and I had to make sure it was working properly ;)... I must get around to doing it to mine too, it's so good it should be a stock feature.

I love my DF-2s as well (as you'll have guessed from the other thread :)), but most E-Bow stuff is exactly what they can't do, since you can't control the sustaining note after you've triggered it.

14. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Yea definatley give the sweep setting a try on a DL4. I dont know which boss the DF-2 is but if its the slowgear then definetlely give it a try, my body collects vintage japanese hard to find Boss & Roland & some ibanez pedals and has a slow gear and that thing sounds awsome, just what you need.

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Walco Chord & Note Sustainer... It makes held notes/chords start to feed back and keeps them going. Noisy, yes. Volume control, no. Any controls, for that matter, no. I have it in a loop with a volume-adjusted POG going to an amp driving a Leslie cabinet for hammond organ sounds... good pedal if you can use it, quirks and all. It does kind of "swell" the volume from time to time... weird pedal, cool effect in the right situation.

16. zerocrossing

zerocrossing Member

Spend the money and have a Sustainiac installed... or try the model that clamps to the neck. It doesn't really replace an ebow, but I love mine and I doubt you'll be sorry. Once you get used to it (string muting becomes a VERY important thing) I think you'll love it.

17. jhc

jhc Senior Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Dr Distorto - endless sustain, with or without added gain. (I always thought it would be nice to use the clean sustain with a Big Muff-style fuzz)

18. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Way back when I had a Super Feedbacker/Distortion DF-2 and an E-bow (well, I still have the ebow) I used to get a note held by the feedbacker, and would slide the e-bow note around relative to that. Fun times....

Don't tell me that DF-2's are now collectable...

Cheers,

Kris

19. jhc

jhc Senior Member

somewhat, yes. I owned one briefly, but could never get the "feedback" to work consitently - most of the time got oscillating spaceship/siren sounds.

20. starfish

starfish Supporting Member