Ebtech 2-channel line level shifter

stinkfoot

That's the idea. Or the other way around (to interface a line level unit into an otherwise instrument level chain). The problem with these is the impedances they require. The output impedance of the +4dB unit connected to the LLS needs to be <1K, which is not always the case with amp fx loops. The input impedance of whatever is connected after the LLS (in this case the effects unit, as well as the loop return) has to be larger than 10K, which is more common.

Bentayuk

That's the idea. Or the other way around (to interface a line level unit into an otherwise instrument level chain). The problem with these is the impedances they require. The output impedance of the +4dB unit connected to the LLS needs to be <1K, which is not always the case with amp fx loops. The input impedance of whatever is connected after the LLS (in this case the effects unit, as well as the loop return) has to be larger than 10K, which is more common.

Ok, so are you saying there's a chance it won't work?

stinkfoot

Ok, so are you saying there's a chance it won't work?
If the loop send output impedance is too high (which is really easy to do, seeing as the max source impedance specified is 1Kohm), you might lose quite a bit of signal level and top end. So YMMV, definitely.

Basically, it is a passive device which relies heavily on the devices connected to it for impedance matching. So whether it will work or not depends on your particular amp and effects.

Bentayuk

ok, I don't know if I have any way of figuring that out. I'm using a Randall RM50, and it's likely be Boss reverb, chorus, and delay pedals.

jazzbludgeon

ok, I don't know if I have any way of figuring that out. I'm using a Randall RM50, and it's likely be Boss reverb, chorus, and delay pedals.

The Ebtech didn't work for me either - I wanted it to convert the Logidy Epsi cab sim pedal to line level to drive a power amp. Now it's just a door stop. Why not get a transparent booster - a Seymour Duncan pickup & line booster, a Rothwell Atomic Booster or one of the MXR/CAE line level pedals. I've got the first two and they give more than enough transparent/clean boost to the signal (20-25 dbs) - I don't think I boost past 6db.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
It's not really a level shifter, more of an impedance matcher. So, if you know the output and input impedances of the effects loop (check with Randall or read the manual) and the effects (most guitar effects have input impedances of around 1 meg, which would likely work OK, their output impedances are around 1k ohm, which is also OK).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom