EC on JM

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by fuzzface71, Mar 15, 2015.

1. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I really have no idea myself, what EC thought about JM until now.

2. major-minor

major-minor Member

Uh oh.

I'm not sure this will be acceptable on TGP. ( yes--sarcasm )

3. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

John Mayer is probably the biggest name ($) on the JJ Cale cd that Clapton spearheaded. He is also the same thing for The Crossroads Festivals.
    So, Clapton certainly has to stay on the right side of Mayer if he wants that to continue.
    It's his opinion. I'm glad he likes the results of the collaboration.
    Myself, not really a fan of Mayer. But I'm not bashing him. Just my opinion.

4. theanthonyv

theanthonyv Supporting Member

These guys HAVE to say nice things about each other publicly. It's a business and everyone knows that you support the genre and other artists in the media. Behind closed doors it can be a much different story. You guys that have been around know this.

5. Bebop Tom

Bebop Tom Member

Eric Clapton has always been supportive and complementary regarding other guitarists, and has used excellent guitarists in his bands. He also has been quite humble regarding his own abilities. I remember reading an interview decades ago where he said he did not think others should listen to him when he got everything from BB, Albert, and Freddie King. He has called Jeff Beck the best rock guitarist after playing with him, and has described himself as maybe one hundredth best. I believe he got tired of the guitar hero thing many years ago and has enjoyed featuring other players. Complementing Mayer is no surprise.

6. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I don't think he has to tiptoe around that one. I believe he genuinely has great respect for JM. It's pretty plain to see that JM has heaps of natural talent and is a very dedicated guitar player and a great musician in general.

7. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

The only time I've seen EC speak poorly of another musician was when he said was offended by Brian May and EVH's album in the 80s.

8. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

Well they've worked together lots of times, including tv fundraising post-Katrina, Crossroads Festivals, JM guesting with EC in NY. It's certainly not new for them to play together, goes back at least to 2005 or so.
    So I think all this stuff about how EC "has to stay on the right side of him" and "behind closed doors it's a different story" is total utter nonsense.
    People will make up any crap they want I guess.

9. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Always a good idea to keep public comments nice.

10. major-minor

major-minor Member

Or, use simple honesty and stand behind how you feel.

I think EC was just giving his honest opinion. I'm sure he can handle people not agreeing with him.

11. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Not a Mayer fan at all, but no doubt, the guy can play.

12. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Most famous people can't take negative criticism well. What Clapton did was act like a gentleman and complement him. He didn't critique him.
    That's how it works in this industry. You boost your buddies and they boost you. Nothing wrong with that.
    You are reading more into my post than was there. If the interviewer had asked him about any of the other contributors on the JJ Cale cd, Clapton would have praised them as well. That's how you sell product.

13. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

That record was kind of a turd.

14. theanthonyv

theanthonyv Supporting Member

Yes, exactly. These guys are always going to support each other to further the genre. A rising tide and all that. Plus these guys end up on the same bills often. The last thing they want is to call out someone and then have to share the green room or stage. It's not hip-hop with it's fabricated beefs.

For someone to say that it's utter nonsense for private opinions and public comments to differ, is, well, utter nonsense. It happens ALL THE TIME. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not spent much time in the music business. Sorry to sound condescending, but this is just a simple truth.

I'm sure that Clapton respects Mayer. You have to credit people who take a chance and put themselves out there. It's a tough business. But does anyone really think that Eric drives around in his car listening to John Mayer songs? There's a reason why years ago EC tapped Trucks and Bramhall for his band and not Mayer.

In the '60s all the old blues cats made records with the pimple-faced white Brits. Was that because the legends were fond of the kids' art? I doubt that Buddy Guy spins Quinn Sullivan records when he really wants to rock and get low down. Yet he endorses the kid every chance he gets. It's a business and the older cats often profit from the collaborations. There's also an element of paying things back (e.g., Muddy gave a young Buddy his break).

15. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

There is a big difference between just saying something nice because you have to, and saying that you were "gobsmacked" by how well he played, or that he's a "master". For Clapton to praise Mayer so highly indicates to me that he meant exactly what he said. If being political was the only goal, he could more easily have just said, "John's a great player" and left it at that. I think some of you are trying to find excuses not to take Clapton's statement seriously.

I'm not a fan of Mayer's, and his personal conduct seems quite douchey at times, but the man can play.

16. Cosmik de Bris

Cosmik de Bris Member

Diminished capacity. Clapton is obviously on drugs.

17. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

I hate initialisms and acronyms on the internet. I assumed JM was John Mclaughlin. Irritating.

18. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

You just don't know what he thinks and EC been in the light and been burned by opening his mouth in the last 50 years, plus at his age why care be cool be positive and on to the next thing....he might like mayer the player and hate the guy or could be the other way or anything in between. Remember there are 3 sides to each of them : Musician, Person and Celebrity and I'd bet they can vary wildly. You may not want to meet your heroes for that reason.

19. smj

smj Member

20. .

. Senior Member

Consider also, JM is a youthful player bringing the blues to light for a lot of listeners who would otherwise be listening to Dave Mathews and Taylor Swift. He may like him, he may not. I think he is great at imitation. Though the live "Gravity" solo is quite nice, and doesn't remind me of anyone in particular. You watch that special with JM and that Australian country guy (name escapes me at the moment). That Aussie smokes him because his playing has it's own personality. JMs does not. Clapton may share that with him.

Keith Urban...