1. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

I have pulled 6 siemens ECC88 tubes out of a conrad-johnson preamp and I'm wondering if these have any application in guitar amps? If not I'll just toss 'em or maybe they're worth trying to put up on ebay.

2. undercut

undercut Guest

I'd cross refference them with the Duncan Amps Tube Index and see what you come up with. That app (link at bottom of page) will give you equivelants that may or may not be used in guitar amps.

3. saros141

saros141 Guest

Do NOT toss 'em. Few guitar amps use this type, but plenty of hifi amps do, and they ARE worth putting on eBay. You'll sell 'em for enough to get yourself some really good 12AX7s.

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

What Saros said.

I don't think they're usable in normal guitar amp circuits - even though they are a twin-triode like a 12AX7 etc, I'm pretty sure the pin configuration is different, so DON'T try it.

Someone out there will want them though. They may even be worth a reasonable amount of money as they are not a current production type.

5. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

I figured that since they came from a Hi-Fi piece that they were primarily for that application, but I wanted to make sure. Well I suppose I won't go plugging them in to the V1 on my guitar amps!

These have the "falcon logo" on them, which from the little I've been able to find about these tubes seems to make them more desirable? Anyway, off to ebay they go then.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Best,
    Eric

6. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

got $55 for 'em on ebay. :dude. I'll buy the next round.

7. saros141

saros141 Guest

:dude nicely done

Warsteiner here, please. :D

8. hogy

hogy Member

What happened to the preamp?

Hogy

9. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

It was a 16LS and I unfortunately had to sell it. Along with it went a Threshold sa4e amplifier and a pair of beautiful thiel loudspeakers.

Kind of depressing, but I had to put a new roof on the house. The roof looks real nice, and does a much better job than the old roof of keeping the water out; it doesn't sound nearly as good at the CJ/sa4e/thiels, though.