Echo In The Canyon

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by vashondan, Oct 25, 2019.

1. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

Anyone watching this on Netflix? I had to stop myself at the halfway point cause I wanted to save some for later. Definitely for some boomers out there (that includes me).

2. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

I liked it. Jakob Dylan got some good interview material, better than if someone not named Dylan were asking the questions. I also liked that Michelle Philips, David Crosby and others paid homage to the musical genius of Brian Wilson. Performances by the younger artists were good, IMO, particularly Regina Spektor on "Expecting to Fly." Archival footage and visits to the recording studios were cool, too.

It's not a documentary (numerous acts receive little or no attention); it's a celebration of some of the great music from 1960s L.A. and that music's far-reaching influence, with insightful commentary and reminiscences from important contributors. The only sequence that fell flat for me was the Stephen Stills-Eric Clapton tracking session.

The film drives home how inspired and beautiful this music is.

marktweedy, david(j), Mugs and 3 others like this.
  3. BrothersBrim Studios

BrothersBrim Studios Member

Add this to a list of movies like The Wrecking Crew, History of the Eagles, Sound City, Sunset Strip and The Disaster Artist and you could call yourself pretty well all caught up on the LA scene... the white LA scene, anyway

I see you’re in Vashon.... I’m here in Gig Harbor by way of those canyons off Mulholland

4. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

Best part was Neil playing at the end.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

This sounds familiar. I think I read that book. In fact there were two books (sorry, can’t find them now) I read close to each other where one had this incredible conspiration theory about some of the acts, like CS &N where Stills came from a military family, high ranking and rich, etc. and also Morrison of the Doors, and it was really weird. That there was some CIA connection, also with Manson.

I mean, I didn’t buy the conspiracy but there were a lot of point in there that if true were kind of unsettling.
    It got far fetched, yet definitely the scene was not consistent with the public perception of hippies and peace and love.

fretless likes this.
  6. vashondan

Hey, great overview of the film. Can't wait to watch the rest tonight!

7. vashondan

Looking forward to it!

8. vashondan

Howdy neighbor! Ha, my girlfriend back then lived in Studio City back then. Well at least part of back then. I certainly spent a lot of time in Hollywood in those days and had a few friends that lived in the Canyon. Had some great experiences and saw a lot of great bands.

mattyfraza likes this.
  9. BrothersBrim Studios

BrothersBrim Studios Member

Cheers! Studio City here on Coldwater Canyon!

10. mattyfraza

mattyfraza Member

Yea! I have been waiting for this, and the timing is perfect, as I am playing in Hamlet tonight and some late night viewing with my strat will be a sweet diversion after a few weeks of intense work and an opening weekend.

vashondan likes this.
  11. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I really enjoyed it. It got me gassing for an electric 12 string:confused:

12. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I saw it in the theater and was pretty bummed he hadn’t shown up. I lost it when he did.

I kinda feel like this should have a spoiler warning.

vashondan likes this.
  13. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

I was a bit disappointed. Great subject to tackle, but the awkward cuts of Jakob Dylan nodding or grunting like he's some 60 Minutes interviewer did not work for me. Really, it felt as if the film were more a promotional vehicle for him rather than the subject matter. And the scenes of he, Beck, and the two girls sitting around opining were painful. The movie was best when the old farts were allowed to tell their stories.

A_Aron, Crowder, Tony and 6 others like this.
  14. vashondan

Good luck with Hamlet!

mattyfraza likes this.
  15. vashondan

Good points.

16. Gibby60

Gibby60 Member

Wonderful movie, it was a really formative part of my musical education. I got a few of those albums from Columbia Record club. I like seeing those songs through the eyes of younger people. I love the reverence for the period, There was so much creativity because it wasn't driven by greed. It was art for art's sake. Gathering around a new record with your friends was a wonderful thing.

17. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I saw it earlier this year in a small art theater, and had to drive over an hour to get there, but I felt it was worth it. Of course, I went for The Byrds segments for the most part, but enjoyed it all. I found it encouraging that younger musicians were so into that scene.

David MacNeill, vashondan and VaughnC like this.
  18. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I think the best singer (on the cover versions) was the one girl who was the backup singer for Jakob Dylan (I didn’t catch her name) who sang lead on a couple of the duets.

speedtaco, rhys, Drew68 and 3 others like this.
  19. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I think you’re talking about jade castrinos. She killed it in the film, IMO, though she tends to oversell her performances in other lineups. Was in Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes for quite a while.

20. crossbones

crossbones Member

I have to agree.
    It took me two tries to get through the whole thing.
    The live performances had no energy and seemed to go on forever.
    I want to like Jakob Dylan, but he so uninspiring.
    A friend's 15 year old daughter thought it was the best documentary ever made.
    I guess that summed it up for me.

fretless likes this.