Echo Park Analog w/mod setting the best alternative to the EH Deluxe Memory Man?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by echo unit, Jul 14, 2006.

1. echo unit

echo unit Member

I need an analog sounding delay that is at least 500 ms and offers the faster vibrato type modulation on the echo repeats for that EH Deluxe Memory Man shimmer. I am tired of the noise of the Memory Man and looking for the best alternative without noise.

I would love to hear what people have to say about this and if you have any better suggestions than the Echo Park's Analog w/mod delay setting, I would love to hear what pedals you think would do the trick.

I know many of you are going to say the Memory Lane by Diamond but be aware that the Memory Lane's modulation does not go fast enough to do the vibrato shimmer of Memory man and therefore the Memory lane really lacks the coolest part of the Memory man's sound that gives it that unique mojo....that shimmering vibratoed echo reapeat thing that all teh other analog echo pedals are missing. The modulation section of the Memory Lane, when applied to the echo repeats on longer times such as 400 ms sounds like chorusing and the rate of the LFO does not go fast enough to be a true vibrato pitch modulation like on the Memory Man.

The Echo Park's Analog w/mod setting is a digital model of the memory man's sound with the vibrato shimmer on the echoes but maybe there is another pedal that does this better whic is cleaner than the hissy old Deluxe Memory Man.

Does the Boss DD20 do this vibratoed echo Memory Man sound better than the Echo Park does?

Love to hear your advice!

2. echo unit

echo unit Member

Anyone with the Echo Park out there who switched over from the Memory Man or something else and can answer this?

3. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

Haven't used a Memory Man but I am VERY happy with my Echo Park, tape setting w/mod @12 o'clock.

4. exhausted

exhausted Member

the DL4's analog w/mod sounds better than the echo park's. more control and more stereo spread. very beautiful.

that being said, the echo park's modulation is good too. just less control and the stereo spread isn't as dramatic.

neither is as warm as a memory man but i know what you mean about the noise of the DMM.

the echo park has hiss and volume boost problems.
    the DL4 has switch click and volume drop problems.:mad:

5. Sir EL84

Sir EL84 Member

I have a newer Memory Man, different chips I believe, wall wart etc, and I find that it has been quieter, and more reliable than the versions from even a few years ago. The DL-4 sounds nowhere as nice as the MM in that model. The Boss DD-20 sounded better, yet nothing really sounds like the MM. Haven't tried the Diamond, but really have no need to . I've learned to live with the hiss etc... part of the character. I had a Maxon AD-900, rock solid build, and I realize no modulations, but even so, it did not have the vibe of the Memory Man.

6. shikawkee

Only a slight gain boost on the Echo Park as I've noticed.
    It is kind of weird though it doesn't bother me much.

7. exhausted

exhausted Member

i'd agree it's minor. i've actually gone with the echo park over the DL4 despite the hiss and boost because i like the sounds better overall.

8. shikawkee

The sound is exactly why I bought it over others I tested.
    It was clearly better.

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The DD-20 does modulation, but it's done on digital, not analog

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

A digitech digidelay does modulating. I'll never buy another line 6 anything after my DL-4 experience...