Echo Park owners-your current thoughts

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Garygtr, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I've already researched the Echo Park threads and am aware of the bad experiences some have had with hiss and other issues. Just wondering, for those who own/use the Echo Park, how's it holding up for you? If I were to buy a new one, would it be a relatively safe bet that I'd get one without the noise problem? Are you sticking with the Echo Park or still looking at others-DD20, etc.?
    Thanks! :cool:

2. plain-boy

plain-boy Member

I had the hiss issue until I isolated the power supply with the Danelectro No-hum adapter. Now it is super quiet. I would assume mine is an older version since I got it at the MediaPlay liquidation sale (89.99). It sounds great in my opinion. It has a lot of very cool sounds. The tap tempo feature is awesome. But, I am just a basement player.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I am loving mine, but it does add a slight amount of white noise (even with a pedal power 2)

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Wow another EchoPark thread...

I love mine, It's my favorite all around delay. It sounds a lot better than the DL4. Actually, I'd not gigged with my DL4 in a while and did so last weekend. The EP is a lot sweeter. It's warmer, the delays sound more authentic. Plus the dual function tap tempo/bypass switch is a cool concept, it takes a little getting used to, but it works great after that. The fact that it's a parallel processing effect it sounds much better than the full on ADA conversion that goes on in the DL4. Line 6 constantly updates it amps... it is amazing to me they've not updated the DL4 to software and processing specs. I'd buy it!!

Oh yeah... no noise problems either.

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I have one of the earlier ones and I still love it. It replaced the delays on my tc G Major & the Verbzilla replaced the reverbs. Fantastic delay with tons of options. No noise, powered by a PP2+. Really nice in stereo. Best bang for the buck, IMHO.

6. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. I have owned 2 DL4's and didn't have any reliability problems with either one, but I sold the second one and said "never again" due to the volume drop on some of my favorite settings (Echoplex). I'm currently using a Digidelay and like it well enough, but I could do with some more features and a better tap tempo, the tap tempo on the Digidelay is a PITA IMO. I like the idea of a streamlined, more organic sounding DL4, and from what I recall many have experienced volume increases with the Echo Park-true?

7. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i LOVE this pedal. it has everything i want in a delay:

1) analog delay (don't like the harshness of digital)
    2) Tap Tempo (i can't play with only one delay setting)
    3) it has the "dotted quarter" note tap tempo delay. if you haven'ty played with this feature on your EP, you should. switch it here, match the tempo, then play a palm muted rhytm. dude, it's like the edge, man!
    4) no hassle. (i NEVER have to think or worry about this pedal. it's there, it works, it sounds good).
    5) quiet enough. i haven't noticed any noise or hum or squeel or anything.

i would buy it again.

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I have spoken with Line 6, since I had one and had a noise problem, and was told that it simply is going to make noise with some amps. It isn't a matter of getting a "good one" or a "bad one". It is a design flaw, pure and simple.

I have also heard through the grapevine that Line 6 will be coming out with a replacement or update that solves the noise problem.

I have to say that it's a great sounding pedal except for the noise, and when they solve the problem, I'm going to buy one.

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I bought and returned 4 of them; I finally have one that is noise free (the noise is a constant hiss, bypassed or not, battery or not in my case) and now? It's incredibly good. Everything I want, including the tap tempo and it sounds great. I use a few different settings on it, all in all it's a home run.

10. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

I have one and love it, only complaint ids a slight volume increase when engaged, but that doesn't bother me. One thing that I have read is a quote from Jeorge Tripps, ( I think thats the name), one of the designers of the unit that the pedal is made for an instrument level signal only. perhaps this is a factor in the noise issue.

11. Craise

Craise Member

could anyone with a for sure non nosie making EP please post the serial number of their unit. If there is one...maybe then we can be sure to try and buy one with a higher number or at least around that number and be somewhat assured that it won't have the hum issue. Think this will work? Is there a serial number?

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I have to say in full disclosure I do have a couple of quibbles with it though...

The volume boost does bug me just a little bit. I don't know what the DB's are, but it's enough to OD an amp on the verge.

And it weighs a half-ton.

But I can live with these issues.

13. woude

woude Member

after 1.5 years owning it, I still like it. I found out that I greatly prefer it in the fx loop. No noise, but I use a Burkey Flatliner powersupply. It adds just a tiny tiny boost which I really like. I've played several analog delays, like the memory lane, keeley modded ibanez AD9, deluxe memory man and several digital ones; boss dd20, line6 dl-4, boss dd3, visual sound h20 and heard a roland space echo. I liked the memory lane and deluxe memory man the most. Fat and analog. The first is darker and more hifi, the latter is more vintage, crispier and lo-fi. The echopark is 90% there and does 10 times as much. In the end I use only the dotted quarter with +/- 500ms delay, so I might upgrade to a memory lane someday, or just a deluxe memory man, but the echopark never dissapoints. I would still use the echopark next to it. Aside from the too heavy to carry space echo, I liked the echopark way more than all the other delays I've tried! It's far more realistic, usable, compact and warm than the rest of the bunch.

14. b_rad

b_rad Member

I got one from a friend at Line 6 when they first came out. I liked it, but being the eternal gear slut that I am, I had to see what else was out there and I sold it. I went through a half dozen delays and came back to the Echo Park.

It does everything I need in a delay, it's not huge, and it has some options. I'm happy with it.

15. mprvise

mprvise Member

Well, I'm on my second (after buying and returning one) and even though I'm typically an analog guy, I like the Echo Park. I use it all the time around the house, and I've even taken it to a few gigs. For the money it really can't be beat.

16. moodog

moodog Member

I owned the DL4 then the Echo Park. The only thing I used on them was the tape delay. The Echo Park was too noisy.

I picked up an Ibanez DE-7 a couple months ago and have not looked back. It sounds just like an echoplex with a new tape and it's half the price of the echo park.

17. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

The problem isn't a serial number thing. I have one of the first units available and it works fine. The key is to how you power it. Running it on a "One Spot", "Dunlop Brick", "Powerall", or w/ a Boss daisy chain will absolutely produce noise. These pedals can't be put on a parallel power source. If you use a dedicated power adaptor or a VL Pedal Power II like I use, you won't have any issue with noise. I also have a Maxon AD-900 and AD-999 and the EP isn't any noisier.

I do also wish that it was unity gain. I don't notice the volume jump playing live, but at home I do. For the money, and compared to anything else digital, it has an unbeatable sound quality.

One question though for aaron davis; what info has been released on it being parallel path dry analog/digital processing? I'd love to know.
    Thanks,
    Chris

18. madsr

madsr Member

I have been using the EP for about a year and 1/2.. love it, never had a noise issue with it at all..I also prefer the tape mode along with the ducking feature..and the tap tempo..awesome delay..as a matter of fact aside from my vox wah..it's the only pedal I still have that I had a year and 1/2 ago...

19. Craise

Craise Member

well see yeah..that would make sense...but then you have people like scott peterson that bought 4 different ones before "finding" a good one. Some are getting hiss when using it with a PP2 some are not. So which is it!!!!
    Guess I'll just have to pick one up and see for myself. I've owned and loved my dl4 since it came out back in 97?98? It's been a while..I wish they would update it. thanks for your thoughts..
    :BluesBros

20. punchy

punchy Member

Nope.

Scott P. got to his 5th EP to find one that didn't hiss. I've owned four and listened to SIX! I heard the last three (#5 and #6 were not mine - they belonged to Line6) while sitting on the desk of Line6's customer service manager. The pedal by itself, on battery power, alternately plugged into my tweed champ (which is super-quiet) and their Spider. Compared and contrasted with my old DD-3. Into the Spider, dead quiet. Into the champ, HISSSSSSSSS. We looked at schematics. Switched batteries. Power supplies. Talked about buffers. I took home a couple assignments from Line6 to help troubleshoot. The manager said he was going to try the pedal on some of his older amps. Talked on the phone. Ultimately, Line6 said that I had convinced them that there is an issue... Not the 60 cycle hum power problem from unisolated sources (totally different issue, and easy to troubleshoot). Unusually loud digital white noise. On a battery. By itself. Into a high impedance amp input. Only in some percentage of pedals. And some of the other small pedals do it as well.

Hope I was clear enough.