Echo Park vs. EchoTap?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Dec 25, 2005.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've read a lot about players that have had both and end up with the Echo Park in the long run. If you've owned both, what are your experiences?

I have a modded Memory Man for analog, and a DigiDelay for digital, but I remember the EP had a great tone (although the noise ruined it for me - reported to be fixed now), better to my ear than the DigiDelay.

I've even read some players say that they've been through the EP and EchoTap and ended up with the DigiDelay! Maybe I am "already there" and don't know it!

Advice appreciated.

2. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Maybe I am wacky, but I will try the EP again, given the reported "fix" for the noise issue and the fact that I'll have a Pedal Power later this week. I am hopeful that the combination of these two things will add up to one quiet EP.

Were any EP owners that have complained of the noise issue using a Pedal Power at the time? I am not sure what a Pedal Power can do that an isolated/dedicated power supply can't do, or a battery for that matter - both of which produced hideious noise when I auditioned about a half-dozen EP's about a year ago.

Again I am hopeful that there's a fix in place and that the Pedal Power has some special mojo 'cause I really liked the EP.

Somebody stop me!

3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Well they are fairly different units ---- the EchoTAP is pretty straight forward -- highquality delay signal with time and tone options....

the EchoPARK does loooots of 'tricks', tho it doesnt sound quite as full,,, all the modulation options are so nice to have ...

I think it comes down to whats important to the buyer --- theres a good home for both...;)

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Geez DonneR - like I need a reason to spend more on this stuff. You are not helping!!

5. fractal

fractal Member

I REALLY like my Echo Park. I use it for a slapback sound that makes the sound so thick I don't need any dirt. It is very cool - you will like it...

6. oxtone

oxtone Member

I like the Echo Park, and never had any noise problems with it. I power it with a VL Pedal Power I or II, and it works fine. There is a slight volume boost when I engage it, but I like that about it now.

7. Don Rusk

Well DLS makes some really great modualtion effects --- so Im hoping they will finally cone out with a Tap tempo modulation delay.......

and Bob Sweet is working on a modulated delay.......mmmmmm

8. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

The Echo Tap is all about the tone...to my ears it is vastly superior to both the DD20 and the Echopark; however I don't want no crazy ass stuff in my delay apart for the best possible tone.

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I am still rather undecided. I am going to audition some EPs at a local GC tomorrow. I'd like to have the ability to have some modulation in the delay.

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Passed on going to GC today. Instead I contacted Steve at StevesMusicCenter and ordered the EchoTap.

I just could not get past all of the bad EP's I lived through a year ago and the DLS Chorus-Vibe that I bought last month fries every chorus I've used to date in tone, construction, lack of noise and flexibility. I am hoping the EchoTap is on par with the Chorus-Vibe.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice in this and other related threads!
    -bk

11. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

It's even better!
    :AOK

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Bluewail. I am really looking forward to getting it and wearing it out this Holiday weekend!

13. Don Rusk

Yeah if you just need a tasty, quality,built-like-a-Hummer stage/studio ready delay the EchoTap is hard to beat - and be sure and actually read the manual ~ there are internal tweek trimpots to further match it to your rig......enjoy!

14. moodog

moodog Member

You guys might be surprised to find out that the Ibanez DE-7 is one of the finest delays around. In terms of tone its tape sim mode is the closest clean loop sim I have come across. And they can be had for under $50 USD.

:cool:

15. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Moodog. Not surprised here, as I've known about the DE-7 for a long time. From what I hear, it is a good and very affordable delay.

16. moodog

moodog Member

I really don't think the Echo Park sounds anything like the originals. I own them. The tape sounds nothing like real tape delay and the analog... Well you guessed it.
    I suppose the digital is in the ball park but not that great and it's noisy. For a small pedal stomp I would go with a Boss DD-6 for digital. You get the tap tempo (if you want it), reverse and all the digital perks you could want.
    Then I would add an Ibanez DE-7 for all your tape sim needs. You can even cascade the two for some really cool effects.
    The combo of those two is ten times better than the Echo Park and even the DL-4 for that matter. I've returned both.
    The DD-6 and the DE-7 can be had used together for under $150 USD, and new for under $200 and they wont be leaving your pedal board any time soon if that's what your looking for.