Echoczar talk

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by otherone, Dec 14, 2005.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Just checking in with other echoczar users...I recently got the updated mods (delay/echo toggle, soft mix toggle)...wondering if any other users got these mods done and what they think of them. Just wanna talk Echoczar!

2. olectric

olectric Member

I don't have one, but I'm seriously considering getting on the list. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I would like to know what YOU think of all the mods you got. Also, do the new Echoczars come with these mods?

I have the DL4, and I love its versatility, but I don't like the drop in output and the RF noise it gets. The sounds are less than stellar, but there are just so dang many of them.

Are the mods something that add a bunch of extra sounds to your pedal? Do they make it any more versatile?

3. otherone

Yes, the updated echoczar comes with all the updated mods...the soft mix toggle is excellent...I use it to soft mix the shorter delay time so that the overall volume of the shorter delay equals the volume of the longer delay (with longer delay time, the volume is slightly lower)...this way, when I switch back and forth between channel 1 and channel 2, the volumes are dead even...the echo/delay toggle is also excellent...it gives you option of a more ambient haze of repeats vs a clearer distinct repeats...very subtle but a truly great feature...it also effects how the feedback sounds, so overall, you have many different sound options. A truly outstanding pedal.

4. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i've been on the list a long time. I try not to even think about the Echoczar! I can't wait until I get the e-mail that mine is ready to ship. :AOK

5. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

My "upgraded" Echoczar recently returned home. I love the soft mix toggle. Some applications:

* I like to set both channels at the same basic (longer) delay time (450-550 ms, roundabout), and use the "soft" mix for general purpose stuff, and then kick in the "wetter" channel for sustained lead rides (the slow, milky stuff, absent of bunches of notes).

* I like to set the "wetter" channel for a prominent rockabilly slap or funk doubling, with the "soft" channel assigned to the aforementioned longer delay time.

Still dinking with the echo/delay toggle... at Ed's suggestion, I'm finding good stuff in "delay" mode with the shorter delay times.

Ed probably regrets having asked me about my delay applications, prior to upgrading my pedal, as my applications are all over the map (delay is the only effect I feel truly dependent upon). Nonetheless, he did a wonderful job of sorting through my various practical applications, and the unit is even more invaluable to me than it already was.

I figure there's a few of us 'Czar guys by now... I've thought about posting an "Echoczar settings and applications" thread... maybe this existing thread would work!

6. johndara

johndara Member

OK, now I'm curious after reading this post. Where would I find an Echoczar?? Is there a website?

7. otherone

toneczareffects.com !!!

8. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Hi Tim,

So you managed to let it go for a couple of days for the mods? :) Good on you! I was almost a little nervous as to what you might think of the new mods (you said yourself that you have a LOT of different applications) - glad they are making the EC even more useful.

I'm all for a settings thread - I'd love to hear how you and others are using it, and I'm sure there are many cool tones to be had that I haven't stumbled upon yet.

Let's do it in a separate thread!

Chris

9. Sherman

Sherman Member

Tim/Otherone,

I love my EC too. I have one of the earlier ones and have been debating sending it back to Ed for the upgrades. Can you tell me how long it took to do the mods?

Thanks guys,

Sherm

10. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Sherman,

Ed is very timely with his work. His progress with my unit was only halted by myself, as my schedule is quite sporadic, and my work often finds me in and out of town. (Ed typically did not receive responses, as to his queries <to me>, <from me> for several days, but upon receipt of which, his responses were far quicker than mine). He'll take good care of you, as he does with all his clients. I cannot possibly recommend his work more highly.

Chris,

I love the idea of a settings thread! I mostly take the month of December off from live electric guitar work (and have, this year, taken that opportunity to upgrade some units that share the board with the Echoczar), and am (against my better judgement - sorta!) looking at new possibilities with that board... in the meantime, I'm using my smaller board for limited electric guitar jobs, as well as my acoustic-electric board (I always find it easier to work in December with scaled-back acoustic projects). Nonetheless - I'll be back! What I've heard so far from the upgraded 'Czar has knocked me sideways - I use that pedal exclusively with my pop rock band, and would prefer to reserve further comment on the upgraded unit until having employed it in a loud, live context - I'm sure you understand. However, if you guys start a "settings" thread, I'll fall in, certainly!