Echopark Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by datguytim, Jan 27, 2013.

1. datguytim

datguytim Member

So I went to the Vintage Guitar Show yesterday (before headed to the dreaded NAMM) and have to say I'm SO glad I did! The best guitars I played by far were by a company I hadn't heard of: Echopark Guitars. These things are to die for - they destroy all the modern stuff with a feel, vibe, & tone that feels 40-50 years old. Anyone here ever played one? Thoughts?

My next guitar is definitely one of these!

2. samdjr74

samdjr74 Member

I've seen there ads in Vintage Guitar but never played one, the look great in the pictures but I don't know anyone who carries them to try out.

3. gecurrie

gecurrie Member

hi all...gabriel here ..Thank you for the kind words!! i deal directon custom orders and special "case study" models but as well have 2 dealers opening up ..chicago music exchange and guitar sanctuary in texas.. iwill try to be more present here...i dedicate All my time to everything related to actual building ...so i dont do a lot of forum stuff...but ill work on it..hahahahaaa!!! everything i do is centered on old school hand building..i know the debate rages on about cnc bla bla..but imho....the less you actually touch an instrument the less soul you transfer to it....im a nut case though!! my whole thing is based on necks fromthe late 30's and the late 50's ,hand made classic pu's that dont color the tone of the wood,one piece (slab)body's, old growth ,reclaimed and quarter sawn neck timbers...oh ..and classic design elements.nitrate guards available..pull back cloth wire....oh and Nitro...!!! well ok the tone caps as standard are Russian...but military spec and again...imho...as good or better the any real /vintage sprauge,asteron... and up there with cornell's..you can go to www.echoparkguitars.com
    thanks again!!
    Gabriel

guitrr, Cotton, CrazyPete and 4 others like this.
  4. R13D

R13D Member

I checked those out there as well and was very impressed.
    Looks are great but the sound /feel was wonderful!
    BTW,I lived in the Echo Park area as kid,fished the lake back then and actually ate some of the bluegills caught there.

5. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    WOW!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I played this one at Mountain Cat Guitars in December and it is DRIPPING with character (hate to say the M word!) just BEGS for some deep blues bent notes and riffing. a MUST get on my list!
    [​IMG]

guitrr likes this.
  6. gecurrie

gecurrie Member

i wont eat the fish!! the park is actually being re built and an all new lake will be full by summer!!

eliot1025 likes this.
  7. Vegas Bob

Vegas Bob Supporting Member

First disclosure before my rant. I manufacture the JR Kohler Precisions Saddles that Gabriel at Echopark uses exclusively on his 3 saddle bridge designs. In fact the first retail set of my saddles landed on the first Clarence Tennessee which is owned by Brad Whitford.

Until January 2013 I had the good fortune to play and in several cases hold onto every guitar Gabriel produced. I did not have an opportunity to try out the guitars he took to the California Guitar Show.

The first guitar I played was his Tennessee Rose. Knocked me out. Amaltifano pickups throughout. 2 Strat in the neck and middle with a Tele Bridge. The fit and finish were stunning. The finish was thin to the point I could see the grain through it.

The neck on all of his guitars are hand cut. They feel like they belong in your hand. The fretwork is always perfection. The action was both low and comfortable.

The neck joining the body was a perfect fit. Yes, it had a bolt on neck but the vibe is set neck all the way.

The knobs and switches are exactly where players want them.

Even though the guitar was brand new if felt like it had been lovingly played for decades.

Acoustically it was vibrant, loud and resonant. I plugged it in and instantly fell in love.

Most of this description would fit any of Gabriel's builds. So what's the magic Juju. Let me tell you there's a lot of magic going on.

First and foremost the man is an artist who cares about each and every guitar he produces. His dedication to perfection borders on a line past relentless.

He knows wood like no other builder I've met. He has quite a collection of incredible wood. A lot of the wood is old, very old. 300 year old Mahogany. 1500 year old Redwood sinker logs. 90 year old bookmatched Koa. The list goes on and on. His supply is all great. There is quite a quantity in the collection so Gabriel is never going to be in the position many builder find themselves in where they have to scramble to get wood for a build. He's sitting on the mother lode.

It all starts with the wood and his passion for his modifications of classic guitar designs from the 1950's. His changes are intelligent. If you check out his site at www.echoparkguitars.com you'll see what I mean.

I'll describe one other guitar I had a chance to bond with. It's the Ghetto Bird that now belongs to Joe Perry. I had it at my house for a week. The best rock guitar I've played.
    The neck was simply too large for me or I would have purchased it immediately. At the first fret the neck is 1.00" at the 12th is was close to 1.25". When I first grabbed the neck I though that I would even be able to play it but I was wrong. It played like butter.
    But I know I'll bond much more with a slightly smaller neck.

This guitar is an homage to the Gibson Firebird. Honestly I never liked the Firebird. But Gabe's take has a totally different feel. The balance point is perfect. The guitar melted into me. The woods in it made the guitar sing.

So how much do I believe in Echopark guitars. I have three being built that I'll get in June. What am I getting?

1) South Sider - highest quality woods, P90's
    2) Ghetto Bird - exactly like Joe Perry's except the neck goes from .950" to 1.00" Loaded with Arcane Humbuckers.
    3) Jonny Two Bags Limited - This is the guitar used exclusively by Jonny. A limited run of 13 guitars. The bad news I'm getting #13.

These are only the beginning for me. I'll be getting more...
    The secret is getting out quickly. Since Gabriel hand makes each guitar totally by himself he can only produce so many per year. Feature articles in Premier Guitar and Tonequest are coming out over the next couple of months. I predict the wait will be getting longer very soon.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  8. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

I had the good fortune of checking out Brad and Joe's Echopark guitars when we spent some time testing with Aerosmith in November. Great work.

I thought that Gabriel was getting some help from Steve in terms of finance to ramp up production ...

9. craigoslo

craigoslo Member

10. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

The Downtowner, Jonny Two-Bags, El Cabillo, and the '59 all have my eyes. I just think a mahogany slab bodied, single p-90 guitar can speak volumes over some guitars that have more to them...sadly I have never owned one up to this point...

11. gecurrie

gecurrie Member

actually.... thats not true!!
    Steven offered to help me out last year...i thought about it..its a serious offer!! one of my heroes helping me?? i havent declined but its not happened either...all of it i have financed my self!!! i have depleted our savings twice!! some say im a nut to do it this way..im blessed to have had the support from day o ne of some great players who know there ****...i work long hours and i search constantly for the tones in my head to come out in the instruments that my hands make.
    i have a small shop with not a lot of tools you may think ihave..no cnc no pin router or sharper...all very close to the dirt...anyhow..just thought ide clear that misinformation up about Steven Tyler backing me Financially!! he aint! no one has or will !!
    Gabriel

12. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Member

I have spoke with Gabriel a few times and gotta say, he is one of the kindest, coolest and most humble builder's and his love of what he does just pours out in every conversation.

I hope all others have the chance to speak with him and own one of his creations.

13. prisonbound

prisonbound Member

Vegas Bob - Is your #13 Two bags done? If so, how about some pics?

14. sahhas

sahhas Member

the clarence custom looks cool. i thought "hadn't i seen that before"
    then i remember premiere guitar had a column about someone who had one of the early G&L protype guitars from leo...and that's essentiall what it looked like. cool guitar!

15. muddy

muddy Member

i like this guy already for puttin' the 5-way where he did on the trem'd jobby...

nl

16. gecurrie

gecurrie Member

yes..that is the one i found up in the loft in Leo's lab at G&L a week after he passed.its a proto from 1968/69 trisonic R&D period.

17. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

Just ordered a Clarence Gold Foil. I'd never heard of Echopark guitars until a couple of days ago, but when Gabriel sent me the picture of the Gold Foil model I had to have it.

18. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Member

Very cool! What is your wait time?

19. Scottone

6 months.

20. Scottone

Looks like Josh has caught the Echopark bug

[​IMG]