Echopark Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by datguytim, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Mooster

Mooster Member

You know what would really infuriate me with the El Cabillo? No top strap button. One could imagine that Gabe wanted to bring an "acoustic guitar" angle to the guitar by omitting a strap button, thereby emphasizing a sit-down and chill experience. Or maybe he forgot. It's such a small thing but it looks like no-one did a quick spot check as a final QC that everything is there.

NewLeaf09 likes this.
  2. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Yeah, my La Carne got the "no strap button" treatment, but the Stockholm Syndrome I was under for two years led me to fix it myself rather than dealing with Gabe again. Fortunately I had a matching piece in the parts bin.

I figured it was an honest mistake, but apparently he's done this a lot, so go figure.

3. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

The narrow headstock width doesn't allow enough space for a straight logo.
    That's a design issue, not a finishing problem.

4. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

He charges that much and doesn't even do his own finish work?

cmatthes and telecrazy like this.
  5. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

You might be surprised by how many luthiers farm out their finish work.

shallbe likes this.
  6. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Member

I didn't post that link for the logo issue. I posted it for the dross replies by both parties on it.

Take this: "echoparkguitars@worldfamouskingrichard I'm beyond that.. these are all re done mow... you know that old saying!! He actually thought I'd hand them off to my clients.... even thoes who are unfamiliar with finish can see these are just wrong...."

Thats after Gabe came on here and admitted shipping out sub-par work himself. Hypocrisy in spades...

Or this: "echoparkguitars@carsonhess81 I hope so too... we all get the opportunity to learn from our mistakes if we are humble"

Obviously not...

7. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

Once upon a time I desperately wanted an Echo Park Ghetto Bird but now I’m pretty sure I would be better buying a Gustavsson guitar . I don’t know Gabe , nor have I ever held one of his guitars . In the modern world and with the internet if you do the wrong thing it’s a problem for you
    . I’m not saying that about Echo Park Guitars , I really don’t know .
    But where once I would have happily laid down the money for an Echo Park Guitar now I’m not so sure it’s a good idea

8. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Supporting Member

I had a guitar made for me by a guy who specializes in high end Les Paul conversions and scratch built guitars using 1950s building processes and materials. He told me up front that another company was going to do the finishing and I was to work directly with them - that's all they do - makeovers, refinishing, and restorations. Each concentrating on what they do best - score.

9. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

A lot of luthiers held in high regard in these here parts do not do their own finish work.

10. Crash-VR

I'd be curious about who does and who doesn't. I just bought a custom guitar from Ron Thorn and I know he does his own. I've owned several Groshes and o can't imagine that he doesn't do his own. I'm sure Tyler does their own. You would hope anyway.

lifeson1 likes this.
  11. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

For the record - I do portions of mine:
    My guy Martin seals them. I then mask, burst or color, and detail the binding / logos /etc.
    Martin then clears, rubs and buffs.
    Basically, I get to do the fun parts and Martin gets the boring work :)
    My permitted spray booth, my buffers, my materials.

12. Deven Patel

Deven Patel Lipe Guitars USA Gold Supporting Member

there is a difference between doing the finishes in house in which a talented painter does the work and the luthier doing the finishes themselves. it's more economical to do it in house like ron thorn, tyler and Anderson since they have a high enough volume. as for other like us at lipe guitars we send out to pat wilkins since the volume does not justify the hiring of a person. mike use to finish guitars but not anymore.

lifeson1, NewLeaf09 and Ron Thorn like this.
  13. dB

dB Supporting Member

Scroll over the first pic of this guitar for a zoomed in view. Follow the edge of the pickguard. What a disaster. It doesn't even come close to fitting the pickups...look how it notches around the dog ear. Some edges are beveled showing the bwb layers, then all of a sudden it's a straight, unbeveled edge, then back to beveled.

Does he also route his pickup cavities with a Dremel? That's the level of craftsmanship that this reminds me of...

magnus02, shallbe, Da Geezer and 2 others like this.
  14. Halsey

Halsey Member

Omg that pickguard is horrible! How could a store even inspect that and then put it up for sale?

JPH118 likes this.
  15. Halsey

Halsey Member

16. beorn

beorn Member

Credit to him for posting an update shot with the customer tagged.

LenPort likes this.
  17. JPH118

JPH118 Member

I'm under the impression that he has one or two pickguard templates and crudely alters them for each model and it's chosen pickups.

18. kbgear

kbgear Silver Supporting Member

Yes. And revoke a credit for posting a picture directly focused on the binding bleed. :facepalm

But hopefully the top and fingerboard and other specs turn out correct...

cmatthes, sksmith66 and 2016aug29 like this.
  19. kbgear

kbgear Silver Supporting Member

Guh. Yeah. You could probably get someone to cut a new pickguard for you, but a lot less fun to plug and re-drill the bridge post(s) in the proper location.

sargebaker, shallbe and NewLeaf09 like this.
  20. Crash-VR

I guess I was just referring to in house. Some people just have the talent with a spray gun. I've worked in several environments with spray booths. I guess it's no different that an amp builder outsourcing the cabinet work.

JPH118 and kbgear like this.