Echopark Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by datguytim, Jan 27, 2013.

1. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Supporting Member

Remove all of the comments of people who don't have a stake in the discussion as you define "stake" and this place would be a ghost town. This place is all about discussion - the commonality that gives us all a stake is our passion to one degree or another about music and the gear used to produce it. I kept seeing EPs for sale in the emporium at high prices and was interested in what made them so expensive and apparently so desirable with the idea of possibly buying one. In trying to find out more about them I came upon this thread. I began at the beginning of this thread when the buzz was entirely positive and read ahead and saw that mood crumble and apparently for good reason.

2. kbgear

kbgear Silver Supporting Member

Same.

3. magnus02

magnus02 Member

As was already stated my stake is the same. A buyer, player and appreciator of boutique builds. That puts Gabe on my radar and is why I'm interested in conversation about a popular builder in this realm and am curious about his ability to deliver on the $3-12,000 price tags he is asking for.

Da Geezer and xzacx like this.
  4. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Fair enough. I misinterpreted. I've seen that happen in other threads by others. My mistake.

5. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

If you donate your Collings SoCo P90 guitar to my research I will be happy to test your theory!

kbgear likes this.
  6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Supporting Member

Its Killer only selling because I have the I-30 arriving Thursday.

JPH118 and FiestaRed like this.
  7. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I have a 290 with the Lollar P90s and it smokes

strangec and JPH118 like this.
  8. LenPort

LenPort Member

I see that the Echopark IG has gone from public to private.

JPH118, FiestaRed and NewLeaf09 like this.
  9. kbgear

kbgear Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like the recent feedback here was reported back to EPG. I predict that someone new comes on here in a week or two saying "Yo, what Instagram account? Fake news!" And we start the circus over again. Efforts to force public opinion away from a negative wave reflect a knowing disregard for competent and honorable business management, IME. Imagine how little it would take to completely right this ship?

JPH118 likes this.
  10. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

Those I30s look very cool...hopefully you can create a review thread once you receive it.

NewLeaf09 likes this.
  11. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

I haven't been following this thread too closely....did you ever get your guitar?

12. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Yet another point completely missed by Gabe... rather than going private, just stop saying dumb sh*t publicly, then you’ve got nothing to hide from the public. It’s not that difficult.

cmatthes, shallbe and FiestaRed like this.
  13. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

I would've done exactly what Gabriel did. His IG is for him to share his creations with the rest of us. Many people (myself included) love looking at what he comes up with, but some people on here watch it like hawks simply to nitpick it for minor things, like the A string touching the E string (which, again, literally hundreds (thousands?) of vintage Gibsons have the same thing). And please don't take this as me trying to stir the pot..."It's just, like, my opinion, man."

14. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Supporting Member

I think letting it cool off is a smart move. Look at the public profiles the smart builders try to maintain vs. the comparatively wild, shoot from the lip comments on the "EPIG" account. Fixing the problems is definitely the right way to go but the most immediate damage control step is to remove comments potential customers might find off-putting and to refrain from adding fuel.

"I'd make sure it's known the company's in business. I'd see that it had a certain panache. That's what I'm good at, not the work, not the work – the presentation."

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  15. JPH118

JPH118 Member

I’ve got 5 with no issues, they must’ve been the exceptions to the rule...

kbgear and cmatthes like this.
  16. Bogner

Bogner Member

Can this ship ever be righted though?

FiestaRed and beorn like this.
  17. beorn

beorn Member

Good question.

Seems like in both this case and Ian Anderson's case, the builder has got to respect the contracted schedule and delivery date. Flimsy excuses don't work.

In Echopark's case, but not Ian's, there's also apparently a problem that the builder doesn't always deliver the guitars that were contracted... meaning the correct tops, the correct fretboards, the correct pickups, etc.

Things like flipped neckplates or notches in pickguards can be considered a style, I suppose, if buyers know about and expect that style in advance.

FiestaRed and JPH118 like this.
  18. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

How long until a builder comes along, inspired by EP's aesthetics (and the ones he borrowed from), offering better-made guitars at a cheaper price in a reasonable time?

JPH118 and NewLeaf09 like this.
  19. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Its absolutely possible to right the ship, if Gabe gets out of his own way for a bit, brings in a Gen. Kelly type to act as shop foreman, and essentially acts like an employee of his own company, carving bodies & necks daily while the foreman serves as QC and checks each order invoice accordingly. Also, let someone with actual PR experience manage your IG and other social media accounts. Make good on guys like LenPort & Cholulo who spent an insane amount on your guitars, only to wait longer than expected (and still wait, in one case)... give them 10% back (you’ve offered 20% off at times in the past, why not extend it to them?), or anything really... all in the name of saving face in front of an increasingly angry & growing mob.

Will any of this happen? I highly doubt it, but that’s how it should be handled IMHO. It’s not exactly rocket surgery.

cholula69 likes this.
  20. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

I find it hilarious that for all the visceral negativity you have towards Echopark, you are using an Echopark in (1) your promotional materials on your website to sell your amps, (2) all over your business IG (to sell amps), and (3) live gigs (which I presume are paid). So basically, you're ripping Gabriel all over this thread, while simultaneously using Gabriel's creations to obtain customers/profits for you and your company. You've found a way to monetize hypocrisy. Nice.