Echopark Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by datguytim, Jan 27, 2013.

1. JPH118

JPH118 Member

I reckon a blurry pic of half a guitar with no visible logo on a stand next to an amp hasn’t brought me a dime of business, but I’ll remove it, if it bothers you that much. in the end, I paid for it, and can do what I like with it, including point out it’s flaws. The name is nowhere near my site, and the IG pics are from a time when I was giving Gabe much benefit of the doubt (like you right now), before the other stories came to surface and my own experience stewed in me upon hearing the other similar tales. Perhaps I’ll remove them now, thanks for reminding me of that.

It IS possible for feelings to change over time, or else we’d all be with our first girlfriends...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Jay K, rkharper, kbgear and 7 others like this.
  2. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Also, if you’ve ever tried to profit from either local bbq joint gigging or amp building, you’d be laughing at your own comment right now...

kbgear, cmatthes and FiestaRed like this.
  3. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

I'm just calling a spade a spade. You have been one of the most active and vocal critics of Gabe and EP, so imagine my surprise when I go onto your business social media and find pics of your Echopark with the caption "I LOOOOOVEEEE YOUUUUUUUU," and the same guitar propped up against one of the amps you're trying to sell on your business website. Definitely wasn't expecting that. If you're really interested in "warning" people about EP, maybe you should start by including a disclosure statement indicating you have a conflict of interest.

4. JPH118

JPH118 Member

You’ve actually made a great point that I’ve taken to heart, and I appreciate it (no sarcasm or snark whatsoever).

I've removed the potentially hypocritical past posts & also the website image... i'm sure more pics/videos will emerge from my gigs, but that's mainly bc i didn't pay 5 grand for a mahogany doorstop.

cmatthes likes this.
  5. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

What's your stake here? Are you an EP owner? Your only "contributions" are defending this shyster of a guitar maker.

Who are you to attack owners here who have every right to post pix of the shoddy workmanship, post pix of their EP guitars in any way they see fit? Or call them out by cyberstalking them?

JPH118 and Da Geezer like this.
  6. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

I am glad to hear you've taken my comments to heart. But, just to be clear, you have a recent post on IG of you rocking out on your EP that is from September 24, 2017. Yet, your negative posts on this thread, as far as I can tell, go back to July 2017. So, you've been enjoying your EP "behind-the-scenes" by playing it out live, while simultaneously coming on here ripping Gabe and EP, and trying to call me out. That's a little unfair.

7. LenPort

LenPort Member

No guitar yet.

8. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

I joined in 2016. Mr. Henry can post whatever he wants; he's an adult. But I have every right to "call him out" about his IG, the same way that scores of people on this thread do to Gabe's IG. Fair's fair.

9. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

What compelled you to start posting at this time, a year and a few months after you joined? Do you own an EP?

Did you ever experience giving a contractor a deposit for work and then being told to wait for a very long time? Ever pay someone for a service or repair on something and weren't happy with the timeliness or quality of their work?

What guitars do you own?

cmatthes likes this.
  10. JPH118

JPH118 Member

I’ve actually mentioned numerous times in this very thread that I do in fact play my EP regularly, and the flaws that came with mine were fixed by myself. Nothing “behind the scenes” about it. Heck, I play my Gibsons and still think their CEO is the freakin’ antichrist.

LenPort and Jay K like this.
  11. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

This is the only statement you've made I agree with. :beer

JPH118 likes this.
  12. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Ha, well I really don't think we're that far off... the only difference is that none of this info about EPG was public during my waiting time. If i made my deposit and then saw this thread, i'd be defensive, afraid, probably nauseated, and seeking any glimmer of hope that maybe my guitar would be an exception, which i'd imagine is how you're feeling.

FOR THE RECORD: When my one year wait turned into two, I defended Gabe, mostly to my nagging girlfriend and a few musician friends, but I didn't get on him for it, and gave him benefit of the doubt. When my guitar was finally ready but had the wrong bridge pickup, i was incredibly deflated, and it was my first personal experience with Gabe's lack of detail. Still, benefit of the doubt all around. Then, the invoice error... fine, people make mistakes, and it was corrected in the end. I was so happy to finally have SOMETHING, ANYTHING to show for my money, that I overlooked the slight flaws, the out-of-phase pickups, the missing strap pin... even if Gabe said "send it back", that prob would've meant another month without it. Besides, the finish was beautiful, neck carve incredible, proper pickups sounded great after i rewired them, and i had a matching strap pin in the parts drawer. So I played it, and posted pics, and felt like a member of the exclusive EPG "club", if you will... and that's right around when this thread started to take off. All of a sudden, those "benefit of the doubt" moments really pissed me off... I started wondering about the invoice, and how many others may have overlooked similar errors out of sheer happiness to receive their finished instrument. I defended this guy, waited twice as long as estimated, and was nearly overcharged for something that was a bit overpriced to begin with (he actually lowered the price on La Carnes in the time since i placed my order), and now i'm seeing all of these other guys with similar stories, some issues far greater than mine had, and I felt incredibly taken. Naturally, my initial feelings soured, and those little things seemed huge, especially at the price point. Then, Gabe's "little folk" comment made me want to break the guitar in half.

Do I still play the guitar? Yes, I do. Am I proud to say I own it? I answer that with a disclaimer. It plays great and sounds great, which i've said publicly many times over. Would I do it again? Not a chance. Buyer's remorse? Yes, but I know I won't get my $ back, so I might as well enjoy it as much as I can anyhow.

As for my amps, it began as a hobby that I incorporated this past September mainly because a friend was using one for some very high-profile shows and I wanted everything on the up-&-up going forward. I'm very proud of what I build, but it's a side business on top of my sound engineering day gig, and likely will stay that way.

sargebaker and LenPort like this.
  13. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

This thread keeps getting stranger and stranger, and the degree to which people are willing to let things slide in a really expensive guitar is pretty amazing to me but hey YMMV. The real benefit of this thread - and I certainly hope it stays up - is that I am fortunate enough to be able to afford guitars in EP's price range and this thread has ensured I would never ever consider giving money to EP. There are too many other better choices, fortunately for all of us

14. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that...hope you see it soon and its everything that you hoped for.

kbgear likes this.
  15. xzacx

xzacx Member

Whatabout Steinbergers? They don't have any headstock at all - that surely makes any flaws on an Echopark out of bounds of pointing out. Whatabout Fender? Those '70s Strats only had three screws - Echopark's have four, even if they're all different. Whatabout Samsung? Its phones were exploding. Echopark may invoice wrong, have poor communication skills, deliver incorrect specs, insult vendors and customers, produce shoddy build quality, and keep customers waiting, but at least the guitars don't explode when you get them. Whatabout...

This thread is about Echopark; it isn't about Gibson. Even if 95% of their guitars had that problem, it doesn't mean that an Echopark guitar wouldn't also be wrong for it. Bringing that up is nothing but misdirection.

It's fine for you to have an opinion, but when your opinion is complaining about other people's opinions, regarding a product that you DO have a stake in (despite trying to talk around it with semantics), it comes across as disingenuous.

16. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

This thread isn't about Mr. Henry or his amps and guitars. It's about Echopark's customer service and product.

I know it is a tact to get him back on his heels so the real issues aren't being discussed. If you don't like him, start your own thread.

cmatthes, JPH118 and jiml like this.
  17. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

This, and this guy @Crshngdstryr is on someones high horse about nitpicking and motives for posting here. Yet, when he is asked to provide reasons for why he is on a crusade to repair "poor Gabe's" reputation by doing so, he goes silent.

Schill, schill, schill....

cmatthes and JPH118 like this.
  18. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

No, it was to show the disparity between what he says on here and what he says/does elsewhere. Not sure why you're even involving yourself. Him and I already squashed it.

Also, you are continuing to prove that if anyone in here deigns to offer a contrary opinion, they'll be crucified for it. Some (but not most) of you guys are really something else. Anyway, let the bashing continue...

19. LenPort

LenPort Member

Well said my friend! I spent months back in late 2016 nibbling my fingers to the nub in worry about my guitar, my deposit, and if anyone else was feeling like I was about all this. Then, by chance I happened back to this thread, after visiting it early on and viewing the acres of accolades, to find that there were others that were having and experiencing the same issues/uneasiness. That was you (and a couple others), and for that I thank you! It was like finding a brother you never knew you had. Someone that could relate. I have been waiting just about 3X the quoted build time. Things have changed in my life; ups and downs, a death in the family, financial turbulence, hurricanes, etc.... People go thru changes over 2 years.
    For me, I'm going to give Gabe the benefit of the doubt and see what this guitar will be. I won't ever do this again though, not with Gabe and not with any builder that takes a year or more to produce product. I just don't do well with long waits, and there's too much top of the line used guitars that to me are an all around better decision.
    Moving forward, I feel this thread has been positive in many ways. Gabe has communicated more with me in the last month or so than he ever has. The pics of my guitar that he has recently sent do look very nice. I am trying to keep my hopes up that it will be a great instrument. I feel that much of the rekindled communication is due to the brothers I have on this forum, who have been very supportive when things were sketchy, and I was feeling like Sh;t on toast.
    Finally, and I mentioned this to Gabe,,,,when I do receive my guitar, I will post on here a thorough review. If it's great, I'll sound my barbaric yawp! It will be interesting to see how things will play out. I'm hoping that Santa will have something in his sleigh for me this year, but alas; that's less than 2 weeks away.

20. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Same here....never a penny.
    This thread is a great service to potential future victims to warn them off of EP and towards reputable builders.

JPH118, Gilky, cmatthes and 1 other person like this.