Echopark Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by datguytim, Jan 27, 2013.

1. 1ststatestereo

1ststatestereo Supporting Member

I’m so relieved you like it.

LenPort likes this.
  2. malakka

malakka Supporting Member

Congrats LenPort on getting your guitar after the long wait and frustration at times. To me, it looks killer. The guitar came out great despite those few so-so things. I really like EP's work, glad you are happy with it!

LenPort likes this.
  3. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Congrats man!! Great looking fiddle, and excellent review. I wish you a lifetime of good playing!!

LenPort likes this.
  4. xzacx

xzacx Member

Please don’t waste our time with anything less than 4K quality. :sarcasm

Seriously though, really glad you received it and are happy with it!

LenPort likes this.
  5. desertrat07

desertrat07 Supporting Member

Cool man! The first two sentences of your review are 90% of what matters - sound and neck carve are the two big ones for me in terms of how I will interact (I.e., get along) with a guitar. The rest can be fixed and/or don't matter much. It certainly has an awesome fundamental tone based on that "sh!tty" phone vid you posted. (Lol). Enjoy it, wabi sabi and all.

LenPort likes this.
  6. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I knew you'd love it! Since I started this thread, I stand by my original post: Gabe makes f*cking amazing guitars - head & shoulders above the rest. Looking forward to receiving my Custom La Carne - WHENEVER it gets finished - be it a month or another year - I've played enough EPs to know that it's more than worth the wait.

7. Hexum

Hexum Member

@LenPort A weight off of your chest is a weight off of mine, brother. So happy one of us crossed the finish line! I think Saturday, it'll have been two years since my initial email to Gabe and about six weeks off of it being two years since I placed my order; I'm comin' right up behind ya!
    You've put me at ease about tone and playability. I'm elated that you're elated about the sound, how it plays, how the neck handles, etc. I kept worrying that I wasn't getting the full Echopark experience if I didn't get a fat@$$ neck on mine. So, then I bumped up to the '38 V-'59 D shape and now sometimes I worry it'll be too fat! You've made this rookie feel good about what's on the way.
    It sounds like Gabe nailed it. I can only hope I feel the same joy when my Clarence gets here.
    As far as the cell phone video goes, great playing! I mean, yeah, it's a cell-phone video, but no one in their right mind was expecting a PGS Andy-style demo. I still think it sounds very articulate and unique! And for what it's worth, I dig the truss rod cover.
    I can't tell you enough how happy I am for you, my friend. I hope it is worth every cent and every ounce of worry. Now go play the s/hit outta that thang!!!

LenPort and 1ststatestereo like this.
  8. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

Neck? Bridge? Nut? Something's off-kilter...
    [​IMG]

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

loosen the neck screws, a slight tug upwards re-tighten the neck screws. That neck has shifted in the pocket. It happens sometimes with most bolt on guitars.

Scottone likes this.
  10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Great! Sounds like you are already bonding with it. To me, the feel of the neck, the fretboard and the guitar tone determine if it is a keeper or not. The board on your guitar looks like great wood, nearly poreless, and I love the frets over the binding. Enjoy! You certainly deserve it.

LenPort likes this.
  11. desertrat07

desertrat07 Supporting Member

There are a slew of new and lightly used EP's on Reverb right now - at one point, I would have been be sorely tempted to grab one of them. Not any more. Are people bailing on this brand, or is Gabe righting the ship? Curious if anybody has had any recent experiences (positive or negative)?

12. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

My sentiments as well.

13. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

It's disappointing to hear about the problems people have had with Echopark. I lucked out in that the guitar took longer than quoted but that was it in terms of issues, something I've come to expect when ordering a new guitar.

As for selling, I'm doing it because I just freak out too much over playing out an $8K plus guitar and can't justify having a guitar I only play at home, plus a less expensive one to play out.

14. cholula69

cholula69 Supporting Member

During my wait, I lost my job. I found a temporary position to hold me over and I am feeling better. The price tag on the guitar really made me think about where I need to have money in the event of another emergency like the one I just had. Once I mentally let go I don't feel so bad selling. It is a beautiful playing and feeling guitar but I need sell, as bad as I want to keep it. I am also looking to become independent and am exploring different business opportunities.

15. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I wonder (not being sarcastic, well not 100%) what steps he's cut out or optimized to offer a line that is dramatically cheaper than his other offerings. Is it just options or is he adjusting the manufacturing process (more outsourcing, etc)? Hopefully these are built to his spec, built in a transparent manner and only sold AFTER completion.

16. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

As I understand it, the DT line is built with CNC, whereas his custom line is not.

17. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

His work looks shoddy for the money. Add the lousy attitude towards customers, and that's just completely unacceptable. They just aren't worth it.

18. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

It's funny how many people criticize the Suhr single cut's price of $8k. Built by John and his shop manager personally and guaranteed perfect. No shoddy work there. Yet there seems to be plenty of support to Echopark guitars despite all the nonsense.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is it the same people criticizing Suhr that are supporting Echo Park?

EricPeterson likes this.
  20. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Good point