Echopark Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by datguytim, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Supporting Member

I think the major complaint about the Suhr single cuts, is they were all gone within hours of the official announcement.

Stu Cats and JPH118 like this.
  2. beorn

beorn Member

Well, those were all dealer sales. The actual sales to guitarists haven't all been made even now -- here's one that's still open.

The major complaint about the Suhr single cuts is that they seem determined not to do a demo video.

Oh, and there are some people who think an LP-style guitar made out of okoume and khaya, instead of mahogany, isn't going to sound good. But I think most of us just want to hear for ourselves.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Supporting Member

I'm sure they will sound Amazing.

4. JPH118

JPH118 Member

didn’t try the Suhr at NAMM, mainly because they looked too immaculate to be touched, but also bc i didn’t need the GAS. Really incredible looking in person.

5. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I can't look at pics of the Goldtop because I need a new pair of shorts each time I do.

JPH118 likes this.
  6. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Khaya was used by Gibson in the late 50’s early 60’s, it is a Mahogany. Okoume is very similar in properties and look, just consistently light. Our Okoume guitars we make like the satin always get rave reviews in the tonal department. Okoume body was just a natural choice. So far they are all under 8.3lbs. We will do a demo video but I’m not sure what that will tell anyone. The guitar is vibrant and very punchy. In fact it took me by surprise, I was expecting light weight to be light in the bass but not at all.

johnetone, EricPeterson, Jaya and 4 others like this.
  7. beorn

beorn Member

I think the surprise on that subject stems from the way Suhr has provided demos for all products -- guitars, amps, pedals, even pickups -- going back a decade or more, and often featuring well-known players like Pete Thorn and Andy Wood.

8. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

And the ROI of creating that content is not always the best use of funds especially when there was really no need to “sell” something in this case. I’m trying something a little different this time, build them and let the product speak for itself. Especially when I can only produce x many the first year.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  9. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

The price of high-end, non-custom guitars has indeed become hard to figure and seemingly very high. I don't think the absolute value is really there for the really high-end production Hubers, Suhrs, Ruokangases, etc., but utility and cost-per-feature is not how such things are valued anyway. There's the design itself (mostly the carves, aesthetic touches, etc.) and execution, and with those and other builders you are getting into look, fit, and finish (and playability) at a really high level. At that point, the market decides what those qualities are worth, and the guitars are moving so that says it all. These have become mostly rich men's guitars, which I think is too bad and not what I would myself be into producing, but so it goes. There are plenty of companies working like dogs to deliver super-playability at a discount. Lots of good guitars for everyone out there. No way I'm paying over $4K for a guitar, ever.

malakka likes this.
  10. JPH118

JPH118 Member

After 30+ years of incredible design on both the guitar & amp front, Mr. Suhr owes nothing to anyone in my opinion. The guitars speak for themselves, and if you want one, you know you're getting your money's worth.

11. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Funny how this Echopark thread took a major turn.:p

JPH118 likes this.
  12. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I forgot what thread I was in for a minute...

Teleplayer and paintguy like this.
  13. JPH118

JPH118 Member

I believe the proper term is "gaslighting"...

14. beorn

beorn Member

Grateful, I'm sure, that the complaints have been dialed back. But also humbled, perhaps, that the worst anybody can say about Suhr is "We'd like to hear more about your new model."

Been quite a while since that was true of Echopark.

15. FiestaRed

It funny that we have to talk about another brand of guitar in order to get quality guitars and great customer service into an Echopark thread.

Stu Cats, Da Geezer, JPH118 and 4 others like this.
  16. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I used to be like that. Now, at my point in life, I buy them to play and hold onto.

I have a longstanding friend with a crazy vintage collection. Here are a few of the guitars he gigs: '59 Burst, '60 Burst, '59 Korina V, '54/'56/'59 Strats, '64 Birds (two of them). But, on the other hand, he'll also take a $99 Squire Strat to a gig to play slide (He's a longtime studio player that's been on a zillion recordings).

I was talking to him a few months ago and he said the cleaning lady accidentally hit the headstock on his '60 and dinged it. His response, "$ht happens. You buy them to play, and pass along to the next generation."

17. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Just a taste of what's incoming....

johnetone, relix63, Whitecat and 4 others like this.
  18. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Looks cool...what's the specs?

19. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Old Stock Black Limba Body from the '50s, Old Stock White Limba Neck (same era), Old Stock Zircote fingerboard, Medium/Large D neck, Dogear P90 Bridge PU - Silver Coil Neck PU. Basically my dream axe!

JPH118 likes this.
  20. FiestaRed

Wonder how long that one will take

Teekon, istantodf and JPH118 like this.