Echopark Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by datguytim, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Mooster

Mooster Member

3 things on EPG pricing:

1. The guitar you’re waiting to receive is $500 cheaper on the downloaded price list on his website. Have a look, $10,000 vs $10,500 he quoted to you.

2. When I asked for a case study it was priced at $11,500, but a very similar guitar got shipped to the local store for the equivalent of $9,989. But if you look on the price list to build a guitar in the same spec, it’s $7,500. But it’s not called a “case study”. I don’t know if it’s magic wood that’s missing but it’s the same species of wood, same spec, etc.

3. I think JPH118 had the same issue, when I was thinking about and inquiring about the spec of the guitar whilst it was just an order on a form, I was quoted ever increasing prices for things that were not supposed to cost extra. That stopped me changing my mind about the spec after the invoice was made.

2. LenPort

LenPort Member

I called Cliff to see if the 'Downtowner Custom' he had on his site was available, as it was indicated on DAG that it was. It wasn't. We had a chat about EP. Lasted an hour. There wasn't any more than that. Honestly, going from thinking you may be able to buy an Axe and have it in a couple Days vs being told you have to order and hang for 9 months put a serious downer on my impulses. There was no, let me think it over with Cliff, or I'll get back to ya. I was curious about the one his site said was there, and it wasn't. We talked at length about Gabriel and the guitars he makes.

3. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Stu Cats and cmatthes like this.
  4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Supporting Member

That sucks, I hope you get everything you paid for.

5. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Mine was a little different... I placed my order in early 2015 just after prices had been raised across the board, but was ok with the total invoice price. A year (or maybe two) later, I noticed the same model was reduced back to its old price, which was annoying for sure since I was still waiting for mine, but I couldn’t really complain, that’s just business. The really egregious part was when my final invoice had my initial deposit amount lowered by $300, but the grand total stayed the same, so the difference/amount due was greater than on the first invoice. I raised the issue, and it was immediately changed with no argument or explanation. Could’ve been an honest mistake, if the numbers were re-typed for some reason. Glad I had checked the original invoice though.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  6. cholula69

cholula69 Supporting Member

I would call the invoice an honest mistake. I know Dawn was having trouble with migraine headaches and she managed to work through this trouble. I also had a small invoice error but it was promptly corrected.

JPH118 likes this.
  7. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Migraines never cause initial deposit errors to be for more than what was actually paid, only less. It's amazing how the brain works!

8. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Supporting Member

Now here's an Echopark I could buy:

http://www.vintagegitar.no/gitar-el...rk-guitars/3617-echopark-clarence-j-gold-coil

Apart from some "gunk" on the left bottom part of the neck - looks like pickguard foil? - this one looks like it's done right. Expensive, but if I had the money, that's one I'd be interested in (same model as Greg Leisz played at that Bill Frisell show I mentioned earlier - sounded great).

9. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Sorry. That's just sad.

10. 2016aug29

How so? I can't see any flaws, apart from the one I thing mentioned, which may not be a flaw at all.

11. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I'm guessing the point is that it's sad that you have to look thru dozens to find a multi thousand dollar guitar without flaws that can be seen from 10' away.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    JPH118 and sunbrst62 like this.
  12. 2016aug29

That is sad indeed. What is maybe sadder is that clearly the man in question knows how to make a fun, different, cool-looking, great-sounding, good-quality guitar - which is what caught my attention in the first place - arguable worthy of the price tag. Such a shame that he throws it all away like that.

JPH118 likes this.
  13. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

Looks like the protective plastic is still on the pick guard. Cool looking guitar...I was thinking of ordering one of this model when it came out.

2016aug29 likes this.
  14. detroiter711

detroiter711 Member

I played a couple of El Montes at CME recently and I really liked the neck carve, very comfortable and full without being unamanageable.

15. cholula69

Are they more of a '54 baseball bat style or something different?

16. detroiter711

detroiter711 Member

The neck was a full C shaped neck. Kind of similar to a Warmoth Boat Neck carve.

17. JPH118

JPH118 Member

That makes me wonder how many others had "errors" that weren't caught... in the excitement of finally receiving the invoice, i nearly paid it without due diligence. Fortunately, I was raised by a bookkeeper who analyzed every receipt & bill she ever received.

cmatthes likes this.
  18. cholula69

I think if it was more widespread people would say something. I really believe it was an honest mistake. Given the volume of work, acceptable. I was not raised by an accountant and I still caught it.

19. cholula69

Sounds like a nice neck profile especially if the shoulders a rolled a bit.

20. desertrat07

desertrat07 Supporting Member