Echoplex EP-2 Help Needed - Erase Problem

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by zdeeds, Feb 17, 2015.

1. zdeeds

zdeeds Member

Hi All-
    I've been working on fixing-up an EP-2 (tube with SoS) and have run into a roadblock. I've knocked out a serious flutter issue and improved the # of delay repeats but can't seem to fix an erase issue. Essentially, it won't fully erase previous recordings. Here's what I have done so far
    - Full tape path cleaning, demag, and new Orbit Electronix tape
    - All new electrolytics
    - replaced a few out of spec resistors & orange drop caps
    - tested tubes (checked out fine), even replaced the 6C4
    - Resistance on erase/record head checks out OK

I've checked the voltage & frequency on the erase & record heads and the voltage seems low to me. Can anyone confirm? What are the recommended settings?

Record: Maxed-out at ~41VAC, 64kHz
    Erase: variable with trim pot, 64 kHz

I tested an EP-3 that had just been worked on by Orbit and the erase head was ~51VAC and 70kHz.

Any ideas where to look next? I would be forever indebted to anyone who can help!

Thanks!
    Zack

2. WaltC

WaltC Member

check/compare the erase head alignment to the tape to the record heads. If the record and/or playback heads are aligned on the tape centered on a different spot than the erase head, then that *could* cause the problem you're seeing. Also check the spacing between the head and the tape surface, if the head is too far from the tape in might also cause this problem.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

The tape should be touching the heads - at least on every tape device I've ever been in.

4. zdeeds

zdeeds Member

Thanks for the ideas guys, I plan to do some more work on it today and will use these ideas. I'll report back...