Echoplex Gas: Belle Epoch vs Danelectro Reel Echo

Dannyz

Im looking for a Echoplex-inspired pedal to satisfy my gas. I know that both pedals are digital. The Danelectro Reel Echo got the vintage look which is great, with its delay slider, vintage metallic knobs and large seafoam box. The Catalinbread looks more compact and better constructed but i dont know which one exceeds at recreating the original Echoplex sound and feel.

My amp has effects loop but im an old school guy, so it doesnt get used, i just throw evey pedal in front of the amp with great results (fuzzes, ODs, dist, chorus, phase, etc).

Between those two, which one you recommend me and why?

seiko

I own the Belle Epoch now, I had a Reel Echo years ago. I've owned a real EP3 in between. IMO the Belle Epoch is the closest you can get to the real thing in pedal form.

What's FUN about the Reel Echo is the slider, it chops up the sound in a cool way, not like a tape echo at all, but interesting....

Black_Label

I like the Belle Epoch for copping EP-3 sounds when I'm not using an EP-3. It's not just the sound - it's about how it reacts. The way it oscillates, the way the rec lvl knob works. The way it lags a bit as you turn the delay knob up and down. The preamp. Soundwise, it's about as good as you're gonna get without real tape. But the thing that makes it work is the way it reacts.

Dannyz

I own the Belle Epoch now, I had a Reel Echo years ago. I've owned a real EP3 in between. IMO the Belle Epoch is the closest you can get to the real thing in pedal form.

What's FUN about the Reel Echo is the slider, it chops up the sound in a cool way, not like a tape echo at all, but interesting....
@seiko with the Reel Echo´s slider, can you replicate what Jimmy Page does with his Echoplex at 02:37 min?

71strat

Heres a good choice. Also not saying 1 is better than the other. Its all good. Most all of the better stuff is great stuff IMHO. Digital, or Analog.

I like to combine a Kyle Chase EP3 ( Secret Preamp ) and either a MOOG Minifooger, or Moogerfooger MF104M Delay for my Echo Purposes. I also use 1 of the EP3s as an always on pedal, towards the end of the chain.

The Secret Preamp uses ALL Exact, NOS parts that are original to the best, and most sought after of the EP3 circuits. All EP3 preamps weren't even close to being the same. The circuits could vary greatly.

It also is 2 Preamps in 1 pedal. Via Toggle, it can have either the early 70s Bright circuit, or the late 70s Dark circuit. This IS an EP3 Preamp. Not just a simulation/copy. Well worth the money.

Last edited:

71strat

I like to use a Kyle Case Secret Preamp, and either a MOOG Minifooger Delay, or the MOOG MF104M.

Secret Preamp is an Exact copy of both the Early 70s Bright circuit, and the late 70s Dark circuit. It uses all NOS parts that are original to the best and most sought after of the EP3 preamps. All EP3s weren't the same, and the circuits varied wildly.

The SP also runs on a Vintage Correct 22v. Clinch also runs on 22v. Few run on 22v. This IMHO adds greatly to feel.

Its all good though. I also use the Fryette FX8 as my grab and go effects board.

But I like the SP with any good Delay that has nice Tape Simulation. I use 2 of them. 1 before Delay, when I want it, and its not always on. 1 at the end of chain that's always on.

augur

Had a Danelectro many years ago (actually the 1st delay I bought).
It was fun! But really lofi.....and nothing can beat Belle Epoch if you're looking for the EP3 sound.
+ Belle Epoch has EP3 preamp inside!

Trending Topics