Echoplex price..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rastaman, Jul 20, 2006.

1. rastaman

rastaman Member

So what's the fair market value for an Echoplex in good shape and good working order these days?

2. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Which model?
    EP 1?
    EP 2?
    EP 3?
    EP 4?

It makes a significant difference.

3. rastaman

rastaman Member

Not sure, I saw it in a store for consingnment. They want $600, I'll see wich one it is.

4. Layne-o

Layne-o Silver Supporting Member

If it's in excellent condition, I've seen some go as high as a brand new Fulltone TTE.

5. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Check it out.
    EP 1 and 2 are tube driven, EP 3 & 4 are solid state.
    People have differing opinions on these, but typically, the EP 2 is considered the most desirable tube version and the EP 3, the more desirable ss model.

At that price, I am guessing it is an EP 3 or 4.

6. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

What are the visual differences between a EP 3 and EP 4? I think what I have is an EP 3.

7. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

8. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet Gold Supporting Member

9. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I just got a very clean EP-3 with the original footswitch, tape demagnetizer and 4 extra tapes for $395. The only thing missing is the original handle but the handle mount is there. The inside lid with the descriptions of the control functions is 100% and the unit sounds great. I would recommend you keep the name and number of a good tech though as these are 30+ year old units. I was referred to a guy named Jeff Ohliger. Do a search uner my name and you will find the thread which has his number in it. He is top notch and highly recommended.

10. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Thanks Greg! I just looked into mine. I see nothing referencing EP3 or EP4, but there is a sticker with the serial number 34092, it does not have LEDs on the face plate.

*** Edit *** I just read back up the post and see that mine is indeed a EP3.

GIT is going well for me, but I've never been a good student so I have to work 3 times as hard for a good grade as then next guy. I did get mostly A+ on my classes last quarter, but I had to work 40 hours of homework a week to get there. It's a burn-out amount of work but it sure beats designing Printed Circuit Boards.

11. rastaman

rastaman Member

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'd put my money on the the Fulltone Rasta. If you dont know what your getting into you could wind up with a worn out pile a crapola. I know days aint cheap though at what that dude spent to do it its gonna be a while aforin he breaks even.

I've never heard the Fulltone but I have heard the Tube Echoplex and they is sweet sounding. They add a warmness to em and you can get a little breakup out of em too.

To me though with new versions available to buy an old one with out knowing much about em would be like deciding to do some recording and buying a Tascam 38 RTR Tape Machine with no knowledge of being able to fix on em. Youd be better off to buy one of them new fangled digital recorders. :AOK

Just my 2 cents.

13. doctorx

doctorx Member

The EP3 is the first solid state model, used by Eric Johnson, Tommy Bolin, Jimmy Page, and EVH. If your EP3 serial # is in the thirties, it is a later model which is fine. $600 is too much unless it is mint and unused. You can get EP3's on Fleabay all the time for $250-$350. It's important to know that any vintage Echoplex will need a little work to bring it up to snuff. New tape, rebiasing to match the new tape, and a thorough cleaning. Check out the webpage I did on my EP-3.

14. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, Jeff Olinger, is a FANTASTIC technician. You would be hard pressed to find someone with more knowledge and skill working on Echoplexes, or for that matter, vintage tube amps too. His number is 515-255-9555. No affiliation, other than he is my tech for all my stuff, and has worked on all 3 of my Echoplexes.

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Where is he located?

16. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

He is in Des Moines, IA, he owns a shop called Tri-Point Audio. Very in demand and extremely competent tech, very meticulous work too. Usually its hard to tell he's even been inside your stuff, other than the new caps, or whatever the task may be.

17. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

Another great Echoplex guy is Roy Blankenship, now making Blankenship amps.
    Can do an Echoplex right.

18. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I used to have one, it sounded good, but you will HAVE to put it in a bypass loop, it killed my tone when I had one in bypass mode.... pretty good tape sound I thought... I like the Deluxe Memory Man these days.