Echoplex rebuild

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, Feb 11, 2012.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I got my EP-3 back from Tony at Orbit Electronix yesterday and I have to say, his workmanship is killer and the unit sounds better than it ever has since I've had it!

My unit was in solid shape but had never really been serviced and I have to say as good as it was I've been missing out...it's quieter, runs more smoothly and sounds better!

I wish I had known the difference a service would have made i'd have done it long ago!

If anybody out there has a Plex that needs work Tony is the man, full on rebuild, tape rewinds and a good guy to boot!

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I need to do that for sure with my EP3, it needs a little lovin.

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I can't say enough good things about dealing with Tony...super nice guy and the Plex sound better than it has since I've owned it for sure!

I'm guessing this is pretty much what an EP-3 sounded like when they were brand new!

4. traviswalk

My only concern is that my EP3 has a near perfect amount of warble and wow & flutter, it adds this ethereal quality to the repeats that my TTE comes nowhere close to. I'm afraid it's it's slicked up it will lose some of the grunge that makes it so unique!

5. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Good to know, thanks for the heads up on this outfit.

Kind Regards,
    Steve

6. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Mine needs a cap job and a 3-prong plug added. A quick bias wouldn't hurt. I would love to have a terrible plastic Fulltone cartridge rewound onto the old original less-squeaky cartridge. All things I know how to do myself. But it's been sitting and sitting waiting for me to find the time. Since it's clear it will be 2042 before I get the time, I should just break down and send it in to someone like this. I have an old 70's Marantz receiver that needs similar lovin'. I might have to send that out too.

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Mine before the rebuild had a fair bit of wow and flutter, too much IMO and I was afraid that once I got it back I'd have to re break it in before it started sounding sweet again and all I can say is I was wrong.

It sounds perfect as-is after the rebuild...really amazing!

I've tried a TTE more than once and they are good but they lack something my old EP-3 had before the rebuild and I'm pleased to say that it still has it1

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Tony at Orbit will get the unit, open it up and then contact you and advise what he thinks it really needs and give you options.

He gave me a few options and then explained to me the pros and cons of each option.

Also the time line was quick...I mailed it to Tony and had it back in about 2 weeks plus he rewound 4 tapes for me and I had to wait on foot switches to come in for him as he was out of stock when he got my unit.

I can't say enough good things about Tony and about how much he helped my EP-3 sound this good!

9. traviswalk

That's encouraging, thanks for the note! Agree the TTE is inferior in most respects compared to a well running EP3.