Echoplex Service tech

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by todd richman, Jul 10, 2006.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Hello everyone. I just purchased a very clean original Echoplex EP-3. It even has 4 NOS tapes, a demagnetizer and original footswitch. I am looking for a good tech to look it over and also have available in the future in case anything goes down on the unit plus routine maintenance. I know that the guy from Fuzzorama is out of business and was in the end not very reliable. Who else is out there. Names, phone numbers, etc welcome. Thanks...

2. doctorx

doctorx Member

I did a web page on my Echoplex, check it out.

There are maintenence tips, and other stuff. The background on it is screwed up right now, I'll fix it tonight when I get home from work. Do a Control "A" to select the text so you can see it if you can't wait.

For service, Jeff Andrews here in Atlanta might be able to help you:

www.andrewsamplab.com

3. todd richman

Hi Regis and thanks for the info. Tell me a bit about the rollers from Terry? Also, where did you get the stand, very Jimmy Page! Mine is probably an EP-3b as it has the longer rectangular Maestro Echoplex black and white logo on the case. Thanks again...

4. doctorx

doctorx Member

Hi Todd,

Terry rebuilds pinch rollers for tape decks. Mine was usable but worn and I sent it to him for rebuilding, and he sent it back brand new. It's a bit pricy, around $40 I think, but it was worth it to me, cutting down on the wow and flutter.

I built that stand myself, or rather, I had a carpenter friend build the holder and I finished it. I shortened a tripod mike stand for the stand and used a mike flange to attach it. I also drilled a four large holes on the bottom of the holder for ventilation. Some black paint, brass corners, there ya go.

I also built a little "snake" for the in and out cables to cut down on clutter. I used a length of mike cable that had two conductors and a shield, and put to plugs on each end to go back and forth to my pedalboard. I didn't get a footswitch with my Plex so I bent a joist hanger into a U shape and drilled a hole for a switch.

The important thing about an Echoplex is keeping it clean. I use mine a couple of times a week, including one long band practice and I clean it every other practice. It only takes a few minutes and keeps it sounding good. Use Isopropyl alcohol on the heads and rubber cleaner on the pinch roller.

I don't want to bum you out Todd, but you really shouldn't use those NOS tapes. If they are from the seventies those tape formulations are pretty much obsolete in terms of audio quality and tape shedding, and abrasiveness. I would buy a couple of new ones from Mike Battle's son and go that route. Don't toss the old cartridges though, because they can be reloaded. I've done this with my old cartridges. I'm going to do a web page on how to do that eventually. You will have to have the plex biased to suit the new tape, I have instructions for that on my web page. Gotta have an oscilloscope and a signal generator though. Jeff Andrews did it for me.

5. JLee

JLee Member

You could also try www.tubeplex.com Mike Battle, the original designer, is still repairing Echoplexes and producing tapes. Mine may be on it's way to him soon, if my local shop can't figure out the problems with mine.

6. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Jeff Olinger in Des Moines, Iowa, phone is 515-255-9555. He's worked on TONS of Echoplex's keeping them going over the years. I let him work on my Ep-3 and Ep-4, he's had years in the business and is very, very good.

7. todd richman

Thanks Bluesbreaker, I will definitely call him-he sounds like the right choice. I am a bit leary after reading all the bad press on that guy from Fuzzorama, Kurt Pena.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

Kurt has closed Fuzzorama because he got a corporate day job. I corresponded with him several times and bought parts from him too. He's stopped being an Echoplex tech, tho.

bluesbreaker, does Jeff Olinger have a website? I'd like to add his info to my echoplex page.

9. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Todd, I emailed you my guy's info and the email bounced. Email me again and I'll give it to you again.

10. todd richman

Tom, I got it the second time around. Many thanks as always...

11. bluesbreaker59

Not to my knowledge yet. He's also building his own amps, and make his own very hi-fi instrument and speaker cables, of which I use both. His stuff is worth every penny, and he's a great knowledgeable tech, that takes his time and does it all right.

Mention my name, Jason Boggs, when you call, might get you a bump in the line, there's usually a wait, as he is VERY in demand. He's worked on all my vintage stuff at one point or another.

12. todd richman

He also told me about a FET based boost pedal that sounds very interesting with non of the TS type characteristics. I believe he said it is $249. He has a batch coming shortly.

13. bluesbreaker59

Great guy, very knowledgeable too, huh?

14. todd richman

Extremely knowledgeable. He has worked on all the great amps-Marshall, Fender tweed, Vox, etc