EchoPlex-type preamp pedals in 2016?

GilmourD

How do the options stack up these days? I know it's not really an EchoPlex circuit, but does the Xotic EP still reign as king? I notice the only Badgerplex now is the Trilogy. There's the Tony Krank Orbit MB-3, too.

What other options are there? What do you guys think of them?

gennation

I've not compared it to any others, but to my ears, the ClinchFX EP-PRE is fantastic. It just sweetens your tone. If I'm not mistaken, it's also the first pedal on the market designed to replicate the Echoplex preamp.

Interesting. Below is a demo by Pete. I have a real EP-2 that I use sparingly, meaning it stays home and I rarely gig with it, what I do gig with is the Xotic EP which while it gives the livened up sound of the real EP it's not an EP circuit. I ONLY use the Xotic as a boost meaning I don't leave it on all the time. I've thought about getting two, leaving on and the other for boost.

Thanks for the tip on the Clinch though, pretty sweet, and it might be nice (as Pete says here) to just leave it on all the time and then I could use the Xotic as a boost...of course I'd need to see how they sound together. Maybe the Sparkle would be a cleaner boost on top of the Clinch as opposed to two EP type devices. Oh boy, now you got me thinking...because I LOVE the momentary switch on the Sparkle!

Here's Pete...

71strat

The Kyle Chase Secret Preamp, and Clinch are about the only 2 I know of that actually run on the correct 22v.

The Secret Preamp also uses the Exact same NOS parts that are original to the EP3.

The SP is also 2 EP3 preamps in 1 box.

A toggle switch changes between the early 70s bright EP3, to the late 70s darker EP3.

This IS an EP3 preamp, and not just a copy. It gives 6db boost.

www.chasetone.com secret preamp.

buzzp

How do the options stack up these days? I know it's not really an EchoPlex circuit, but does the Xotic EP still reign as king? I notice the only Badgerplex now is the Trilogy. There's the Tony Krank Orbit MB-3, too.

What other options are there? What do you guys think of them?
I've never thought that Xotic EP was king.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
The Xotic isn't an EP-3 preamp, more of a "regular" boost with a sweet EQ.

I have the ClinchFX EP-Pre and love it. The tinkerer in me want to try the Chase tone as well.

When I A/B'ed the EP-Pre and Belle Epoch , the preamp of the BE was a letdown for me.

True, but I don't think it adds that "sweetness" that the Clinch FX or Badgerplex add.
when they were finalizing part values and component selections i think they overlooked perceived sugar levels. no where near enough sweetness. also i think it doesnt sound purple enough and its too circular in its sound.

camilok

Strymon Deco has a very nice tape saturation/tape preamp, independent of the flange and delay effects. I have never played through an echoplex, but I like it enough to give it a spot on my board.

Worth a peek, at least.

71strat

What function does have before a delay? I have one myself but I use it near the end of the chain as an always on.

While of course my Delay isn't a true EP3, I use the EP3 with either a Moog MF104M, or my Moog Minifooger, and when I use the Tape Echo on my Delays, the preamp gives it a more EP3 EQ, and adds Harmonics. It simply rearranges the voicing of the MOOG. Also I believe the preamp of the EP3 is first in the original machine, and then goes into the tape. So the preamp must be before delay.

Scott57

I was interested in the Clinch FX but I really stopped looking after getting the Chase Tone Secret Preamp.

Trending Topics