Echoplex: which model?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Anje, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Hi,

I think I'll go for an old Echoplex, but still wonder which model to choose from the EP1, 2 or 3?

do you know what are the pros & cons of each model? Any tone / feature / reliability-service differences? Are the tube models "better"?
    Which one do you prefer - advice ?

Thanks!

2. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi I have a EP4 and like it a lot great sounding tape delay in fact I had one in the 80thies and always regretted selling it.
    Here in Holland you can't find EP2 or 3 but I am glad to hav emine EP4 this model also is becoming rare.
    Peace Strat58

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

everybody has their own favorite, but i think the majority of people find the maic to be in the old EP3s. That's not to say the others aren't great though!

4. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

and EP-3 are also cheaper, which is nice :)

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars Supporting Member

I like the EP-3's myself.

I used to use a long term loan EP-2 and as cool as it was it was just terrible in terms of actually using it. I later got to try an EP-4 and didn't care for it much then after trying an EP-3 I knew I had to have one...I got my hands on a 74 EP-3 and haven't looked back!

I think they have a killer tone and have much less problems than your average EP-1 or 2 and to my ears they sound better than the EP-4's.

Good luck, let us know what you get.

6. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

thanks for the input, I'll let you know how it goes :BEER