Echorec Tech in USA???? Re-wire job!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derekrlew, May 25, 2008.

1. derekrlew

derekrlew Member

Just thought I would throw this Hail Mary in case anyone out there knows someone who has any experience re-wiring these puppies who lives in the lower 48.

Even if there is a tech out there looking for a challenge - I would love to hear from you.

I have an Echorec 2 - tube model - that actually works pretty well except for the fact that it doesn't give any echoes longer than 80 ms or so. But the "reverb" is killer and it regenerates well.

Any thoughts on anyone up to the task of a re-wire?

Thanks! Derek

2. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

didn't see this until now--

i rewired a solid state one--and my friend rewired a solid-state one also.

you really need to do this yourself. 1) the tube version requires more time rewiring than a solid state one. 2) i spent probably around 20 hrs or so (maybe more) doing the rewiring. 3) imagine paying some tech $50/hr (likely more) for 20 hrs.

all you need is a soldering iron, a desoldering braid (or suction deal), some solder, some wiring. i can try to walk you through it--but here's a very useful thread i started when i did mine:

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?t=44596&highlight=echorec

i had no real skills other than a byoc pedal before this--so you can do this--it just will require a little patience.

3. vorvick

vorvick Member

What a great problem to have!

4. derekrlew

derekrlew Member

Thanks so much HiWatt Bob -

I have the tools - and a little experience - just need a bit more confidence. I tried taking it apart - but went in from the front panel. Found out later in a phone conversation with Eric Snowball at ESE the way in is through the back and bottom.

I play on the road ten months a year - so will keep my Hail Mary up here in case anyone wanys a gig that I can afford!

Aloha from Alaska, Derek

5. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

like i say--it just takes patience. just do one wire at a time, make drawings, and take a ton of pictures. sometime it's necessary to do more than one wire at a time--and it's nice to have a bunch of pictures/drawings to consult in case you forget.

6. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

7. derekrlew

derekrlew Member

Looking at YouTube!

Thanks so much for the tip!

As far as Binson stuff goes - that is a plethora of info.

Thanks!