1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Eclipse m_bandtaps

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by swinginguitar, Feb 11, 2019.

1. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

I did some exploring on the eclipse this weekend - in particular the _taps algorithms.

Does anyone have some experience to share on whats possible with the seemingly endless ways to rout feedback to/from on those series delay lines? Would love to hear some tips and tricks.

For instance, the default patch for bandtaps is a sort of rhythmic filter thing that is tempo synced - quite cool.

2. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Nice. Things happen a little differently on these algorithms vs. the parallel delay algorithms.

The input is summed, then send into the delay network. Each of the 4 delays is connected to the filters and mixer, so each one is colored and heard. Then you have have the option to tap feedback off of either and route that back to the network.

The filters here are key to creating some nice stuff that sits behind your guitar. Sweeping them can create either wide, pronounced effects (like the preset) or a more subtle sense of movement and animation. With 4 different delays and EQs, there's a lot of potential for creating a mesh of rhythmic coolness here. Even sorta analog-voiced stuff (only sorta) is possible - like the PCM's mband algorithms.

The serial/feedback routing is where things get really interesting on these. Diffused delays with filters are very nice and easy to do, not to mention very interesting chorus/delay combinations.

I mainly use this algorithm to add color and movement to a reverb. You can use the sends, LFOs, different filters to create a more complex tapestry of color on top of a reverb module. Placing diffchorus before this module can also reveal some very cool new sounds.

Eclipse is King.

3. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

I've declared it my "marooned on an island for life" box

I need to jump in and play some more with the taps - i kinda got overwhelmed at all the different ways to do the taps

you mentioned diff chorus - how cool is that, and those plex algos!? so much texture available!

hydroquebec likes this.
  4. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

I think my point of confusion with the _taps algorithm is...

the delays are in series, but each one feeds the color > mixer in parallel as well?

so if i feed tap 4 back to dly 1, will i hear the feedback all the way back thru all delay lines, as well as in parallel via the color mixer? does the feedback go both ways as well?

5. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Yeah, I would always keep an Eclipse around. It has so many perfect algorithms inside of the box and can be used to create an incredible amount of variations.

DiffChorus is basically a modulated diffusor. Placing something like that before Reverb16 can create an incredibly dense reverb. Modulating the diffusors + the reverb's delay lines to a small degree creates very detailed sense of smoothed movement on the late reflections that disappears off, into the distance. Really good stuff.

And yeah, those plex delays are amazing...I want to use UltraTap more, but I have always had trouble understanding that algorithm. It seems very much unfinished, compared to where it could have gone.

6. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Based on the block diagram, yes. This would be the obvious way to do this to hear each tap, rather that combine each tap until the final product is something like 2000ms.

Yes, it's fed back through all of the delay lines from the point of each insert, but the important thing to know here is that since each tap is still connected to the mixer, this is where more complex rhythmic delays come in - you're going to hear them all. This algorithm could effectively be setup as an interesting 4-head magnetic delay. That feedback delay adds the time variation.

7. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

so there's only one feedback control, and thats the 'master' one that you choose the location....each delay doesnt have a fb of its own...?

i agree with you on ultratap - coulda been great

on the plex algos - am i correct that you get access to the delay time but the feedback is fixed? I havent dug in deep enough to undertsand what exactly is going on in those 'boxes' on the page

8. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Not that I know of. Just one of the delays can be fed back into the network, and it is that feedback loop that keeps being repeated. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember this to be.

It is fixed for each delay line in the plex. That feedback can be considered a master control for the feedback network itself, affecting all delay lines. These modules are really useful for creating matrices of rhythmic delays and even more useful for creating feedback delay networks in reverbs. This algorithm sums the inputs and outputs in stereo.

On UltraTap, i think the use I've found best is creating early reflection models for complex reverbs, or inverse reverbs, but without modulation.

swinginguitar likes this.