Ecstasy 101b blue channel versus Shiva gain channel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EelEye, Aug 1, 2008.

1. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

For those of you who have either owned or tried both the XTC and the Shiva, how would you compare/contrast the blue channel on the 101b versus the Shiva's gain channel?

2. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

In my experience with both, the XTC Blue channel is much tighter and focused. It is also much richer in the lower mids (in a good way) but not muddy at all. The Shiva is a bit more loose and dark. They are both good, just different. YMMV

3. Lution

Lution Member

I have owned both a 6L6 Shiva and an Ecstasy 101B at the same time. I still own the 101B.

Both amps' OD channels are killer, but sound completely different to me.

The Shiva OD channel reminded me of a hotrodded plexi. Not what I would consider high gain, but medium to medium high gain. A great 70's hard rock sound. It Roars like a Lion!!

The Ecstasy Blue Channel is much smoother. More earthy, woody tone, less open than the Shiva, and a little more compressed.. squishier and creamier. When both channels are boosted they have close to similar levels of gain, maybe the Blue channel has a tad more.

I think both are incredible sounds and depending on your preferences, either would satisfy you.

The Blue channel did it for me personally. This is "The Sound" I'd been looking for a long time for... so the Shiva was sold because I couldn't keep them both.

4. NAV1147

NAV1147 Member

The blue channel on any ecstacy or especially the 100b is in my opinion Reinholds greatest sound

5. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

Have them both.

While the Shiva OD channel is great in it's own right, the 101B Blue Channel is magic.

The Blue channel has great combination of woody openess and a slight compression for tight rhythms and leads.

By far, my fave OD tone.

Matt

6. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I have to agree. I had a Shiva el34 that I liked pretty well but after having my Ecstasy classic for about a month now I'll have to say the Blue channel is much tighter and richer for me than the Shiva ever was. Both good amps with good tone but they are definately different and your tastes will make you lean one way or the other IMHO.

7. EelEye

So does the 101b's blue channel have more "juice" to it? In other words, how gainy does it get?

Everybody talks about the Shiva gain channel as being a "modded Marshall" sound, which I don't really agree with. While the 101b's blue channel is usually called a "plexi" channel, does it have more gain than the Shiva's gain channel?

8. Lution

Lution Member

People might be getting the Plexi Mode in the Ecstasy mistaken for the Blue channel. The Ecstasy has a "Plexi Mode" that can be assigned to either the Blue or Red channel. This is a completely different thing/sound from the regular Blue Channel.

As I said above, The Blue channel seemed to me a slight bit gainier than the Shiva OD, but not by much.

If higher gain is what you need the Ecstasy Red channel is good for that. It's also a great sounding high-gain channel. Will get you that 80's metal sound, but smooth and organic at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  9. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

The Blue Channel has more gain than the Shiva OD channel, and IMHO sounds better than the Shiva when you roll back the volume knob for dynamics or as a rhythm/lead option.

The Plexi portion of the Blue Channel works well as a platform for pedals if you are so inclined.

Matt

10. billm408

billm408 Member

I have both a 6L6 Shiva and 101B and you can't go wrong with either. I'm in the majority on the Blue channel... there's a special tonal quality about it that's both rich and organic. It also has more gain on tap than the Shiva. To me, the Shiva does have a certain JCM800 quality, but with more bottom end and low mid growl that the Marshall lacks. One difference to keep in mind though is that you need to play the Shiva at gig volumes to get the gain channel to really sing and the 101B will sound great at almost any volume. YMMV.

11. EelEye

So is the blue channel good with pedals (specifically overdrive and boost pedals)? Or does it have some preferences with certain pedals (e.g. tubescreamer clones...)?

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

My experience with both amps mirrors yours. If only Bogner built an amp with the Shiva clean channel and the XTC Blue channel.

The Blue with the boost on is truly a thing of beauty - full, thick, creamy, responsive, with a bit of a saggy/loose feel to it.

13. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

+1000

I have owned 3 or 4 Shivas and the same number of Ecstasy heads, both 101Bs and Classics. The Ecstasy does sound good at nearly all volumes. The Shiva, IMO, at lower volumes sounds buzzy. I think it really has to be cranked up to do its thing.

A few weeks ago, I saw Pink (she played at our company party). Her guitarist had a Shiva and a Les Paul and he sounded fantastic! No buzz - rich, juicy and sweet. It gave me gas for another Shiva.

Daughtry played after Pink and I thought his band sounded really average. Where the Shiva stood out in the mix for Pink, his guitarists didn't have nearly the same punch.