Ecstasy compared to Fulldrive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ruger9, Feb 22, 2012.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I know there's umpteen Ecstasy threads, but I'm looking specifically how it compares to the FD2 (especially the PRE-mosfet FD2)...why? Because the FD2 is my desert island OD and the one I am most familiar with...

I'm suddenly curious because I recently saw a close-up of the Ecstasy, and saw the "smooth/open/crunch" switch...and was wondering if this was anything like the Vintage/Comp-cut/FM switch on the FD2 (a feature I love), and also how the X compares tonally overall to the FD2.

2. leonardrock

leonardrock Supporting Member

I've owned the FD-2 and presently own the Ecstasy....IMO, no comparison. The Ecstasy covers the FD-2 and so much more. The FD-2 can do the FD-2.....if you like the FD-2. Although borderline blasphemous, I haven't liked a single dirt box from the Fulltone camp I've bought/tried (Plimsoul, FD, GT-500, OCD v.2 and 4, Octafuzz, Fat Boost)

However, I love the Mini Deja Vibe....that one's welded to my pedalboard.

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Well, no offense, but that doesn't weigh well with your opinion on the topic then! :p But thanks for trying!

4. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Ecs has lots more gain on tap, but can get semi-clean. The old FD II never gets as bright as the Ecs can.
    I still have my no-MOSFET FD II but the Ecstasy gets a lot more use these days.

5. leonardrock

leonardrock Supporting Member

I don't get what you're saying here....my opinion is that Fulltone's drive/distortion pedals, to my ears, don't sound good. Out of respect for Fuller, because he fights the good fight and raises the bar, I simply threw in a compliment about the MDV since I essentially bashed his entire product line.

6. rico1204

rico1204 Member

Can the Ecstasy do the FD2 comp cut mode?

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

You said they were quite different. The only detailed comparison you gave was "I don't like Fulltone stuff"... it's just not very helpful to the original question. No offense, thanks for checking in, but I'm looking to find out how the FD2 compare/don't compare... not "one's great and one sucks". :p

FWIW, I've been thru all the legends... Klon, KOT, Zen, Varidirve, etc etc etc etc and the FD2 (pre-mosfet) has remained my all-time favorite. Don't like any OTHER Fulldrives I had (all versions of Fatboost), but the FD2... it's not legendary for nothing.

How do they compare...

smoothness?
    thickness?
    clarity?
    is the switch on the ecstasy anything like the switch on the FD2? And most importantly, is one position on the ecstasy switch like the comp-cut mode on the FD2?

8. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I'm interested in this too since I like the comp-cut mode on the pre-mosfet fd-2.

edit: never mind my previous comment, I had the Ecstasy and Eternity confused, but I'm still interested in how it compares to the fd-2 in compcut.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  9. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Basically, I think some of us, who have longed for a single-size FD2, are wondering if the Ecstasy could "do" it. But a key is that is is capable of sounding like the FD2 comp-cut mode... I've been thru alot of dedicated clean boosts, and I have yet to find one that works as well as that comp-cut mode. And the fact that is part of my favorite OD is icing on the cake. But never using the Boost, I sure would like a smaller box...

So far, the closest I have come is the Wampler Paisley Drive. The drive is a bit grittier on the Paisley, but it has "mid bump", "less mids", and "mids pulled back" modes, making it very similar in function to the FD2... and it's thick & fat like the pre-mosfet FD2.

I guess maybe the BYOC OD2 is supposed to be similar? Unfortunately, even if it is an FD2 clone, it's a MOSFET version... to bright for me.

10. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

IF FD comp cut is essential, I haven't heard that exact sound anywhere else. I like it, too.

11. jogden

jogden Member

I owned one of the earlier models of the FD2 (#11875 or something close to that). So it wasn't a MOSFET version. I've also owned the Ecstasy.

I wouldn't say they are in the same camp. As one person already said, the Ecstasy can probably get close to the FD2, but not exact. The Ecstasy really has a character of its own. I found it to be far more bright and lively than the FD2. The dynamics are definitely way more apparent, regardless of the mode you select. The Open Mode on the Ecstasy may be about as close as you'll get to the Comp-Cut Mode of the FD2, still I think the FD2 comes across much warmer.

The Ecstasy can get quite hairy/fuzzy depending on the mode you are in, so again that's a pretty distinct divergence from the FD2. Overall it packs significantly more gain of many flavors and that is something you'll have to wrestle with, if you're looking for that comp-cut sound.

If you're looking for flexibility, the Ecstasy probably will offer that to you in greater quantities than the FD2, but if you're looking for FD2 inside of the Ecstasy, I wouldn't be quick to sell your FD2.

As an alternative, but definitely not the FD2, I would recommend the Wampler Black '65. It it can get pristinely clean or nice and gritty, and the 3-band EQ offers a lot of tonal options.

12. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Nice... thanks for that detailed comparison, so the Ecstasy is off my list... the search continues for a single-sized FD2 pre-mosfet... I'd have to have one built for me, I think.

13. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

If you're looking for a FD2 in a smaller package, the Timmy can do it dead on. I have both, and the (pre-MOSFET) FD2 has been my OD for a decade now. Thought the Timmy would replace it (it did for a while), but I missed the boost channel.

I tried the Ecstasy a while back and didn't care for it. YMMV.

14. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Amp11 will do it, too. Lots of FD2 similarities including 2 "channels" with a smaller footprint.

15. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Had a Timmy... with the dip switches in the right place, in can indeed sound a HELL of alot like the FD2. And, with the treble open up, like comp-cut mode. Tru dat. I was hoping to have that stuff on a switch, just easier to flip between vintage/FM/comp-cut depending on guitar/pickups/etc. When I do that on the FD2, I usually don't even tweak the knobs- I just hit the switch.

With Timmy, I'd have to bend over to tweak the knobs, if I could even remember where they went for each "tone". I know it sounds a bit silly, I just prefer pedals I step on & not tweak all the time.

A timmy with the 3-way toggle would be the Holy Grail OD for me, once I set the dips to asymmetrical/compression.

16. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Isn't this supposedly a clone of something? (not trying to start anything, please...) I've never heard it compared to FD2? I'll have to check out some Amp11 threads.

17. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Me too, brother! Another reason the FD2 booted the Timmy back off my big board (though it will be on my little one).

FWIW, like you I have been trying to kick that big ole FD2 off my board for 10 years now, but it just keeps coming back because it does exactly what I want it to do.

You may just have to learn to embrace the big powder blue box, my friend...

18. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

:D I know, I know... it's probably coming up on 10 years for me as well. I have a custom shop fiesta red one tho... :p Long live the FD2!

19. rico1204

rico1204 Member

Alas, my GAS keeps me looking for something to replace my FD2. But years pass, and still can't find one! Long live the FD2 indeed.