Ed King/Strawberry Alarm Clock - What fuzz?

Pablomago

In 1967 your choices were pretty much a Maestro Fuzz Tone, Vox Tone Bender, Jorden BossTone or Mosrite Fuzzrite. And the built in fuzz on a Vox Super Beatle amp. Fuzz Faces began to appear, but were few and far between. Didn't they play Mosrite guitars or am I thinking of Iron Butterfly?

As for what he actually used, I haven't a clue. A friend had that album and we listened to it a lot. But I don't think I've herd it since other then the hit single.

In 1967 your choices were pretty much a Maestro Fuzz Tone, Vox Tone Bender, Jorden BossTone or Mosrite Fuzzrite. And the built in fuzz on a Vox Super Beatle amp. Fuzz Faces began to appear, but were few and far between. Didn't they play Mosrite guitars or am I thinking of Iron Butterfly?

As for what he actually used, I haven't a clue. A friend had that album and we listened to it a lot. But I don't think I've herd it since other then the hit single.
He had a Maestro and a Vox Tone Bender. http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187860&page=2&highlight=vox

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member

Both bands used Mosrite guitars, but Strawberry Alarm Clock had those whacky one off guitars in the bright colors. Iron Butterfly used the regular Ventures model, but I'm sure both guitars had those same crazy high output single coils. Iron Butterfly also used the Mosrite Fuzzrite, no clue what SAC actually used fuzz wise.

Ive tried to get that sound, and have never quite nailed it. I've tried a Fuzzrite clone, FZ-1A clone, AM Peppermint, as well as others. The recording seems to have a strong midrange emphasis in a weird fuzzy way, so I think maybe an early Tone Bender or BossTone could get closer. In any case, its a classic fuzz sound!

101Volts

They did have custom Mosrite guitars, But I have yet to see a video of them playing them. I read that Semie Moseley made the guitar bodies and sent them to Von Dutch who finished them.

charge

Def sounds like a Maestro to me, especially how the fuzz sound trails off on the last notes of phrases.

Trending Topics