Ed King's guitar collection for sale.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Floyd Eye, Jan 5, 2019.

1. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Just checked out some of that Americana and it sounds pretty country to me...it ain’t EDM!

I’ll wait to see what Ken Burns has to say about it.

lousyatit likes this.
  2. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

I wonder if the speakers in that amp are Pre-Rola? That thing looks like a tone monster. It's a lot of coin but $5,000 isn't really that bad compared to modern stuff.

3. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

had to chuckle when i read this and obviously had to respond with a rebuttal and challenge.

Certain characteristics of that guitar would remain, it's always going to be a bolt neck guitar with single-coil pups...but if you think anybody else could make it sound just like Mr. King your fooling yourself.

If you want to post a video of yourself playing just the beginning of SHA, just the intro, and make it sound just like Ed, i'll gladly apologize for my remarks, but i'm not in the least bit concerned that will happen.

I do wholeheartedly agree with your statement that tools don't write songs people do...and Gary, Ed and Ronnie wrote one of my all time faves in SHA whatever key you like it to be in.

RIP Ed King

4. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Not to mention I believe he wrote some songs for the new “A Star is Born” and has probably ghost-written for some well-known folks. Homeboy’s touring constantly, winning Grammys, AND getting that mailbox money? Yeah, that’s worth a burst or two.

5. scotticus

scotticus Member

Arg, Eventide again?! :mob

6. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Thats my point. Ed King wrote the song - Ed King played the Song. Since as you noted
    no one is going to make it sound like Ed King - then what makes that particular Stratocaster
    worth anymore than another 1973 Stratocaster? Celebrity Status - which I don't value
    at all. And in the scheme of things - it doesn't matter what I think! LOL!

Also I should add that my thoughts about the value of a guitar has nothing to do with the respect
    I have for Ed Kings accomplishments as a guitarist and songwriter. And more importantly the guy
    remained unaffected by his Celebrity - I met him once (I think at NAMM one year) and in the midst
    of the chaos surrounding him - he was a complete gentleman to me - and took extra time to talk
    to me about guitars and songwriting. And in a quite funny story - he told me how lucky he was to
    have touched lighting twice.

7. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

I'd estimate more like $100k for the strat SHA was recorded with, just on its history. Though some collector will probably gladly pay the asking amount. Kind'of reminding me of SRV's strat or Nile Roger's.

8. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Sorry sir, I have no idea what that means?

9. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

sorry if i misunderstood your intent...please accept my apology. I thought it was speaking to the tone and characteristics of Ed's great playing being somehow inherently in that guitar.

Great story of meeting him..good for you and i'm jealous! I think i'd just stand there for a few seconds in deep respect.

I'm funny about Ed writing SHA...he didn't, totally, he co-wrote it, but that's still more than most of us could ever dream of. That single guitar lick caused me to bug the sh%#* out of my mom to get me a guitar.

your friend,
    dale

jcs, gtrdave and wntbtw like this.
  10. Sloop John B

Sloop John B Supporting Member

What a beautiful collection. Ed had great taste.

Someone mentioned Entwistle's collection; I was under the impression that his affairs were not in order when he passed, hence the massive auction of his collection which apparently flooded the market for a bit.

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  11. TylerE

TylerE Member

I'd say that's a beast of a different color since A: It's a '60 Strat which would be pretty valuable on it's own merits, B: It's actually something special as an instrument - it has a real sound of it's own, it's not just another Strat and C: For the collectors, the sheer number of hit records that guitar was used on everything from (obviously) CHIC to Duran Duran, David Bowie, Daft Punk...

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  12. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Sounds like wise choices, all around. Owning a guitar in Syndicate with Isbell would be a great idea. He's one of the surest rising stars, and his ownership brings additional cachet and value. Shrewd business decisions seem likely here. Insure the schidt out of it, in any case.

13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Just Thank Goodness it did. Personally, Joe's a real decent guy, decent player but I personally don't think his acquisition of many instruments with an existing pedigree helps their value - might diminish the value a bit. There's worse things that can happen to an instrument. I'm so in fear of what's liable to have happened to a lot of Neil Young owned stuff.

14. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Yes, Ed was actually inspired by a lick that Gary was playing (the 2nd guitar part in SHA) which caused him to write the main SHA riff.
    Neat how that just happened and it resulted in their biggest hit.

I agree with you and others about the price of that Strat. I mean, I understand why someone would think that the provenance of the instrument's relationship to that song would drive the value up, but nearly half a mil??
    I'm curious to see if it sells and to whom.

15. jcs

jcs Member

Thats right Ed King co-wrote SHA.

For me, its a song that doesnt really reflect Skynyrds style much at all......similar to how Dickey Betts songs differed from the early Allmann Bros sound.

Its far too country and not blues rock enough to be typical Skynyrd but obviously Skynyrd were shooting for a huge radio hit and though Ed King was at least half of that song, he didn't write both opening guitar licks.

Sadly, the fact that most of Skynyrd didnt like Ed King much at all, including Ronnie puts a weird perspective on SHA....its all in the Ed King interviews btw.

If SHA had not happened, i wonder how long Ed King would have been in the band?

Ive wondered more about the other guitars in Skynyrds early days and the amps as well......big Allen Collins fan here btw.

wntbtw and maplebaby like this.
  16. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

I believe it’s his chorus.
    Words and music.

$450,000?
    Man, I need proof for that kinda money. And since he ain’t around to verify....$1500 sh/pp. That’s my offer.

17. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I would put it at nearer to $12K. But then again I don't care about who owned a guitar
    prior to me - mostly because I'm the one that will be playing it from then on. And AFAIK
    I don't have any top ten hits. :D

18. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

Dang...that guitar sounded good

Guitarheel62 likes this.
  19. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I notice he had four Goldtops with stop tailpiece & P90's, no TOM... Interesting. That's my favorite configuration. I prefer it over 'buckers and a TOM.

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Weird stuff that Carter's should be beyond. No mention that the green, maple top PRS is a CE-24 from the mid-90s and it's obviously been modded from a dual humbucker guitar, not built that way by PRS. Similarly the other one is a Standard 24 (likely) not a custom, also modded and refinished all over. The only proof it's a PRS at all is that it's unlikely that Ed King would play a chinese copy. And yeah, JM Trainwreck Liverpool is 30w, and even with Ed King owning it, not worth $10k. The 1930 amp has alnico speakers, look like they might actually be Goodmans but I'm not sure. It's certainly not "Marshall Tone at low volume" according to any references I've seen.

That said, some very cool guitars there. Nice looking Martins and Gibsons, I'd be proud to own!