Ed King's guitar collection for sale.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Floyd Eye, Jan 5, 2019.

1. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

I bet he can afford it quite comfortably.

2. sws1

sws1 Member

Since a Liverpool is based on a VOX AC30, awfully liberal with the descriptions of how it sounds.

I'd want several experts to go over that remaining burst with me. That dark heel bothers me.

3. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Country music was one of RVZ's earliest influences. You can hear that in Mississippi Kid, Train Song and others, so whatever country influence you're hearing in SHA was not odd for them, but just an exercise of their influences.

The earliest Les Paul's were all made without TOM bridges. The first Les Paul to use it was the '54 Custom and then it showed up on the gold top 'standard' the following year.

Both PRS guitars are described in some detail when you click on the picture at the Carter's website, including the fact that they were built as regular PRS guitars and then modified per Ed's desires.

4. 22Top

22Top Member

Lol those modded PRS Customs are just awful.

MoarGear likes this.
  5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think the comment about the wrap tails is not that we don't know that they came before TOMs, just that EK apparently preferred his P90 Les Pauls as wraps vs TOMs. An interesting tidbit.

As to the custom 24s, the green one does mention the obvious mods but doesn't mention it's a CE-24, the black one says nothing about mods, refinishing or anything. There's no evidence it's a Custom 24 (maple top) at all, and the only proof it's a PRS at all is the body and headstock shape since even the PRS logo on the headstock has been painted over. There was some mention of Ed having a specific neck carve he liked on his PRS guitars, it would have been cool to do a little digging and find out if these were stock originally or Private Stock, and who did the mods?

Pedro58 likes this.
  6. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

The price of 70's Strat's are getting out of hand

7. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Any one in the music business today may need a 2nd job as a custodian to afford said instruments....

marktweedy and Coli like this.
  8. meterman

meterman Member

Beautiful stuff, wow.

9. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Uh oh, did I miss something? What happened since yesterday?

A-Bone likes this.
  10. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

They are cheaper to acquire, too.

11. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Price went up...

marktweedy and 27sauce like this.
  12. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Is the guy in the video Carter?

13. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Could you go into this a bit more? I don't see how Bonamassa acquiring or not impacts the collectible value at all.

14. Blackguard13

Blackguard13 Member

Never seen this!!! Thanks for the post!

HesNot likes this.
  15. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

EK wasn't the only one who preferred the wrap tail LP over a TOM. I prefer them also. Bloomfield used one during his stint in the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. It sounded amazing. I've played a few over the yrs. Vintage & newer. The owners of such LPs wouldn't want a TOM anywhere near them. Intonation be damned. ;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  16. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Did he prefer them? TOM p-90 50’s Les Pauls are probably the rarest variation of the LP standard. Could just be a result of opportunity, there are literally thousands more wrap-tail p-90 LPs out there.

He had a p-90 Les Paul with a TOM and humbuckers.

17. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I may have overstated, but I think that I have heard over the yrs. that he did. I do know a few players that I have met over the years who have owned LPs with wrap tails who much prefer them over TOMs. I do.

18. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I just find in conversations with collectors and player/investors, they kind of resent Joe buying so much stuff but they don't complain if Clapton or Beck buys something. That's their prerogative. I don't exactly disagree with them. I'd rather own a guitar once owned by Dave Davies or Gene Cornish or Carl Wilson. Or Jason, even though he's far younger than me.

I admire Joe's abilities but frankly I wouldn't pay an extra nickel for a guitar he once owned - he's sort of like a guy over there on the other side of some imaginary fence. Too much of his decision making is transactional. But at least I would own something Joe once had. I'd drop something Ace Frehley owned like a hot potato. Until we see some definitive evidence Bonamassa ownership would help an item I would prefer to go with what I know.

19. JonathanPierceBand

JonathanPierceBand Member

I was in the right place at the right time on 12/4/18 when everything came into Carters from Ed’s house.
    They wheeled this touring case in with his name on it and I said whats in that? They said an all original 1959 Fender Bassman. I said it’s mine, I’m buying it right now. Didn’t even plug it in and turn it on after they showed it to me. It just spoke to me and said buy now.

When I got it home and plugged it in I was blown away how incredible it was. Easily the best sounding Bassman I’ve ever heard.

I have a Two Rock Custom Clean so I put them in stereo and played. I can’t put into words how beautiful it sounded. So I will post the videos soon on my instagram @JonathanPierceBand

I told Isbell that he could bring Redeye over on a any day to let the two ponies run.

Super thankful and honored to carry on the tones of a legendary guitarist. SHA solo is epic. All hail the King. RIP Ed. HUGE thanks to Christie and Walter for making my dreams come true. This amp will be on my album in 2020.

Pics here:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    GoKart Mozart, gtrdave, kev and 6 others like this.
  20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! I was super happy to be in a position to pick up GE Smiths Brown Bandmaster, that Bassman would have been really hard to resist. Have fun with it.

JonathanPierceBand likes this.