Ed King's guitar collection for sale.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Floyd Eye, Jan 5, 2019.

1. jcs

jcs Member

Nice! Hope the electrolytics have been replaced though.

JonathanPierceBand likes this.
  2. jcs

jcs Member

Brownface Bandmaster? Which circuit?

3. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

Plus, they had Jason Isbell demo'ing the "Sweet Home" Strat. Carter Vintage is an incredible store.

4. DCross

DCross Member

The thing that gets me about the strat is that it says in the description that he changed the pups in the 90s. So they're asking $450k for a 70's strat and it doesn't even have the same pickups that were used in the original SHA recording! That's huge, IMHO. Like buying a '65 Mustang Shelby with a motor from the 90s or something.

RCCola, spaceman39 and HesNot like this.
  5. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

Some good discussion here that combines a few things relevant to my interests - cool guitars and Jason Isbell!

You never know the truth exactly but at least based on various interviews and documentaries Ed seemed like a bit of the outsider in LS - Californian and more of a technical player perhaps - but the contrast helped make them what they became... Anyway he seemed like a good guy and as mentioned a no BS sort of dude. If this sale helps his family financially it's hard to argue with the strategy.

Since I don't fly at the sort of elevation needed to collect famous and/or rare guitars maybe I'm ill equipped to comment on pricing, etc... but something is worth what someone is willing to pay and provenance matters from that perspective. Whether they are worth $X is just a function of the market - we'll all find out soon enough.

I am a big fan of Isbell - he hits a lot of right notes for me as a player, singer and songwriter. I'm equally a fan of Sadler Vaden as a player. Isbell is an interesting guy - Van Halen and metal fan, country/americana whatever player and songwriter and a better guitar player than many realize. And a guitar nerd on top of that (his Rig Rundown is a treat). I'm glad he has Red Eye and is using it - he certainly seems to be having fun based on his Instagram feed...

As for Bonamassa - I get the sense his true love is going on his "guitar safaris" and finding cool stuff off the beaten path. The search and quest seems as important to him as the acquisition itself - I'm not sure how much he values or pursues guitars owned by famous people specifically.

Whether either of their ownership would increase the value is up for debate I suppose ...

Jim Holloway likes this.
  6. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Duuuude. That’s painfully cool!

JonathanPierceBand likes this.
  7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

6G7 (5 tube preamp)-it's a bit noisier and a bit more "phasey" than the 6 tube preamp that I've got in my Bandmaster Piggyback.

8. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

If a ‘73 Strat is the guitar equivalent to a ‘65 Shelby...?!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    sws1 likes this.
  9. DCross

DCross Member

Not even close, lol. But I was giving it extra credibility because SHA was written and or played on it (as if the guitar wrote the song). A normal 73 strat is probably closer to a Ford Pinto (don't beat me up, 73 strat lovers, it's all in fun).

10. jcs

jcs Member

To me, what's a bit strange is a band from Florida with 1 member from California writes a song about Alabama but it had much to do with the times (yes i was a teen in the 70's)....its among the last Lynyrd Skynyrd song i listen to because to me it was an attempt at a hit single and has little resemblance to most of the catalog.

Ronnie had the 'country tinged voice' they say (unlike Gregg Allman) so SHA was 'all by design' and very similar to what Dickey Betts was writing with ABB at that point imo....'get the hit on the radio'!

As for the 70's Ed King Strat, do we really think we will know how much that guitar actually sells for, if and when it sells?

11. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

Muscle Shoals...

jcs likes this.
  12. Jimmy Zaleski

Jimmy Zaleski Supporting Member

Ed King purchased 'Redeye' from Music Museum in Pitman, New Jersey in 1983 for $7,000 when $5,000 was going rate, and long before pricing on those guitars went through the roof. There was a handshake agreement on getting the guitar back which got lost in the shuffle of its theft shortly thereafter and time, which was frequently discussed with Ed before he died. Music Museum is still an active business and still deals in vintage guitars. I occasionally also advertise guitars on Gear Page. I personally conducted the transaction as owner of Music Museum. I still have a letter from Ed which identifies this guitar by serial number. It was a personal guitar of mine.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  13. jcs

jcs Member

Excellent info! I remember in 77 looking at ads in Guitar Player at real bursts in the $3000 range, which was doable for many.

I'm very surprised more bursts were NOT bought up by famous players......apparently money had other priorities in those days with many stars in and of course Les Pauls weren't real fashionable again until Guns & Roses came along (though Eddie Van Halen wasted no time buying a few himself early 80's).

14. jcs

jcs Member

But Skynyrd never recorded at Muscle Shoals.

Imo, SHA lyrically was the contrast between what went down at Muscle Shoals musically along with George Wallace, Watergate etc in that time frame.

15. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

Say what? They have an album specifically of Muscle Shoals recordings. Maybe I'm missing something. By no means am I Skynyrd expert.

16. drewl

drewl Member

Don't forget in the late 70's early 80's Bursts were just "old guitars" at the time.

No one knew their "worth" until the internet told them. ;)

17. jcs

jcs Member

Fwiw, my fav Ed King songs are; 'Workin for MCA', 'Saturday Night Special' and 'Whiskey Rock and Roller'.

Matter of fact, not only do i usually skip over 'SHA' i also skip over 'Freebird'.

Too many bar bands butchering these songs thru the years maybe!

On 'Gimme Me Back My Bullets' Ed Kings song writing was sorely missed imo.....

cottonmike likes this.
  18. cottonmike

cottonmike Member

Ed said that he thought the anti establishment, "Things Going On", should have been a big hit. Of course, he played bass on it, but he really thought it was special.

So do I. A great protest song with no focused specific target-just the Man.

gtrdave likes this.
  19. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

They recorded over an entire album's worth of songs at Muscle Shoals in 1971 and '72. Jimmy Johnson produced it and was going to get major label backing to release the album, but that didn't happen. The album and its contents were shelved until "One More Time" (one of the songs from the session) appeared on Street Survivors, which Ed did overdubs for in 1975. And then after the crash they released the bulk of the album as Skynyrd's First...and Last, including more songs w/ Ed's '75 overdubs. Ed's parts in "Comin' Home" are the perfect counterpoint to the original lyrics and Gary and Allen's guitar parts.

Years later, Skynyrd released Skynyrd's First: The Complete Muscle Shoals Album which included everything recorded at those '71 sessions in their original form.
    Some of the songs were also included on the original Skynyrd box set.
    I own all of the above and then some.

If you're going make claims, at least make sure your claims include facts. :)

20. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

RCCola and gtrdave like this.