Ed Sheeran-biggest $$$ tour of all time.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Buzzard Luck, Aug 4, 2019.

1. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I don't listen to the radio, so I'm only passingly familiar with ES and his music. He has talent and obviously he's a musician who writes his own music--so the comparisons to boy bands or teen idols from the 70s are wide of the mark--even if he's catering to a similar audience. I actually played a Sheeran cover (All of the Stars) yesterday as a side man for a local artist and I thought it was a nice song for her audience (she's 22). I won't be adding it to my setlist, but I understand why someone would.

I understand why his music doesn't appeal to many on TGP, but for some reason I'm still surprised by how strongly the curmudgeons come out with the hate and nostalgia.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    2HBStrat and tapeworm like this.
  2. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

The Rolling Stones can be included in that - unfortunately for them age is chasing them down - the last 3 or 4 YouTube videos of this last years performances are a bit sad and indicative of that old cliche' 'The Spirit is Willing But The Flesh Is Weak'. - - Paul McCartney isn't on the list - I'm pretty sure he is the only one out of his era that still writes new songs - and interesting songs at that. His last album - Egypt Station went to #1 and he was 74 when he recorded it. The song Dominoes is brilliant IMO - and a real standout over the last 30 years. Still the last few YouTube Videos I've watched of McCartney reveals his only age related weakness - his voice. His playing and the rest of the band is stellar - but the gem that has served him so well over the last 65 years has reached the end of the line - he has nothing to be ashamed of - here's a man who has given us all so much over our lives.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  3. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

and this guy.

4. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Wow, I've never seen Andy playing straight ahead. I think I like him in this setting too, it completely takes him away from the blues playing & so fresh.
    I have seen Mimi in some video but don't know about him.
    Thanks for the video. :)

5. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Her...

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  6. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

omg, really.. She's quite graceful & lovely playing.
    Thanks. Wow.

7. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

She kills, as does Sheryl Bailey.

Oriondk and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  8. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

we had the big league chew...best gum ever for about 45 seconds till the flavor was gone
    we used tennis balls...wiffle was for wussys lol

9. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Wait - Ed Sheehan is Irish? He’s hidden that well!

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  10. murraythek

murraythek Member

Ed Sheeran is ridiculously talented. Imagine if he had 2-3 other guys who were on his level to start a band with....

There are so many like him out there who are talented yet ride alone. I cant help but wonder if these guys would join forces just how successful they could be.

11. Strat

Strat Member

i don't think a band would do better than he is already frankly. He sold out WEmbly The Divide Tour became 2018's highest-grossing tour with $429 million, setting all-time records for the highest-grossing solo tour and highest year-end gross ever.[23] It then broke the all-time highest-grossing record of $735m for any tour set by the U2 360° Tour. He's doing ok

12. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

How could Ed Sheehan get more popular? He’s one of the most popular artists worldwide at the moment. I not sure that getting into a band would boost him any.

2HBStrat likes this.
  13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Yes...he's even dyed his hair red to hide his Irishness...
    I don't...it's hit records based on guitar music in an era when guitar is no longer at the forefront of popular music...IMO everyone who would like to see guitar music still being relevant should champion him...

Oh, he's not Clapton or Beck...I see...well, at some point those guys will be gone...they're already not on the radio, and neither are Bonomassa and (your favorite unknown guitarist)...at least Ed Sheeran IS a musician making music using a guitar and IS on the radio and IS one of the top musicial artists today...

murraythek, johnh and Original_Fire like this.
  14. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

The target audience for his music is teenage/young women and they are in pretty short supply here. So even if one appreciates his music, the songs will likely miss. I generally fall into that category. I don't dislike his music, but it doesn't really connect with me. Which is fine--different strokes. Also, he plays acoustic guitar and for various reasons those guys don't get as much mention/respect here, particularly guys who aren't traditional lead players.

And he's young. For at least some here, if the music isn't 30+ years old, it isn't good.

I've never understood the need to champion guitar-based music, though it's something I see here sometimes. I just like good music. Some of it is guitar-based and some isn't. It makes no difference to me. And those who champion guitar-based music aren't usually talking about Sheeran or The Avett Brothers (acoustic). They are taking about GVF and bands that play a modern version of classic/hard rock.

Vaibhav Joshi and Tim Bowen like this.
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Fair enough...we agree on most points...

lp_bruce likes this.
  16. mikeratan00

mikeratan00 Member

17. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

First time I heard him was just him and his guitar and thought he was pretty good. He was doing more of a folk type song. I just watched about 6 videos because of this thread and have to say I liked most 5 of them.
    This is a pretty nice song, but he looks kind of weird.

18. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Mimi Fox was on Jude Gold's podcast not that long ago. Here's one way to get there, though obviously you can go through your usual podcast channels if you like.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  19. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Thanks a lot, didn't get a chance to listen to it during work.
    Will listen to it tomorrow. I love jazz folks being interviewed.

20. Sencha

Sencha Member

I can actually hear him right now. Out my back window. He's playing the forth and last of his "home coming" gigs to finally finish up this tour. He lives just a few miles away. He's playing in a big park in the town and everyone who has a window open can probably hear him. My brother dislikes him with a passion, I'm ambivalent about him but didn't wish to spend the cash to see him.