Eddie Van Halen in a pedal ... which one?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by peequin, Mar 6, 2006.

1. peequin

peequin Member

Trying to get a high gain lead sound similar to Eddie Van Halen or Joe Satriani. I want a pedal where pinch harmonics jump out and smack you in the face. Edgy, cutting etc etc etc. Sustain for days.

I have a OCD right now that isn't getting there. Stacking the OCD with a COT 50 gets closer but not yet.

Running a Les Paul with Darkbursts into a TopHat Club Deluxe. I don't want to do whammy divebombs. I just want that great lead sound.

Interestingly, my Line 6 Toneport with the Soldano model does an amazing job at this...albeit only through Headphones.

:RoCkIn

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

3. jero

jero Member

The BJF Dyna Red comes to mind.:angel

4. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Later Ed, sure Soldano is a fine choice. Early Famous EVH tone was not a amp that had high soldano type gain at all, barely ANY sustain in contrast to popular opinion. The Cot50 or the crunch box or the OCD should be the least expensive great way to get a Fender to coax out early Ed. BJF DRD would be an excellent choice for early or more recent Ed on most amps. The GL TMB is another awesome to dime that tone on a more vintage marshall that can almost nail the tone already. With any amp, the Stage Hog will nail any EVH tone and a lot more other tones with true amp -guitar vol. roll off.

5. RickB

RickB Member

+1 on the Crunch Box. Closest I have found to date.

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Crunch Box! easily can do EVH.

7. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

8. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

A lot of booze, a few pounds of coke, a ton of Winston cigarettes, a beat up guitar with an original PAF or a Duncan EVH and a nice '69 plexi Marshall-that and a half Dutch/Half Cali Surfer dude accent and you are there! I would seriously try the Duncan EVH or even the Genesis/Jose Palmiery Mr. Browney pickups and a good old Marshall-forget pedals for that sound-Ed didn't need any...

9. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

THe Kaden Brown Creeper is a great EVH sounding pedal. Harmonics galore.
    A

10. Lution

Lution Member

sorry to hijack the thread...
    I happen to have one of these for sale on Ebay and I'll post an ad here too.

It does the EVH sound very well, it's just not the tone for me.

It's a 4-knob BSIAB II. Item number: 7396233927 on Evilbay.

11. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

LOL, I almost bought that sucker the last time it was listed(of course I was gonna wait to see if I could get it at that $65 start price though). ;)

12. Lution

Lution Member

It's yours for $80 shipped if you want it: http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=136483

:dude

13. Grady

Grady Windjammer Gold Supporting Member

+1 Crunch Box

Strat>Tim>Crunch Box>Morning Dew> Super Chili Picoso>Kingsnake Head>4x12-12h30=EVH

Grady

14. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

15. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

For the price, I ordered a crunch box, just to hear what it's like. I can never have too many pedal choices!

16. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

I was going to say Barber Direct Drive but man, you guys all seem intent on this crunch box. This is one of those threads where I have to buy something just to hear it. Never played one and it's got me curious.

I know Satch uses a Barber Burn Unit but I think that pedal is a little "round" on the highs to pull of VH tones. Great pedal, just not Van Halen IMO.

17. peequin

peequin Member

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I may be purchasing a Crunch Box too -- for $99 what a steal