Eddie Van Halen interview on YouTube

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EADGBE, Feb 18, 2015.

1. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. Iron Guns T

Iron Guns T Member

A very enjoyable interview. They may have edited the part where he lays claim to invention of the wheel, internal combustion engine, first flying aircraft etc. At least they kept the potted pickups bit. The man is a legend but also has quite a vivid imagination. I would like to know if he was the first to put a humbucker in a Strat styled guitar though. Don't get me wrong, I do consider EVH to be a guitar god........besides some of his more fantastical 'memories'.

3. gulliver

gulliver Member

I'm happy to hear him speak like a normal person rather than a rock'n roll survivor ... he seems more "with it" than other interviews within the decade.

I only caught a few minutes so far, but yes ... this could turn into a mythbusters thread.

More than the technology, I've always wondered if there were other players who played "roughly" within that guitar style before him; out of the California metal scene. Randy Rhoads comes into play shortly after the first Van Halen record. Did Randy learn from Eddie, or was that scene and that style already well developed.

...were there any great players of that time and music that were long forgotten.

Or, did Eddie start it all? ...as far as California metal goes. At least, that's what we used to call it at the time.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  4. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

did he really just say that tablature was invented to be able to transcribe what he was doing? lots of fanciful stuff there. the voltage/variac stories are always fun too. what a great talent though.

5. Faded

Faded Member

At least he looks good. Dressing and grooming like an age appropriate succesful man instead of the Affliction t-shirt wearing dyed hair contemporaries of his.

6. Ricardo P

Ricardo P Member

Great interview. Thanks for sharing!

:aok

7. Ricardo P

Ricardo P Member

No. He said that they had to invent ways to transcribe what he was doing in tablature.

8. 0018g

0018g Member

Eddie has sometimes come off as surly in recent years, but he seems very comfortable and friendly here. He was engaging and entertaining, plus he looks healthy-very refreshing. Some of his claims are, ahem....QUESTIONABLE, but his place in musical history is pretty safe. Thanks for the link.

9. _jmp

_jmp Member

10. _jmp

_jmp Member

"i couldn't afford all the toys that everyone else had, so i did everything i could to get the sounds out of the guitar"

"necessity leads to innovation"

good stuff here

11. Irreverent

Irreverent Member

I've met Edward VanHalen. In my experience, he is a very gracious, humble, and engaging gentleman.

Peace.

12. Russ73

Russ73 Member

Just watched the entire thing, sad he didn't mention how VH met or anything about Dave or Michael Anthony....

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

Dang, the video is no longer available. I wanted to watch the whole thing when I have time. If anyone finds a working link, please share. I don't mind watching the commercials ;)

14. AsIs

AsIs Member

The full video is here... https://vimeo.com/119590157

15. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

He may not have been the first. But he definitely made it popular.

16. cardinal

cardinal Member

He was not the first to put a humbucker in a Strat. I'm no EVH worshiper, but I think he may have been the first to really show what you could do with it, though.

17. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

18. mrfett

mrfett Member

Thanks for posting that, awesome interview.

19. Fred McMurray

Fred McMurray Member

Good stuff. Ed looks great for a change - sobriety is treating him well.

20. Twangcat

Twangcat Member

I don't want to spoil this for anyone who is planning on watching the interview but hasn't done so yet, but Eddie's answer to the question from the audience as to who among deceased musicians he would like to play with was a sure sign of where I believe Eddie is in his life and in his own skin now. It was sincere and a great moment in the interview.