Eddie Van Halen: The Complete 1978 Interviews

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by JasO, Aug 28, 2011.

1. JasO

JasO Member

In celebration of my 100th article for the Jas Obrecht Music Archive, I thought I’d do something special, so I went back and re-transcribed my complete 1978 interviews with Eddie Van Halen. This first of these was done in July at the Day on the Green concert in Oakland, California. This was Van Halen’s first world tour and first appearance in northern California, and the band played like they were on fire. Afterward, Eddie and I shot some basketball, and then he asked me if I’d interview him. I happily agreed and turned on my tape recorder. This turned out to be Eddie’s first major interview, and mine too. This backstage conversation, which has never before been published in its entirety, is lively and insightful. Eddie covers how they got signed and recorded the first Van Halen album, and then goes way deep into his gear – his homemade guitars, as well as his effects, amps, songwriting, how the band works out parts, etc. Jon Sievert, who took some great photos that day of Eddie with the original black-and-white Strat, let me use his artwork on the post.

A few weeks later, Eddie and I spoke on the phone to clarify info from the Oakland interview. In this part, Eddie spoke about how he tricked out his guitars to stay in tune while using a whammy, why he loves P.A.F. pickups, his plans for the second album. Near the end, I asked him what the best part of being on the road was: “You know, the chicks, partyin’, and playin’. You just gotta take it in stride. You can’t get too bombed out at night, and then you feel ****** the next day.” Anyway, there’s a lot of classic Eddie here, so hope you enjoy it! Here’s a link to the complete interviews: http://jasobrecht.com/eddie-van-halen-complete-1978-interviews/

2. High Gain Junkie

High Gain Junkie Member

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

3. buddy62

buddy62 Rock N Roll Ain't Noise Pollution Silver Supporting Member

Classic - Thanks JasO...!!!

4. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

Very nice, thanks!

I'm glad we finally got the Variac truth form the horses mouth... if I read one more time that he under powered his amp with it....

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Awesome. Read those things a 100 times as a youth. Man, what a great band, player...

6. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

Damn, Jas - you are just awesome. Thanks for sharing! Loved it.

7. zorak

zorak Member

Fantastic! Thank you so very much for posting this. There is so much "hating" on EVH on TGP daily, it's great to see the interview and remind us why Eddie will always be one of the most important figures, not only with the electric guitar, but in pop culture.

8. johan

johan Member

Awesome!
    What a classic.
    Those were the days, right?

9. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

really reminds you of so many aspects of the guitar playing, guitar modifying, and amplifier modifying he did (which at the time sounded so foreign)...

10. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Wow! Molto bene -- fantastic!

11. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Just read that interview! It was fantastic - thanks for posting this Jas.

That issue of Guitar Player with Eddie on the front cover, and the long interview with him inside it was probably the first ever guitar magazine that I bought. I kept it until I moved house about 3 years ago too!

It was the magazine that got me into guitar playing and set me on the path that I am still on today (and that my sons are taking up)...so thanks very much for changing at least 3 lives here!!) :aok

EDIT: I've still got another follow up GP magazine featuring Eddie, but I still wish I had the first one with him playing the black & yellow (?) frankenstrat...

[​IMG]

12. FredW

FredW Member

Thanks Jas! Great stuff as always. I loved the part about the trem set-up. Great interview

13. speedtaco

speedtaco Member

Thanks Jas. I can't tell you how nice it is to actually have you post on this page after all these years of knowing just your name. Eddie is, and has been, my standard for guitar playing for many years.

14. Baminated

Baminated Member

thx !!!

Totally dumbfounding how he was playing like THAT after 8-10 years of playing !

my favorite quote so far,
    JO:
    What are your plans for the future?

EVH:
    Plans for the future, man, just to keep ****in’ rockin’ out! You know, playing good guitar.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  15. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

I was 12 when VH1 came out in February 1978. This was the album that made me say "holy crap, I'm gonna learn how to play a guitar!" I remember a buddy firing this up on his record player and we just looked at each other in disbelief. We were both big Kiss and Black Sabbath fans, but neither of us had ever heard anything like that. We wore that album out, playing it over and over. "Blown away" is an understatement. Damn.

This is a great interview, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for taking me back to that time and place.

16. floydfanatic

floydfanatic Member

Great read! I really enjoyed that, thank you.

17. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead!

Thanks, Jas!

:beer

18. JohnnyGtar

JohnnyGtar Member

Jas, thank you SOOOO much!

19. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

That was a great read...thanks for posting the link!

20. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I'm looking forward to reading this when I get home tonight.