1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Eddie's amp tone on "I'm the One"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by morglan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. chance0

chance0 Member

The old bootlegs aren't really all that high gain either, though. They sound like major abuse of an amp, a speaker, and perhaps even a mic. But VH1 was truly a watershed event in recording. The snap of the high end is unreal, and much more so than all subsequent albums, which, while still quite "brown", didn't have the juiced up high end that too a generation of rock fans by surprise. It was really a sonic firecracker and flamethrower of a recorded tone. Just incredible.

highfidelity66 and gitfiddler99 like this.
  2. chance0

chance0 Member

Yup. Just a great recording, post-eq, and mixdown and at that tone is yours-all-yours.

It's not high-gain; it's just high-tone.

indeedido and primal like this.
  3. JK1965

JK1965 Member

So much of the 70's stuff is a treble booster. When I got my Naga Viper I ran it into a Plexi Drive then into a Boss DD-7 then into the Down Brownie set for some crunch. Immediately thought of EVH. This is without really tweaking the knobs. Could be fun to see how close I can get with this setup.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit to find that he used a treble booster. The fact that he doesn't mention it means absolutely nothing. They were kind of a secret weapon in those days.

Jakeboy likes this.
  4. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

That's pretty much what Templeman said happened. I remember reading an article, I think in Guitar World July 1985, with the headline "I just hit record".

5. Lance

Lance Member

I think you're right.

PLX likes this.
  6. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

a LOT of the definition,
    simply comes from eddies right hand,
    his pick attack.

when he plays the fast lines on 'spanish fly', it sounds almost the same,
    the character of each note, i'm talking....

7. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

If you listen to the ISO guitar track from I'm The One, there's an edge to it that you don't hear in Pete Thorn's demo.

Now, I realize he's not specifically going for the tone on that track..

but my point is, that track (ITO) stands apart from every other track on that record because of the attack Ed is getting.

morglan likes this.
  8. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

I'm no EVH expert, but the JBL cannot be overlooked.

9. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

There's a picture (I'll see if I can find it) of a 4x12 cab Ed had with 3 Celestions and 1 aluminium cap JBL in it.

10. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

It all comes into stark relief with Pete Thorn’s closing Eruption demo ....

Seth L likes this.
  11. monty

monty Member

Marking for later reading. I love that tone.

12. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

It's integral for the Van Halen I sound for sure. I've seen that pic too.

PLX likes this.
  13. gitfiddler99

gitfiddler99 Member

Ed used the superstrat on that. Most other songs were on the Ibanez Destroyer with super distortion pickup on the rhythm tracks, anyways. Could explain the different tone.

14. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

I've seen live clips of VH that sound sort of the same, I always assumed it was power tubes or an OT that had half given up the ghost.

morglan likes this.
  15. Jecht

Jecht Member

This. I was going to post this vid until I saw that you did. John Suhr, Dave Friedman, and Mike Soldano have all come out and said that EVH's amp was bone stock and the key to that tone is turning the voltage down to about 90 volts with a variac. It's why the SL68 has a built in variac mode and Pete's demo is a perfect demonstration of the brown sound. In addition to this, you just need a PAF loaded guitar, a 4x12 with greenbacks and that'll get you a tone as brown as any M&M. Not sure why there is any debate on this anymore...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  16. binge

binge Member

Eddie has crazy strong fingers too, which would have helped with sustain, listen to this:

17. gitfiddler99

gitfiddler99 Member

It may have been stock, but those amps were built with a wide tolerance allowed on component specs, because suppliers weren’t always able to provide consistent product , especially in the late 60’s. And at the time those guys poked around in the magic amp, it had faded quite a bit. That’s why he went to Soldano and Peavey. In fact, that’s why they were working on it, he wanted it restored to factory condition to see it it could get the mojo back. It didn’t work.

The last recorded song with it was “ Aftershock” on 1990’s F.U.C.K. It sounds NOTHING like the amp on the first 6 albums. Even on 1988s OU812 it was losing a lot of gain. Which points to component fade as the culprit. He basically got lucky with that amp. Caps have a lifespan. Transformers do too.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  18. Wagster

Wagster Member

These threads crack me up. You take a nice sounding Plexi, variac, green or blackback loaded 4x12 and you're there if you have the chops and touch. It ain't rocket science.

19. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

This one made me....

[​IMG]

squittolo likes this.
  20. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I still say Ed's old tone is pretty high gain. He had more gain then pretty much all of the players from that time period. That's one of the reasons people swore his amp had to be modded because of the amount of gain he was achieving.

PLX likes this.